Boat Wont Start after putting in alternator.

hazpay1

Recruit
After starting my 1995 Mercury 5.0L this season, I noticed my volts were only reading 10 on my dashboard gauge. Slowly but surely the volts dropped below 10 and I thought it was time to change the alternator. After installing the new alternator, I now cant get the boat to start. It cranks over but it wont fire. I have spark and I checked most fuses. Please help. Thanks Bill. It seems as if the battery has enough power to start the boat. The funny part is just before I installed the alternator, the boat started fine.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat Wont Start after putting in alternator.

Did you charge the battery?
If it only shows 10 volts at rest it doesn't have nearly enough juice to start.

hazpay1

Recruit

Ok just found out that the old alternator was fine....Had it bench tested. I guess my next step is to check the battery...
:confused:

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

And just for future reference...
a $3 Harbor Freight Digital Volt Meter would have shown you if the alternator was bad or not.....13.6 volts plus or minus indicates a good output.

chiefalen

Captain

if it was showing 10volts when running something was wrong with the alternator,or wiring.maybe a wire broke.when at rest should show 12 .6 or something like that 10 volts is a dead battery maybe won't even hear clicking.all the plugs in at the coil.center plug in good?

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

if it was showing 10volts when running something was wrong with the alternator,or wiring.maybe a wire broke.when at rest should show 12 .6 or something like that 10 volts is a dead battery maybe won't even hear clicking.all the plugs in at the coil.center plug in good?

You are assuming that the voltage meter on the boat is reading correctly. I would check it with a handheld meter before I started tracing wires. If it is at 10v, trace the wires to the voltage regulator and make certain that everything is hooked up correctly there.

Dadicus

Cadet

Have the battery checked at the same place that checked the alternator. And I agree about getting a small meter to confirm the voltage for yourself.

You'll also want to check the main connections and cables. I had a battery cable once that got corrosion inside the rubber, where I couldn't see it. It worked, sort of, but caused a drop in voltage. Eventually the cable failed completely and I found the corrosion, but that was after several days of looking for more complex problems. Turned out to be something simple and cheap.

hazpay1

Recruit

Ok heres where I am at now. Load tested the battery...seems to be fine. A little weak but fine. Dropped to about 10 volts during load test. Standing alone it reads 13V. Alternator bench test came back ok. Seems like i have a short somewhere. Any help or ideas where I should start too look? Ignition seems to be working...Thanks to all that have posted. Bill.

Dadicus

Cadet

Try using a jumper cable to jump the main positive and main negative (ground) cables. You may also want to try a battery you KNOW is good.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't think it would cause it not to start, but dropping to 10 volts under load isn't all that great.

RJLeuwen

Seaman

Make sure the 2 small wires on the Alt. are properly connected purple to purple and red to red. Then look on the battery post on the starter is there a square block with an Ornge wire attached to it? If there is that square block is a 90 or 110 amp fuse and the ornge wire is the charge wire from the ALT.
and is most likely blown.

RJ