Need help with new (used) fuel bowls

Muddy Paws

Seaman Apprentice
Hey there!<br /><br />I just recieved a used set of metal fuel bowls to replace the warped, leaky plastic ones on my 90 Johnson (J90TLCCA). <br /><br />I had planned to switch my air bleeds over to the metal bowls, but the metal ones don't have any!!<br /><br />They don't even have threads to install mine. So, what do I do next? Can I drill and tap them to install the bleeds, or should I just try to get the right ones?<br /><br />Next question is... What are the right ones? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-John

Muddy Paws

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need help with new (used) fuel bowls

Just bumping this to the top. Man, it's been busy here!<br /><br />I'd really like to know what you guys think about these metal fuel bowls that have no high-speed or air bleed orifices. <br /><br />I don't know what carb or engine these came from, but it seems like these orifices would be required to calibrate the carb.<br /><br />Strange...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the high speed jets are at the very bottom. the intermediate jets are either directly above them or go into the bowl from the top of the bowl inline and perpendicular to the bore of the high speed jets. or you have a set of bowls that are not compatible with your carb bodies. and while they can be drilled and tapped you will need a flat bottom step drill to allow the jet a sealing surface to seat on. a picture of the bowls your using would be very helpful.

King P.V.

Seaman

Don't know if this applys but... i just sold a replacment bowl to a guy doing the same thing as you.. The minlon (plastic) bowl was cracked and the new bowl is aluminum. No sweat on the high speed jets but the orginal 1/4-20 intermediate jets were just not gunna go into the different location dictaded by the new bowl. Customer was just about to drill and tap (and destroy) the new bowl when I pionted out that the new bowl needed the 8/32 jets installd in place of the orginal 1/4-20 ones.. Very small items but with the same #26 size orifice for fuel flow, I suggest you check and recheck before you have to modify what may not need to be modified. BTW, his motor was a '91 90hp so your "problem" is not too far removed from this one!

Muddy Paws

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. <br /><br />Rodbolt - I'll try to post a picture tonight. The metal bowls look almost identical to the plastic bowls, and all of the screw holes and passages line up. The biggest difference is that there are no removable jets; just drilled passages with no threads.<br /><br />King P.V. - It sounds like the bowls you sold had replacable jets. The bowls I have do not. <br /><br />I am still puzzled how these bowls would work. They almost have to be matched with a carb that has the jets in the carb body.

troska

Cadet

It doesn't destroy the new bowls. I just did this to two bowls on my '93 88spl. None of the marine dealers in town had the 8/32 jets in stock, and didn't plan on placing their order for another week. I tapped the top of that passageway 1/4 x 20 and it has been running tip-top.<br /><br />If it didn't work, one would still have the threads for the 8/32 jets down at the bottom of the passageway. <br /><br />After all, a 26C orifice is a 26C orifice. It shouldn't matter what the outside is threaded.<br /><br />Muddy paws, are you certain that there are no threads at the bottom of the intermediate jet passage? They don't start until the bottom - take a close look.<br /><br />Tim<br /><br />
Originally posted by King P.V.:<br /> Don't know if this applys but... i just sold a replacment bowl to a guy doing the same thing as you.. The minlon (plastic) bowl was cracked and the new bowl is aluminum. No sweat on the high speed jets but the orginal 1/4-20 intermediate jets were just not gunna go into the different location dictaded by the new bowl. Customer was just about to drill and tap (and destroy) the new bowl when I pionted out that the new bowl needed the 8/32 jets installd in place of the orginal 1/4-20 ones.. Very small items but with the same #26 size orifice for fuel flow, I suggest you check and recheck before you have to modify what may not need to be modified. BTW, his motor was a '91 90hp so your "problem" is not too far removed from this one!

Muddy Paws

Seaman Apprentice

OK - it looks like there are high speed jets installed. They were a lot deeper and harder to see in the metal bowls.<br /><br />No intermediate jets, but it is possible that there are 8/32 threads way down in the hole. I can't see them, but I'll bet they're down there.<br /><br />Tim - Thanks for the help! How did you drill for the 1/4 x 20 jets? Rodbolt has a good point about the need for the jet to seal at the bottom.

troska

Cadet

Hmmm, I just read Rodbolts comment, and perhaps I did it incorrectly, but it is working. <br /><br />I used the appropriately sized drill bit and drilled out the top of the passage just deep enough that when tapped, the top of the jet would be flush, or just below, the flat of the bowl. This way, I knew if I screwed it up I could still drop the 8/32 jets down in the proper position. <br /><br />I guess I don't understand why you need a flat surface for the jet to seat on. Mine are screwed tight to the bottom of the threads, and I can't imagine there is much, if any, leakage around the threads. I think of the jet as a restriction in the size of the passage, and it is still doing that. If someone has some insight as to why this isn't correct, I would appreciate some "learnin".<br /><br />Tim<br /><br />
Originally posted by Muddy Paws:<br /> OK - it looks like there are high speed jets installed. They were a lot deeper and harder to see in the metal bowls.<br /><br />No intermediate jets, but it is possible that there are 8/32 threads way down in the hole. I can't see them, but I'll bet they're down there.<br /><br />Tim - Thanks for the help! How did you drill for the 1/4 x 20 jets? Rodbolt has a good point about the need for the jet to seal at the bottom.