merc alpha 1 won't go into gear

Grant Ingle

Seaman Apprentice
Re: merc alpha 1 won't go into gear

Something to keep in mind with these problems that you are having is that sometimes the union in the shift shaft coupler between the upper and lower portions will wear out and although the linkage above the lower unit is working fine there is simply too much play in that area to allow for a positive shift. I have seen this on mercruiser and merc outboards both. Check for play between the two. On the mercruiser, the play is usually between the brass "foot" and the shift rod and on outboards like the 500 it is usually the plastic and SS "ramp" that slips over the shift shaft.<br /><br />Good luck Fellas.

SNOOSE

Cadet

I have had a simular problem with my 500 where the coupler that joins the selector and the l/u had flogged out and I could only select fwd. Changed the selector rod and wen't into gear fine untill the seal on the drive shaft failed and the gear case was filled with water and exhaust gas which killed the gearbox beond repair. So lesson learnt change gearoil regularly.. :rolleyes:

tema

Cadet

Just an update on my problem. I went out to the cottage this weekend and had a look at the Merc in the boathouse. I managed to separate the lower unit from the upper and took it to a marine shop where a friend of mine works. It seems like some knuckle joint on the gearshaft was stuck, and I pulled the lower gearshaft right out of the l/u. Anyway, the coupling between the prop shaft and the driveshaft is broken, and I don't intend to worry about repair.<br /><br />And the ultimate solution is: A new 4-stroke 50 Hp Mariner. Or something in that direction. At least something that keeps me from worrying too much about the engine for many years ahead...

hundel

Cadet

Ah! Sorry to hear it. I spent 600 on an engine coupler from the pros (totally stripped) and am very happy with it.<br /><br />GOOD LUCK TEMA

tema

Cadet

Thanks Hundel, and the same to you. But in my case, I wouldn't spend 600 on a 1967 Merc (or 350 would probably be a better estimate) because 1) I need a 50 hp engine, and a 1967 Merc 500 is not much more than 40 hp according to current standards, 2) I'm not sure if I can even get the lower part back on when it's repaired, and 3) Instead of working in the boathouse, I want to go out on the sea, I might want to travel for hours in one direction, and I want to be sure I can get back to where I started from.<br /><br />Hence, my solution: Tie a rope to the Merc, sink it down into the water and let it be useful, and use something more trustworthy when safety is a part of the game.