Brand New Motor

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
Finally, after wanting a brand new boat for very long time, I finally did it! And I've switched to Mercury A 90hp Classic 2 Stroke. Picking it up on Saturday. 17 foot Cutter Bowrider.<br /><br />Well my questions are :<br /><br />1. What is normal break in? I have a built in tank. I realize the mixture is to be changed. <br /><br />2. Any thing special to keep this motor running besides regular maintenance?<br /><br />To get an idea, my current motor is an '72 Evinrude. It still runs like brand new and I'll be sorry to see it go. I've rebuilt carbs, I do my own winterizing etc.<br /><br />Any information will be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Tx.<br /><br />Joe

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Brand New Motor

Congrats on the motor...Breakin will be outlined in your owners manual. I hope it is being bought at a reputable store as they will go though the breakin procedure with you. <------------they are supposed to do this.<br /><br />And yes...you will have to add oil to your gas for the first 50 liters.<br /><br />TMD

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Joe....we bought a brand new cutter with a merc back in June. It's a model 171 (yellow) but we went for 115 hp Merc cause we do a lot of skiing/wakeboarding and wanted the extra power. The only problem with the 115 is that it only runs on 2 cyl until you hit 1500-1800 rpm then the other 2 kick in. Supposed to be good for fisherman who troll a lot, you can definitely tell when the other 2 kick in but it still seems to have plenty of power to pull up my 2 sons together, one weighs 230 and the other is 170. Any problems with your boat yet?

paulgp6022

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought a 2003 Mercury classic 75hp. The dealer will tell you how to break it in. ASK them if they added oil to the gas though because you are better off safe than sorry. I believe the ratio is 50:1.<br /><br />I took it easy on my motor for the first 20 hours, then I changed the spark plugs and lower unit oil. Thats it. I like it alot and I'm sure you will too. Good luck

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Boatin Bob,<br /><br />I got a 2004 Cutter with the 90. I get it Saturday. For what I do, I think even the 90 is overkill. I use the boat to go fishing and cruising with the wife. The boat will be in the water May to October at the Cottage. I've got the pole for the waterski ropes but I don't water ski (Total Hip Replacement June of this year....I can finally walk after 20 years--I'm only 35.) How fast are you with the 115? Another Cutter clocks 45 mph with a 75. I was told that properly trimmed, I can get close to 50 mph. <br /><br />I guess I can make it to Hastings in 10 minutes now.<br /><br />Where do you boat?<br /><br />Joe

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

With 3 of us in the boat and a full tank of gas plus some other gear I've played with the trim and according to the speedo I've hit around 53, one of these days I'm going to take out my GPS. I found that if you trim it up too far it becomes very loose, not much of a pad at the back and it will start to chine walk. We boat up at Orillia, I also have a 35' Thundercraft so this cutter is our toy but I'm in a covered slip and it's just big enough to hold both boats. We also threw some extra oil into the gas for the first tank, caused it to smoke a bit more but I think we've run about 4 tanks through it now and it works fine. I bought mine down at Boatland Canada, seemed like the best price at the time.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Captain Bob,<br /><br />My cottage is about 45 minutes from Boatland. That's where I bought it too. I had heard some no so favourable things about Boatland like new motors are actually leased units and the like.<br /><br />Unless they are going to take the motor off that I saw the boat with ( I highly doubt it) I thought they were pretty fair. <br /><br />The only thing I didn't like is that they would not budge in price. Well I can't blame them. I bought the boat anyway.<br /><br />Does the chined hull make any difference?<br /><br />Joe

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Breaking it in. lets see. Run it out of the water for an hour without water going through it. And run straight gas in it. :D <br /> JUST KIDDIN!!! If you want good advise on a good 2 cycle oil for mercury, trust quicksilver. The manual asks for it, and I wouldnt run anything else...<br /> You take care of that baby, she'll take care of you.

majormotion

Cadet

I bought a new Tracker Pro Deep V 17' this year with a Classic 90 2 stroke. Motor has been flawless. Did the recommended break in and I still don't let it run at one continuous speed more than a minute or so. My top speep is 39 on my speedo and 38.5 on my GPS. You may get 45 but, I would be surprised. Good luck with your new boat.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Since I don't have the manual yet, what is the breakin on a Classic 90?<br /><br />Is there an hours check also? What I mean is there a mandatory dealer inspection after so many hours?<br /><br />I usually check my own motor over:<br /><br />Clean plugs once a month (about 20 hours). Check LU half way through season, grease all fittings at this time also. <br /><br />I also jump in the water every couple of weeks and clean the hull lightly. Takes about 10 minutes. What is this get me at the end of the season? A boat that cleans up in under an hour for sad winter storage.<br /><br />Joe

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Joe....I don't know about the motors being leased, ours was brand new out of the box, in fact when I went to pick it up they hadn't even ran it yet, the fuel line was still covered with the factory end. Yes..I tried to negotiate the price but they wouldn't budge but I checked elsewhere and still feel I got the best deal $$$ wise. They are a bare bones dealer and don't want to do anything for you once you've handed over your money. My experience with them was, trailer lights blowing fuse in van, had to fix myself when I got home, found a pinched wire on one of the side marker lights, Convertible top was ripped about 6 in, had to tow the boat to Toronto to where the top was made to have the piece replaced, had ordered a Tonneau cover with it but it never showed (Dealer never put it on the order but he charged me for it) up so got one made while the other was fixed, yellow pinstripping was ripped off in a spot, had to talk with Cutter/Grew to get them to mail me a new piece, fuel guage wouldn't work, found sender and 12v wires reversed on guage, ski locker trim piece missing a screw and 2 others sticking up, younger son cut his foot on one. Other than that we are pretty pleased with the boat and the performance of the engine. Not sure if the steps in the hull really make any difference or if they are for looks. Very disappointed in the dealer and in Cutter/Grew for quality assurance, sent an Email to the owner of Cutter who basically replied "you got what you paid for" if you wanted all those little things taken care of then I would have to charge more....Good Luck with Yours!

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Boatin Bob,<br /><br />That is sort of what I was expecting. My local marina (Stevensons Marina) has always been fair with me so I plan on taking it there if I have any problems.<br /><br />You also replied that you had a Tonneau cover made up for your boat. Can I ask where you ordered from and how much? I didn't even want to bother with Boatland about that top. I will probably rarely use the camper(?)top but the Tonneau cover would be perfect because my dock is a covered one.<br /><br />Let me know on any other problems you encounter jferreira@kronos.com

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Joe...the dealer price for the cover was $650 which I thought was a little high and had thought about getting one made at a local canvas shop however being summer time these guys are busy and it probably would have taken weeks/months to get it, also as this boat was brand new we wanted the bow cover, convertible top and tonneau cover all to match so I ordered it with the boat. As I said before it didn't come with the boat because the dealer screwed up. While at Royal Marine in Toronto (Where all Cutter/Grew tops are made) I asked the owner if I came in off the street what would a tonneau cover cost me and he said somewhere between $500-$550.<br />ps...I didn't think we would use the Conv top much either but have been caught out in the rain several times fishing and it pays to know how to put it up quickly. Oh yeah I forgot we found out that the windshield leaks at the base when it rains, water comes in under it doesn't seem to be sealed very well although there is some kind of rubber strip in there, we put a bead of clear silicone around which helped some but not all.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Being a proud owner of my fourth Mercury outboard(this time a classic 50) my owners manual says to mix 50/1 on the first 6 gals(23 liters)(16fl oz.(473 ml) With oil injection make sure the oil level has went down then can use straight 87 octane.<br /> Break in procedure states vary throttle during first hour of oper. Do not keep at constant speed for more than 2 mins. and avoid sustained wide open throtle(WOT).<br /> If not oil inj. then 25/1(23 liters)(32 fl. oz./946 ml) Break in same but go to 50/1 after first tank(6gals)(16 fl. oz.oil/473 ml)