Converting to pre mix. Help Please

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting to pre mix. Help Please

It may be running fine. We know that the injection type pumps have more capacity than the old style pumps. When OMC produced a commercial V4 looper they used 2 old style pumps in series. Maybe it was an over kill but I'd hate to experiment and find out they were right.

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well if you run out of fuel you run out of oil as well. When a 2-stroke goes lean it goes squeek pretty fast. I used to ice race motorcycles and on a big track you could just about be wide open the whole time. Because it's so cold compared to summer you have to rejet. Get it wrong and boy does it lock up quick. You could check the fuel pressure and flow and maybe see if it meets the specs for your motor. I wonder if you could use an electric fuel pump. I use a Carter aftermarket pump on my 67 Tiger P4594, one line pump with a built in pressure regulator. Bought it at NAPA for about 40 bucks I think. It's not much bigger than a VRO pump and sends enough fuel for a 300 plus hp 289. Go figure.....lol. Where did you go to get your parts when you were at Ahmic? Anyway good to know that a cheap pump will do if my orginial one dies. Cross flow, thats like an old flathead, well it is simple and reliable I guess. My neighbor at the cottage has an old wooden runabout. He was going on about how hard it was to work on the engine, special Grey Marine etc etc.Took one look....old Mopar straight six flat head like in the 51 Plymouth Cranbrook I had. Don't get much more basic than that,cleaned the points with a points file and set the gap with a feeler gauge and he was good to go. I could have come home and looked for my timing light/ dwell meter but not sure where they are now.....lol.....maybe thats why it's hard to get it fixed, no one rembers them. The joy's of old age...lmao.......cheers

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Got it from the Johnson/Evinrude/OMC dealer in Katrine. Forgotten the name of it now but was sent there by the guy from Ahmic Harbour outboard repair. Both places told me that they have done several failing VRO pumps the same way by replacing with an equivalent HP premix pump.
I figured that if it does not get enough fuel then it will lose RPM and still get a 50 to 1 mix for the RPM it is doing. My motor is still topping out at 6,000 rpm with my skiing prop and 5,400 with my cruising prop. It has about 15 hours since the new pump and seems to be fine so far. A 140hp premix pump surely will give enough flow rate as a 140hp VRO pump, it is still a 14 gallon per hour at WOT motor either way.
I stand to be corrected though.

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's Katrine Marine.....lol I thought you might have gone over to Parry Sound to Gordon Bay marine. Did you stop into Port Carmen marine on the way to Burks Falls? Anyway if the gph delivery is the same you should be fine. As for loss of rpm a 2-stroke runs it's best rpm just as it goes lean, really fine line.....then it goes squeek....and if you don't get the clutch pulled in down you go.......lol....sorry rambling again....if the gph is the same should be ok and when going lean it will get hotter so the high temp head alarm should go off maybe? Have to get input from the omc outboard guys, my experince is cars, sleds and 40 plus years of racing 2-stroke bikes.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It's Katrine Marine.....lol I thought you might have gone over to Parry Sound to Gordon Bay marine. Did you stop into Port Carmen marine on the way to Burks Falls? Anyway if the gph delivery is the same you should be fine. As for loss of rpm a 2-stroke runs it's best rpm just as it goes lean, really fine line.....then it goes squeek....and if you don't get the clutch pulled in down you go.......lol....sorry rambling again....if the gph is the same should be ok and when going lean it will get hotter so the high temp head alarm should go off maybe? Have to get input from the omc outboard guys, my experince is cars, sleds and 40 plus years of racing 2-stroke bikes.
Port Carmen where Mercury dealers and had nothing for OMC motors.

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tony at Port Carmen is an ok guy, he used to be pres of the local snowmobile culb. But it's a small shop and does not really have alot of stuff onhand. I have never been in to Katrine Marine, how were they?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Tony at Port Carmen is an ok guy, he used to be pres of the local snowmobile culb. But it's a small shop and does not really have alot of stuff onhand. I have never been in to Katrine Marine, how were they?
They were really helpful and were willing to phone all over the place to try and get a VRO replacement sooner if I wanted, however when I did question if the premix pump was a viable option they spent time explaining it to me and were willing to show me a couple of boats on the lot that they had done it to. I would certainly recommend them if you need anything. They seemed more interested in getting us back boating again than making more money from me by forcing a VRO replacement on me.

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks thats good to know. We go right by Katrine on the way to the cottage. Might stop in the next time we are going by and check out their shop. Do they do sleds as well? The Doo dealer in Burks is just ok.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Never noticed about sleds. (Sorry) but they are well worth checking out.
No cottage this weekend ????