1997 Ford Cruise Control?

WizeOne

Commander
The cruise control on my van recently quit working. I just had the switch in the Master Cylinder replaced on a recall and had hoped that may have been the problem. It wasn't.

Are there any Ford CC experts that can suggest the likely breakdown point? The controls are all on the steering wheel.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1997 Ford Cruise Control?

The last one I fixed (on a Dodge) was due to a broken vacumn line going to it under the hood.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

On my 95 F-150 a vacuum canister went bad and I just had them plug it - and lose the cruise control. It is literally a can connected to rubber hoses. It produced an extremely loud whistle when it went out. It is my old "beater" that is unlicensed and only plows snow.

Bottom line, could be a vacuum problem?

puddle jumper

Captain

Your van may have a recall on the cruz. We just got a bunch of recalls for that on our ford fleet. The other thing is there is a plug on the side of the master cylinder and if its not plugged in your cruz wont work ether.

WizeOne

Commander

...Your van may have a recall on the cruz. We just got a bunch of recalls for that on our ford fleet. The other thing is there is a plug on the side of the master cylinder and if its not plugged in your cruz wont work ether.

The recall and the hydraulic switch on the MC are one and the same. That is just what I had replaced. They are constantly (normally) live and apparently the cause of many an unattended fire.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

They may not have fixed your cruise then. They may have done the disconnect until we can fix it later fix.
if you take it in for the repair and they don't have necesary parts they disconnect it until they get thematerial needed. At this point I would think all the garages have everything needed.
I took mine in for the fix and it still works although they did manage to screw up my outside thermometer. I have no idea how they did that but.....

puddle jumper

Captain

The recall and the hydraulic switch on the MC are one and the same. That is just what I had replaced. They are constantly (normally) live and apparently the cause of many an unattended fire.

The recall i was talking about is a wiring harness that thay install between the master cylinder and the mane harness. It has a fuse in it so the wire can`t short out and cause the fire. I didn't know about the hydraulic switch recall.