If you have high charge voltage, please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasB81

Cadet
Re: If you have high charge voltage, please read

I don't know why it happens but if you switch the two stator wires around on the regulator, the tachometer will start working properly. Since this is AC voltage it really shouldn't matter but I have found that switching the stator leads does make a difference.

Regards,

John

Hi. Thx:D

I?ll try that. I have thought about it but I didn?t "like you" think i would make any difference.

Here is a picture of my mount, hope my cooling is sufficient.

DSC07350.jpg

RRitt

Captain

How can I burn my rectifier with a short circuit, if it is like you say?

A rectifier is the most basic form of digital electronics. It is either ON or OFF. It has no in between. If it is ON then the voltage is 0.7V regardless of how much current you dump through it. If it is OFF then it does not conduct electricity. It is the reed valve of electronics that forces electrons to flow in one direction only. The lowest reverse breakdown voltage made is 350V. You can't buy anything less in a rectifier no matter how much you spend or who makes it. It is the nature of silicone.

Since outboard stators are not capable of 350V then there are only three ways to damage a boat rectifier -
1 - hit it with something like a hammer
2 - improper mounting that causes it to overheat
3 - short circuit from high current source such as 12V auto battery across a forward diode/rectifier junction.

You have eliminated #1 and #2. I come from the school of mechanics that says problems left unsolved usually return. An open or corroded connection would not harm a rectifier if you ran your boat for 1000 years. Just not possible. It would take something like a polarity reverse that shorted battery positive to ground through the rectifier and/or stator. If you did not find, identify, or correct the root cause then your charging problems will probably be back. Eventually it could possibly take out your stator.

The mount should ideally be a large slab of metal such as starter bracket or intake manifold. If the heat has nothing to escape into then the silicone will burn itself out. If that is where you mounted your rectifier then I suspect your problem was inadequate heatsinking. I don't see anything that would have absorbed heat. At speed a regulator is going to put out about as much heat as a 75W light bulb and a rectifier about 12W.

The unit in picture has integrated heat sink. As long as you keep a good flow of air across the aluminum fins it should be okay within rated amps. The hotter it runs the more likely it is to break.

ThomasB81

Cadet

What exactly happened the last time i burnt my rectifier, was as following.

I had just mounted my new rectifier, went out to sea and my charging voltage looked fine "13.5v". After an hour or so I noticed my voltage has raised to about 17v, i sailed back to shore and checked my rectifier, it had blown a little hole in the gum in the middle and smelled burnt. I know it didn?t blow when i reconnected my battery after install, it happened at sea.

So it can?t be a pole reverse or a short. A short would have melted wires or blown my battery "no fuse installed", and I don?t see how a pole reverse could happen by itself without any other consequences.

Sorry, its not to sound like a smartass, but I just don?t see how it is possible if it is not because of a bad battery connection, or something else unthought of.

The bracket om the picture is not where my rectifier was installed. It is homemade for my regulator only.:)

john from md

Commander

Thomas,

Due to the low output of the Force stator, heat won't be an issue.

Regards,

John

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does any one have dimension measurement for the snowmobile regulator mentioned on this thread? My Force 40 has very limited space to mount the regulator.

Thanks

john from md

Commander

The regulator is approximately 2 inches x 2 inches not counting the mounting ears, and about 1 inch thick. The mounting ears stick out about 1/2 on the sides of the regulator.

You should be able to fit it on the exhaust box cover. This will also aid in cooling as the box only gets hot if the water pump fails.

If that happens, you'll have more to worry about than the regulator. :eek:

John

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info!!

Now only if I can find someone that actually have one in stock. :)

B

cambosoup99

Seaman

just wanted to post my thought on this, switched from rectifier to rectifier regulator and haven't had any problems with the set up.. works great.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

John...I found an old rectifier in my shed. I did some research and it's 35A 600v. Looks just like the one I broke on my 85hp force although it's not a 20A. Will this 35A rectifier also work like the 25A from radioshack? I think the stator only has an output of 7 amps on my outboard. Also does anyone know how to test these using an ohmmeter? Or do I need to hook it up,start the engine and get a voltage reading off the + side?

john from md

Commander

It is a bridge rectifier so google that and add schematic and you should get some hits. A basic check can be done with an ohm meter. Unless it has evidence of burning or is cracked, it probably is good to go.

A 35 amp rectifier will work fine. Don't worry about the output from the alternator vs the rating on the rectifier. The max amperage the rectifier was designed to handle is 35 amps.

John

ddickson3

Recruit

Sir. The voltage regulator on my 08' 115 hp 4 stroke yamaha is pushing 15+. The local yamaha mech. replaced the voltage reg. however, the gauge and the mech. laptop continue to show 15+. Any thoughts?
Thank you

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

john from md

Commander

This thread was set up for Force engines which use a bridge rectifier instead of a voltage regulator. I suggest that you ask your question in the Yamaha forum as I don't do Yammy engines.

John

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did an hour or so of research on rectifiers and made a HUGE discovery. CDI part number 152-9209 (rectifier) is BR351 which IS 35A(copied the picture and enlarged it). An identical rectifier can be purchased online at www.mouser.com for $3.05 Manufacturer Part number is GBPC3501. Mouser part number is 821-GBPC3501.

See for yourself..... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Taiwan-Semiconductor/GBPC3501/?qs=xguzDneKu5DMmRhOXHOM1g==

Well, well, well... another person finally sees the light!! :D Soon, how will all the marine dealer make their living once the secret is out!!

Yes, you are correct. rectifier is rectifier. They are nothing more then four silicone diodes connected back to back in pair. Doesn't it make you sick when CDI wants $130+ for their regulator/rectifier unit??

I personally thing the fair retail (not discounted) price for a 15A regulator/rectifier should be no more then $30. The one mentioned in this thread for snowmobile is around $31 when the supply is plentiful.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just want to update this thread. I did find the Rectifier/Regulator unit mentioned in this thread. They are made by WPS (Western Power Sport). I did have to pay $55 for mine as they are in short supply, and not even WPS has them in stock in their warehouse. The unit I got was purchased from a scooter shop.

After a quick test at the lake, everything works fine. The only problem I noticed is the AC wires coming off the stator gets very hot. Not hot enough to melt the insulation but too hot to hold your finger for more then 2 seconds. Added some solder to the connector seems to reduce the temperature by a bit. However, I am still disappointed that Force decided to use 18awg wires to for the stator output. It's a bit thin in my opinion.

B

john from md

Commander

The alternators used by Chrysler and Force only generated 8 amps of power and thus were able to use a 25 amp bridge rectifier. The standard snow mobile (with elec start) regulator can handle that without a problem. Can it be you are experiencing high resistance at the lug crimp?

John

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

The alternators used by Chrysler and Force only generated 8 amps of power and thus were able to use a 25 amp bridge rectifier. The standard snow mobile (with elec start) regulator can handle that without a problem. Can it be you are experiencing high resistance at the lug crimp?

John

Carefully tighten up the female end of the lug crimp did not make any difference. Also, my manual says the stator on Force 40 does generate 15A. In any case, it appears to ran fine after two days buzzing around the lake. :)

Now, only if I can get the tach to work.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.