Re: Please Help Overheat problem

so tomorrow i am going to do this..if i am missing something please tell me

remove all hoses clean all out, clean whatever they were attached to
remove thermostat housing clean all out
remove water pump inspect and clean it
remove risers inspect and clean them out
water jackets i will find and clean out
hopefully this gets me going!
i see some people put risers in acid to clean them,should i do that with the risers ,water pump and thermostat housing? if so what is the proper procedure for that? can i get it at west marine?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Some do the acid cleaning bit, but most experts will tell you that if it is bad enough to get clogged up, then the manifolds and risers need to be replaced, not cleaned. If you use the acid clean, then the chances are good that whatever metal you have left is now very thin - and when they let loose you can loose an engine to hydrolock.

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

ok ill just clean them well without it...thanks for the tip!!!i just replaced the manifolds and have ran it maybe 3 hours since..so im sure if anythign is screwed its the risers

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The word "ayuh" -- though it may seem at first to have a positive connotation --
may in fact be used both positively and negatively. It has extremely subtle
undertones which, if you’re not native, you can never hope to master. Only a
native New Englander can discern exactly how the speaker intends it by the
subtleties of intonation. Something which confuses people from away some
wicked.

Makes perfect sense to me!:p

And from http://www.laughmaine.com/Confused_Are_You.html
AYUH! - Simply means yes! Not to be confused with "Yarrr". Sometimes it is a generational thing. The younger generation finds it a bit cooler to say "Yarrr" instead of "Ayuh".

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

OK TODAY I DID THIS
took risers off they were clean
took thermostat housing off and cleaned pic below
took water pump off was not dirty but does have a crack in the bottom? it must not be all the way through because it doesnt leak in the bilge its usually pretty dry there
took all hoses off there was nothing clogged anywhere
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/SOUTHBEACHSALES/Picture012.jpg

any ideas on my next steps???

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

OK TODAY I DID THIS
took risers off they were clean
took thermostat housing off and cleaned pic below
took water pump off was not dirty but does have a crack in the bottom? it must not be all the way through because it doesnt leak in the bilge its usually pretty dry there
took all hoses off there was nothing clogged anywhereany ideas on my next steps???
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/SOUTHBEACHSALES/Picture003.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/SOUTHBEACHSALES/Picture004.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/SOUTHBEACHSALES/Picture005.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/SOUTHBEACHSALES/Picture007.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u116/SOUTHBEACHSALES/Picture011.jpg

EDIT: Turned pictures into links. Pictures are WAY to big.

Last edited by a moderator:

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

What on earth posessed you to take the back off the circulation pump?

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

because it was cracked and I wanted to inspect it. Why should I not of? The bolt on the top to look in was rusted shut

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

anymore ideas guys? gonna put it back together tomorrow but dont seem like i got anywhere with it today...lol...

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

im off to the store to get a new circulator pump...any more ideas i can try?

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Although if he's trying to be nautical he could mean "Ahoy" which is a common nautical term and he's just spelling it incorrectly in his posts!!

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

the alarm goes off when the temp gets almost to 220...the engine seems to be very hot during that time.the thing is if i drop the throttle to neutral and wait 15 seconds the temp drops back down to 140 or so

.is the sending unit the thing on the thermostat housing that the wires plug into each side?do i remove it from there ,plug it in and drop it in the water? or how do i do it?
thanks

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

I could be wrong...sometimes it seems hotter then normal...ive never seen steam or anything even if that was possible. im going to check the sending gauge in a few hours once im done with work.ive never actually heard the engine pinging or rattling while its heating up..just the gauge starts loud beep

so is the sending gauge the thing scrwed into the side of the thermostat housing?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

so is the sending gauge the thing scrwed into the side of the thermostat housing?

Since you have both a gauge AND a warning "beep" - that means you have both a sender for your gauge and a temp switch for the "beeper." The "thing" screwed into the side of the thrmostat housing is one or the other.

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

Since you have both a gauge AND a warning "beep" - that means you have both a sender for your gauge and a temp switch for the "beeper." The "thing" screwed into the side of the thrmostat housing is one or the other.
i have 2 of them one on each side......
so update today i put everything back together with the new water circulator pump and it still overheats....it stays around 140 until i get on plane and then it shoots up to overheat....
i didnt get a chance to check the sending units yet ill do that tomorrow...other then that my really only choice is to pull it out of the water and pull the drive and do the impeller now right?make sure there is nothign clogging the lines back there????? thanks for everyones help

Coors

Captain

I thought you replaced the impeller (new water pump kit)
Pull the hose from the transom, at the front of the engine,Hold it above the level of the transom. Does it shoot water several inches? Only do this for 15 seconds.
If not, impeller time.

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

I thought you replaced the impeller (new water pump kit)
Pull the hose from the transom, at the front of the engine,Hold it above the level of the transom. Does it shoot water several inches? Only do this for 15 seconds.
If not, impeller time.
i had a mechanic do it..he may of lied and not changed it...im wondering if i was lied to..
.yes i tried that earlier it has water coming out at idle and if i hit gas it sprays in air...seems water is gettting up there not sure how much pressure it should have

the boat never overheats until i get on plane around 3000-3300 rpms...i can idle all day or run it below that and its good...as soon as i let off gas the temp drops immediatly

Coors

Captain

There is a restriction somewhere.

jayh

Seaman Apprentice

i replaced circulatoer pump today
i cleaned all hoses and removed..
i cleaned thermostat housing reinstalled
i removed risers
manifolds are brand new with just a couple hours on them

the boats in the water so now i guess i need to pull it out and start in the drive?