1988 Mercury?

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok:<br />I am thinking about buying a 1988 (guy tells me it 75hp) , I thinks its a 70. Anyway, I have always had Johnsons and know nothing about these. Motor has not run in 5 years. I know it will need carbs rebuild. What else should I do? If anybody knows these motors, are they good?,reliable, what problems are common?<br /><br />Thanks in adance

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Mercury?

They made a 70HP 3cyl and a 75HP 4cyl in 1988<br />If you can get the serial number off the transom bracket, that will help clarify for sure.<br /><br />Before purchase it is always a good idea to check the compression in each cylinder. They should be equal to each other, and preferably less than 10 psi difference.<br /><br />Check the lower unit oil, for consistency and signs of metallic particles on the drain plug. Check for milky color, which would be a sign of leaky seals.<br /><br />Lower gearcase oil should be changed, and new water pump assembly (or at least the impeller). You need to see a steady water stream out the tell-tale to ensure adequate cooling. Don't run it dry, and don't rev it up on muffs.<br /><br />Hopefully the motor was winterized with some form of fogging oil prior to storage. Inspect the plugs, and replace them if questionable.<br /><br />Carb rebuild is a good idea. Quite likely it is varnished over time. Better safe than sorry.<br /><br />Check power tilt & trim function, if equipped.<br /><br />You may want to run oil mix in the gas tank until you can verify that the oil injection system is functioning properly. Mark a line on the oil storage reservoir, and make sure it is being consumed at the proper rate.<br /><br />Use only new gas, not the old gas that has been in storage for 5 years if the tank is included.<br /><br />I can't comment on specific reliability of the motor, but can say that my motor of that vintage which is a 40HP 4cyl runs great.<br /><br />If you don't end up purchasing that motor, shoot me an email with specifics. I'd love to have 70 ponies on the back of my boat!<br /><br />Best of luck.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will check it all out. It seems like its in good condition. I will let u know AMD.<br /><br />Thanks for all input.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK:<br />I checked out the motor, now the motor has not been run in 5 years. I did a comp test, but all I could get was 60 psi on all 3 cylinders. My question is , cause it has not turned in 5 years, could this be becuase it has not turned and there is not fuild in the cylinders. I 1stly turned it by hand to make sure it was loose. Also the tilt and trim was clicking at the motor but nothing was happening at the motor. Any suggestions?

KCLOST

Commander

Juice,<br /><br />Yea, it could be.... At least you have consistent readings....<br /><br />It would be best to test compression with the motor somewhat warm and ensuring that fuel mix has lubricated the cylinders...<br /><br />Hit the motor of the tilt trim with a screwdriver??? Not kidding...

DHPMARINE

Captain

juice71,<br /><br />I hope the price is nice,as they say.After doing the carbs and a waterpump,you will be able to do an accurate compresion test,and know more.IF that comes up okay,you can start work on the TNT system.<br />Not saying it won't work,just saying it won't be easy or cheap.<br /><br />DHP

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

As I recall, Merc made a 70, 80, and 90 in 1988 all of which were the newest 3cyl versions of that time! Mariner made the same motors but were 75 and 90 horse. They shared the same powerhead but were tuned for different power ratings. These motors were very relaible. If this one checks out it should be ok!

bursawkp

Recruit

I bought my 1988 80 hp new. Had a lot of trouble with the lift/tilt which Merc replaced under warranty. Motor always had a ticking sound, finaly stopped running about 10 years ago. Just took it out of storage and shipped it off for rebuild about $1,195.00. Local shops wanted in excess of $3500 to $4,000. When I purchased the motor the Dealer told me that the 70, 80 and 90 hp of that year were the same except for the carburetion??? Any one know that for sure?? I'm thinking of trying for the extra 10 hp if it does not cost too much

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the only diff was the reeds and carb jets other than that I'm not sure?