how do I wire a tach without a charging system?

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have an '86 Mariner 30 hp engine with no charging system, I need to install a tach.<br /><br />I went to the local Mariner dealer who told me I needed to buy a rectifier to go from AC to DC power, which the tach and then charging system would run off.<br /><br />Anyone know what I should do?<br /><br />Thanks<br />-John

Johnshan1

Re: how do I wire a tach without a charging system?

By the way I do have a battery on board, and already have a tach. Im assuming theres gotta be some way around this problem, basically just gotta get the signal from the lighting coil to dc right? Then the tach could read from it....<br /><br />Schematic- any ideas? I know you know your stuff.<br /><br />I should be able to figure this out as I went to school to be an electrician.... but im stuck.<br /><br />Thanks for any help. I want the tach so I can get the right prop for this boat.<br /><br />-John

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

If your already charging a battery with the lighting coil ,you have to be already rectified as that coil makes AC voltage.The pulses that it takes to make that voltage are what your tach is counting.Problem is the pulse signal on this system is too weak to pick up at the tach.Why not just hook up to an outboard shop tach and take it out for a blast?That would be much more accurate in the first place.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Look for tiny tach on the net, very simple install<br /> only about $40.

Johnshan1

My lighting coil does not charge the battery. The battery is not hooked to the engine.<br /><br />I already have bought a teleflex tach.<br /><br />So how would I go about doing this besides buying a tiny tach, I would rather have a standard tach with dial on there.<br />-John

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Good luck.Without the charging system I don't think it can be done.

NathanY

Commander

Sorry john, it cant be done.