1982 GW, 24' Project (UPDATED W/PICS)

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: 1982 GW, 24' Project (UPDATED W/PICS)

OOOOOOHHHHHH MAN Lx so sorry to see that !!!!!! John

LX Kid

Ensign

The last registration decal was "1999" so I figure it sat in his backyard, uncovered, for about 9 years. I'm really glad that he said the boat was mechanicaly solid. Can't understand why I had to replace soo many engine parts and have the outboard foot welded up. "Go figure!" At least when my project is finished I'll know that I can trust this boat to go anywhere and get me back. The aluminum tanks don't seem to be scumed up inside and I put gas from them into my truck. Did'nt have any lacquer smell and truck running good so far. Going to have tank bottoms welded up, where they were sitting on floor, as they have corrosion pitting and could leak thru. Glad I took the tanks out and checked them over. Thanks to person suggesting that I remove the tanks and check them out!!!! Can't find his posting to say who it was. Ron

TANKS ARE OUT!
S6001201.jpg

TANKS ON THE GROUND,
S6001203.jpg

WHITE SPOTS ON TANK BOTTOM ARE CORROSION WHERE THE TANK WAS IN CANTACT WITH THE HULL. THEY WOULD HAVE ERODED THRU AND GAS WOULD HAVE FILLED THE FUEL BAYS! YIKES!!!!

S6001198.jpg

LX Kid

Ensign

Can someone suggest a material to bond to the bottom of both tanks to better support them. The problem with the corrosion points was becasuse the tanks were sitting on top of the 3/4" forward bilge drain line. (See pic of fuel bays) All the wieght was sitting on the bottom center line of the tanks. I'm thinking of bonding 6"X2" stips of "something" on both sides of tanks bottom to keep weight spread out on the hull's bottom. Has to be like a hard rubber so tanks won't settle and loosen up when installed back in fuel bays. Thanks, Ron

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Ron, I needed something like that on one of my car restorations. There were 1/4 to 3/8 thick pads where the body mounted to the frame. What I came up with was conveyer belt material. It is rubberized or pvc based. I also used a strip under my gas tank in the TR3. You can get it from Epperson Conveyer belt, they are in Tampa. Number is 800 886 6125. They should be able to hook you up!
Also, the trip out of Bayport Tuesday was great. A little cool in the AM, but warmed up nicely. All the bait had moved deeper so we couldn't net any, had to sabiki some pins and squirrelfish. Got them out to about 25' and the grouper bite was on big time! Trying to post some pictures. Good luck with the tanks. I think that conveyer material will work well....:)

LX Kid

Ensign

Thanks Rick, that does sound like it would do the trick for me. I'll look into that possibility. Might even go "dumpster diving" looking for something to use. Ron

(Yeh, I like dumpster diving!)

LX Kid

Ensign

Had the tanks repaired and picked them up today and also started demolition on the fuel bays too. Cool weather moved in and will have to let some moisture evaporate a couple of days or so. Here's few pics. Ron

S6001206.jpg

S6001205.jpg

S6001204.jpg

S6001207.jpg

LX Kid

Ensign

Just keeping this post alive. Went down to DMV and titled and registered the boat and trailer. Trailers in Florida don't require titles, just registration. I looked all over my trailer and could'nt find a serial number anywhere. I just processed the paperwork and hope that a differant serial number does'nt appear on the trailer at a later date. Probably start rebuilding the aft fuel bay on Monday. Ron

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My 3-Week Project (I Hope!)

Re: My 3-Week Project (I Hope!)

i hope you hit your time line.......rule of thumb with boats is .....x10 ! :eek: :D

cheers
oops

Well, Ron, seems as tho 'ol oops may have your project pegged! Your original post of needing two weeks raised some eyebrows...but, hey ya gotta give a guy credit for some optimism :D

You sure have been thorough and the project has gained some fame and a name, so not all bad. Thanks for the update, and don't forget, the grouper bite is on big time up this a way..;)

LX Kid

Ensign

Hey Rick. Well the boat seemed better than she actually was. I guess there's nothing like experience and I seem to be getting a lot of it. LoL You just never know what you got until you start tearing em down and checking and even then there is "always" the unforseen and the unseen! (Sent you a PM) Ron

LX Kid

Ensign

Hey "FBT!" You're more anxious than me! Had some set backs but things are smoothing out and I have all the materials to do the fuel bays. Ordered and received a few more necesities like a new Cobra VHF radio, 8' whip antenna, new fuel tank sending units and foot lube pump. I will consider myself lucky if I'm done by Xmas. Relatives will be here next week so I don't think much will get done except "fishing!" Ron

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Hey Ron............was just wondering how you were progreesing. You are doing a great job!!

Just removed all the teak from the helm area on my Grady.............going to look at re-facing the bulkheads as you did,

Good luck...............I'm already looking forward to spring!

LX Kid

Ensign

With rain, fishing and a house full of relatives I think my "get up and go, got up and went!" Excuses are the mother of blame so that I can't take the responsibility for "get-n-r-done!" Think I'll have to think about it some more. LoL Check out the fishing pics. TriumphRick done good! Ron
Fishing trip: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286660

FreeBeeTony

Captain

great pics.............I commented how jealous I am that you guys are fishing in december and my grady is sleeping in my backyard.

Now...............get back to work on that Grady!!

LX Kid

Ensign

"Someone" left the steam valve open and forward motion seems to have stoped. Feel like I'm just floating along with the tide. Gotta stoke the fire, close the valve and make sure the paddle wheel bearings are greased. My son got a new girl friend and have'nt seen him in a month. "Women," go figure! Guess I'll have just keep on keeping on!

"WHAT CAUSES SOME OF MY PICTURES TO NO LONGER APPEAR FROM PHOTOBUCKET?"

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Don't beat yourself up, Ron. This time of the year there is all kinds of other distractions and activities. Granted, the weather here has been pretty good as late. Also, went back out last Thursday and we got zilch, zero on those spots we were on??? Anyway, fish seem to have lockjaw right now, so nose to the grindstone after the holidays!! Have a good Christmas. Rick and Barb. :)

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay LX , if you get more then 100pics in a folder in photobucket it strait to delete the frist ones !!!

Just make a new folder in there and keep going !!

and kids go figure !!! hahaha John

LX Kid

Ensign

POP & SON finally back on the job again! Started back preping the fuel bay wells for new wood and fiberglass. Having to trim out old wood and fiberglass so we can get a good fit of the replacement wood.

S6001297.jpg

S6001298.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

POP AND SON ??? what happened to the girlfriend ?? lol JOhn