Overheated my engine-86 force 125

nabularach

Banned
I had my boat out in the bay and I drifted into a shallow area. When I noticed it I raised the motor and used it to push myself out into the channel.When I started getting up on plain the motor shut off.When I looked back there was smoke coming from the motor ( overheated and the warning buzzer didnt go off). I smelled a burning rubber type smell but when I pulled the lower unit to check the water pump it was blocked with sand but in good shape. I checked the compression (All 4 cylinders at about 110 psi)
I still have not gotten the lines cleared out, I cant get the screws for the thermostat cover loose so I am going to try heat and an impact driver. Does anyone know what the burning smell could have been??? Also I tried (With the lower unit off) Flushing the water tube with a pressure washer and I still couldnt get water to come through even after I ran the motor. Could there be anything else obstructing the water passage or maybe somthing that could have melted blocking the water passages?

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Overheated my engine-86 force 125

Had the same thing happen with my 89 125 Force. Took the thermostat out and it was plugged up with silt off the bottom, back flushed with the garden hose through the thermostat housing with the lower unit off and cleared it up!

nabularach

Banned

I hope mine goes that easy. I thought a pressure washer would have done it but I guess I will have to work on those screws on the thermostat housing.

maxum247

Lieutenant

I hope mine goes that easy. I thought a pressure washer would have done it but I guess I will have to work on those screws on the thermostat housing.

Thermostat will be in the way of anything large and block it from getting flushed out.

nabularach

Banned

Just got off the phone with the owner of the marina where I keep my boat. He seems to think that I shouldnt use an impact driver on the stuck screws because I will break them off. My thoughts are if they break I would have had to drill them anyway. What are the thoughts on this. They are 4 flatheads that hold the thermostat housing on. They are also painted over.

nabularach

Banned

Does anyone know what thread the thermostat housing screws are so I can get new ones before I go down and bring a tap.

Thanks

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to use an impact also, I didnt give the thing any hard smacks, just tap on it and you should be OK. I dont think you will need heat.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

2 of them are 1/4 - 20 X 1-1/4

and the other 2 are 1/4 - 20 X 3/4

Can't hurt to use a utility knife and cut the seam of the paint on the screws.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Just got off the phone with the owner of the marina where I keep my boat. He seems to think that I shouldnt use an impact driver on the stuck screws because I will break them off. My thoughts are if they break I would have had to drill them anyway. What are the thoughts on this. They are 4 flatheads that hold the thermostat housing on. They are also painted over.

I used a big flat head screwdriver with a square shank that I could get an adjustable wrench on. Worked the screws back and forth a little at a time until I got them out! Did this with the boat in the water standing on the swim platform, man that was fun!:(

Oh, by the way!
When I put the thermostat back in I replaced the flathead screws with stainless bolts that a six point socket will work on, so next time it will be easier to remove them!:)

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you over-heated the block its a pretty good shot their going to snap off with any force, regardless you can always drill them out and use an easy out to get the shank. i'd check your head gaskets while your at it, just to be sure.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Did you use anti-seize on the screws? the two long ones go into the water passage on the head and tend to corrode in quite nicely without any compound on them.

Usually when engines are overheated to the point that they stop running, damage has been done ie. scored pistons or cylinders. However, at 110 psi, it's a little low but not indicitive of major damage. After you get everything cleared out and assembled, start it and use it. It may surprise you.

The burned smell is usually the paint on the head and exhaust cover. However, if a plug wire was touching a head bolt it could have been melted so check all the plug wires. Also check any wires that may go under the flywheel and rest on the block.

Also, it is possible to burn the rubber bellows on the idle relief. This bellows has a plastic grommet inside the end that enters the rear shroud and it could have melted. Remove the rear shroud and check the bellows, spring, and grommet assembly.

nabularach

Banned

I did find one melted wire but it was only a small portion so I will keep looking.Thanks for all the help I will try to get the bolts free this weekend.