Looking for definitive info on glassing a transome to my particular boat

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: Looking for definitive info on glassing a transome to my particular boat

thanks for the compliments john......and im truly sorry for the bad advice i gave you on the proj......lets hope the divers can get if full enough of ping pong balls to raise it from davie jones locker...:eek: :eek: :D :D

ill try harder on the crown line....:D

ok....take a chain saw....start at the keel......then make a mold...then add a cuddy.....then......:D

HAHAHAHAHAH , what you were right when you said check the transom really well , and i went back and sure enough it was shot !!! You the man OOOPs !! I ment it I wouldnt have made it with out all your help !!

NOW WERE NOT USING ANY CHAIN SAW ON THE CROWNLINE !!!!! hahahaha the wife would shoot me if she came home and seen it cut in half , like yours !!!! she will want to know when you show up !! and why you didnt stay for dinner !!!! lol

Darren if you need me to run up there Anytime I will be more then happy to !! and oops you are right I have done it in my sleep !!!!! lol

Darren your transom its not curved is it ?? if it is its not that hard to bend the plywood , just cut slots in the wood , then epoxy or poly, but it shouldnt be curved thow , if i rember it right !! It took me a couple of hour to get mine out after the top was off !! John

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Darren if you need me to run up there Anytime I will be more then happy to !! and oops you are right I have done it in my sleep !!!!! lol

I think I'm all set. thanks for offering.

All I need to know is what type of cloth I need for the deck. Will the 8 oz woven be adequate????

Let me know which is best and I'll put in my order of the glass and polyester resin this weekend.:) Winter is coming up quick.:eek:

Darren your transom its not curved is it ?? if it is its not that hard to bend the plywood , just cut slots in the wood , then epoxy or poly, but it shouldnt be curved thow , if i rember it right !! It took me a couple of hour to get mine out after the top was off !! John

The transom is flat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

All I need to know is what type of cloth I need for the deck. Will the 8 oz woven be adequate????

ok......yes the 8 oz is adequate.......HOWEVER......anytime you lay any polyester rsesin and cloth...(woven or other) on any hard surface.....thier must be a layer of chopped strand mat between the hard sufrace and the cloth......(bi ax with a csm backing is different)

the csm will bond the substrait to the cloth by adding stregnth to the resin rich layer between the substraight and the cloth......

so if you can get an 8 oz matt/csm combo.....or a 7 oz woven and a 1 oz csm...that will work.......

dont panic is you are less than 8 oz by a smidgeon....or over by a lot.....(25 oz)

remember UNwaxed resin....some 1708.....some csm and a lighter woven product.... some glass bubbles....cabosil......and lots of little plastic buckets and paint trays and rollers....ooooh .....and 5 gallons of aceitone.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

love the bat boat , are you going to get the cannon to fire ??? air or water ??

If you are talking about the Batzooka, those were made from a toy that was quickly recalled. They can be found on ebay in the hundred of dollars now so I will have to McGyver one from another toy bazooka.

I started making the Marine Repellent cans in recent days. All I need to do is to go to a scrap booking place to find the right sticker letterings and I can finish them. http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1214534419

your up north a little farther then where my buddie grew up , your closer to the bridge then he was , if the pics in your blog are at your place ??

Yes. The bridge crosses right in front of my house. We get a few suicide jumpers still.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Actually Nemeth is also a very common Hungarian name also. My parents are refugees from 1957.

Nemeth is as common in Hungary and other near by countries as Smith is in the Western world.

It means "foreigner."

And it also means "German" in some places.

There are many different spellings of my last name.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

remember UNwaxed resin....some 1708.....some csm and a lighter woven product.... some glass bubbles....cabosil......and lots of little plastic buckets and paint trays and rollers....ooooh .....and 5 gallons of aceitone.

Okay. Thanks for all of the advise. :)

I am going to begin to round up all the stuff I need today.

To be 100% sure about the Polyester resin I need I have one question. The one called "404 Tooling Polyester Resin-Isophthalic" shown here is the correct poly to get right? http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

From all appearances it looks like it is but I want to be 100% confident before ordering my first 5 gallons.;)

What about the stringers? What glass do I need to put in my stringers?

I tried to find your recommendations on stringer glassing in the hull extension in progress with picks but there are so many replies in that thread that I can't find it anywhere. :(

Looking at my boat, I see the stringers are covered with csm and that is covered with some kind of woven. The stringers are not very tall. Two at the sides of the hull are no more than 1 1/2 to 2 inch high! Should be an easy job. :)

Those are the final things I need to know. Poly resin and the cloth needed for my particular stringers. :)

Thanks again, everyone, for all the help and advise!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Hi Darren,
I am finishing up transom replacement myself, (on an aluminum boat....no glass involved) I thought I would weigh in with the only advice that I have which is actually not in line with the other learned opinions in here.
I weighed the pros and cons of marine ply vs pressure treated and then read that aluminum and p/t are bad roommates. So I was resigned to marine p/w
and needed a full 4 x 8 sheet to get the two 3/4" blanks that I would need to get a 1-1/2" finished wood insert.
I choked on the cost of a sheet of marine and how much extra I would end up with...my transom dimensions are a much like yours. The wood store guy pointed me at baltic birch ply. This stuff is gorgeous, 13 ply!!, dry as a bone, and soaks up resins like Foster Brooks used to soak up gin....and you can get it in 60 " lengths x 30 or 60 ~ and it was about 1/2 the cost because there was little waste.
I ended up laminating with resin and clamping on the back side with wood screws every 8". three more coats of resin and it was ready to drop in.
I have coated every hole through the transom with resin using a q-tip.
With the amount of resin and glass that you would use installing it in a fibreglass hull, I can't believe that it wouldn't be great in that application too.

You can even order it on line:
http://www.woodnshop.com/hardwood/Baltic_Birch_Plywood.htm

Rgds, Tim

Attachments

• Clipper 010.jpg
    Clipper 010.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Darren,
I am finishing up transom replacement myself, (on an aluminum boat....no glass involved) I thought I would weigh in with the only advice that I have which is actually not in line with the other learned opinions in here.
I weighed the pros and cons of marine ply vs pressure treated and then read that aluminum and p/t are bad roommates. So I was resigned to marine p/w
and needed a full 4 x 8 sheet to get the two 3/4" blanks that I would need to get a 1-1/2" finished wood insert.
I choked on the cost of a sheet of marine and how much extra I would end up with...my transom dimensions are a much like yours. The wood store guy pointed me at baltic birch ply. This stuff is gorgeous, 13 ply!!, dry as a bone, and soaks up resins like Foster Brooks used to soak up gin....and you can get it in 60 " lengths x 30 or 60 ~ and it was about 1/2 the cost because there was little waste.
I ended up laminating with resin and clamping on the back side with wood screws every 8". three more coats of resin and it was ready to drop in.
I have coated every hole through the transom with resin using a q-tip.
With the amount of resin and glass that you would use installing it in a fibreglass hull, I can't believe that it wouldn't be great in that application too.

You can even order it on line:
http://www.woodnshop.com/hardwood/Baltic_Birch_Plywood.htm

Rgds, Tim

Thanks for the tips.

I have had the Marine grade ply and am cutting it today for the transom.

I still need info on the glass needed for the stringers and if the above linked "tooling" Poly is the resin I need.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That resin will work fine and so will the lower cost products they have.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

That resin will work fine and so will the lower cost products they have.

Okay. Thanks. :)

Here is what I have coming via UPS this week.

5 yards of 1708
15 years of 1 1/2 csm
15 yards of 6 oz woven

I am going to assume that for the stringers I can use the 6 oz woven and overlap the bottoms with the 1708. I have no choice now because that is what is coming to me.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi batty :D

that will be fine for the strings.
/
hows the rest of the demolision coming?

is it getting cold there? and do you have a shop?

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

right now it is 65 degrees but I think if I tarp the boatwith a small space heater in it all will be okay.

Demolition stopped eariler this month but the rest will be started as soon as the new ply gets here, hopefully, on Wednesday. :)

Thanks for all the tips. :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ya know those white coatco tents work good for any conditions but high winds....and there cheep....a little space heater will take the chill out of the air and a 1000 watt flood lamp will heat a surface to be glassed

rngale

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A quick note on resins, The "tooling resin is mostly used for mold making purposes. It is ussually more expensive due to the properties that are well liked for mold making resins, IE less shrinkage and so on. On the other end of the scale , what is reffered to as "boat yard resin" by the wholesalers tends to be the bottom of line resin they offer. 1708 is a great cloth but keep in mind it doesn't like to bend around a really tight raduis. Remeber that the idea cloth to resin mixture is 60% cloth by weight to 40% resin by weight.