My First Boat And My Post

redeyery

Cadet
hELLO

i HAVE LEARNED ABOUT THE DRAWBACKS OF OLD BOATS. i HAVE 1972 mERC STERN DRIVE WITH A STRAIGHT 4 CYLINDER.

pROBLEM 1 1ST DAY OUT, MOTOR TRIMS IN, TRIM OUT ONCE, AND HAS NEVER TRIMED OUT AGAIN. hAD TO HOTWIRE ACUATOR. TO GET MOTOR OUT. aRE ALL TRIM SWITCHES THE SAME ? mINE HAS RED AND GREEN BOTTONS AND IS RIBBITED TO DASH. aNY SUGGESTIONS?

PROBLEM 2oN THE SAME DAY ON LAKE, I WAS THROTTLING BACKWARDS, AND FOR SOME REASON, I JAMMED THE THROTTLE FOWARD. i BELIEVE I MAY HAVE DAMAGED THE CONTROLER(MERCONTROL) i OPENED IT UP, AND PARTS OF PLASTIC BUSHINGS STARTED FALLING OUT, AND I CAN NO LONGER GET THE GEARS TO STAY IN PLACE. dO THEY MAKE REBUILDS KITS? aRE CONTOLLERS UNIVERSAL?

iM GETTING HARRASSED BY MY FRIENDS AND I BET THEM JULY 4TH I WILL BE ON THE WATER.

pLEASE HELP

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My First Boat And My Post

Are you serious?
In the event you are...take your boat to a dealership.

erikgreen

Captain

hELLO

i HAVE LEARNED ABOUT THE DRAWBACKS OF OLD BOATS. i HAVE 1972 mERC STERN DRIVE WITH A STRAIGHT 4 CYLINDER.

pROBLEM 1 1ST DAY OUT, MOTOR TRIMS IN, TRIM OUT ONCE, AND HAS NEVER TRIMED OUT AGAIN. hAD TO HOTWIRE ACUATOR. TO GET MOTOR OUT. aRE ALL TRIM SWITCHES THE SAME ? mINE HAS RED AND GREEN BOTTONS AND IS RIBBITED TO DASH. aNY SUGGESTIONS?

PROBLEM 2oN THE SAME DAY ON LAKE, I WAS THROTTLING BACKWARDS, AND FOR SOME REASON, I JAMMED THE THROTTLE FOWARD. i BELIEVE I MAY HAVE DAMAGED THE CONTROLER(MERCONTROL) i OPENED IT UP, AND PARTS OF PLASTIC BUSHINGS STARTED FALLING OUT, AND I CAN NO LONGER GET THE GEARS TO STAY IN PLACE. dO THEY MAKE REBUILDS KITS? aRE CONTOLLERS UNIVERSAL?

iM GETTING HARRASSED BY MY FRIENDS AND I BET THEM JULY 4TH I WILL BE ON THE WATER.

pLEASE HELP

First, welcome to iboats :)

Second, One hopes you've taken a good boating safety course, as that is the number one thing most new boaters need.

Third, please do try to type here without using so many capital letters... it's considered to be shouting :)

Fourth, most of the parts in your boat aren't universal. That said, it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement set of controls for your boat. I don't know if you'll have much luck finding replacment parts if it's the original set of controls.

For the trim, know that most mercruiser powered boats have a "trim in" button and a "trailer" button.. trim in will raise the drive up to a certain point, and no further. Trailer will raise it the rest of the way. You're meant to use the trailer button only when you're putting the boat on the trailer.... the trim button will only go so far up as a safety measure for your drive. How far up it goes is limited by a sensor attached to your lower unit... if the sensor is broken, trim might not work right.

What do you mean exactly when you say: "I WAS THROTTLING BACKWARDS, AND FOR SOME REASON, I JAMMED THE THROTTLE FOWARD."

So you were backing up and you flipped the throttle forward, through neutral and into forward gear? That's kinda hard on your drive, controls, and boat...

Post some more information about the model of your boat, pics of what you're talking about, and people here will come out of the woodwork a bit to help out :)

Erik

redeyery

Cadet

Thank you for the positive and informative advice.

The initial symptoms was when the boat would go in reverse when in gear but when it was in forward it would spin as if in neutral so if I wanted to drive everywhere backwards I would be fine. I also noticed that there was no resistance shifting forward as though it was not changing gears. Upon dismantling controller some little plastic bushing peices fell out and the linkage seemed to no longer want to be mated in and would not shift into forward and it appears to be an internal problem in the controller as I checked all the cables and they appear fine.

So first I would need to know how to identify the controller and if there are rebuild kits or schematics available. We did bypass the switch to the actuator and it did trim out so we located the problem to the wiring at the actuator and the button. I was perhaps hoping to install a controller with trim functions included internally and was thinking this would be ideal since I was having trim out problems. Motor is a Straight 4 stern drive

Trim out issues are. Can trim motor in no problem, couldn't trim out, had to bypass switch to actuator to get out of the water, so i have maybe isolated it to the switch. I have included pictures for your viewing pleasure.

There are two more possible concerns after I solve these problems.

thanks for any help that you can offer....

Attachments

• DSC01628.JPG
    DSC01628.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01621.JPG
    DSC01621.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01630.JPG
    DSC01630.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What engine drive model numbers do you have. You have outboard controls, so who knows what you have there.

redeyery

Cadet

,more pics

Don, the only number i can find on the drive, on a foil sticker 2y28589

Still looking deeper, where should i look?

Attachments

• DSC01631.JPG
    DSC01631.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01632.JPG
    DSC01632.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 0

redeyery

Cadet

ok, prop question #4874888a4 21p a373

Can anyone ref. this number and tell me what i have?

Last edited:

erikgreen

Captain

That looks like an older than pre alpha mercruiser drive... and actually it looks in nice shape, too :)

More experienced minds than I would have to identify it more closely, but if those were outboard controls as Don says, I think you'll want to replace them with something that more closely resembles Mercruiser controls. Probably that would solve the problems with shifting and the trim switch too, since you can get controls with a trim switch built in as a thumb rocker now.

Edit: The hook camoflaged the lifting eye. It's a mercruiser MC-1, I believe... pre alpha series, but the same size as the Alpha I gen I gimbal wise. Still needs new controls though.

Erik

erikgreen

Captain

ok, prop question #4874888a4 21p a373

Can anyone ref. this number and tell me what i have?

Don's right about posting this in the prop forum, but I'm gonna guess and say that you have a 21 pitch prop there :) Seems high for that engine size?

If it's the drive type I think it is, then you'll be able to find props for it pretty easily.

Erik

redeyery

Cadet

foil sticker under hook says mercruiser and stern drive, that is all

erikgreen

Captain

Right, but I was just saying I didn't notice the lifting eye in the pics because the hook was sort of hiding it from me. The lifting eye is a dead giveaway of that vintage of drive. I actually have two of them myself.

If you really want to know exactly what you have, locate the serial number of the drive, which is on a sticker on the side and also stamped into the metal under the sticker and usually elsewhere, and we can look it up.

redeyery

Cadet

Erik

Second foil sticker found with a number of 2y28589. Does this sound right?

redeyery

Cadet

Im getting motivated on my repairs, thanks everyone for your helpful advice, this should be the MOST ROOKIE question. I want to start the boat out of water, the original owner showed me how, by sticking a garden hose with (sock) attachement into the rear end of the boat, i would assume to allow water to pass thru water pump, cooling purposes.

Can anyone walk me thru the steps, or give me a general location of where the water should flow in, and any info on the (sock) would be great. Motor ran like a champ last summer.

Also any info on tune up, or basic service that should be considered annually.

Thanks

erikgreen

Captain

Erik

Second foil sticker found with a number of 2y28589. Does this sound right?

That doesn't match any of the serial number references I have. You're probably looking for a 6 digit number starting with a 6... try looking under the stickers on top of the lower unit... it should be stamped into the metal, maybe under paint.

But you have what's called a "pre-alpha" drive unit, an MC-1 most likely. They're solid drives, just not quite as strong as the later Alpha I gen 2, or Bravo series. Max HP for that drive is 300, your four banger is probably only about 160-ish max. (more experienced folks than me could tell for sure).

It's possible to get parts, consumables, and even a replacement drive for a reasonable amount of money for that vintage of lower unit, so that's good.

But the motor may be an adventure... if it's what I think it is...

Erik

redeyery

Cadet

Im back, got my prop and i am ready to begin work.

Can anyone take a shot to how much a tune up would be on a boat like this. Oil, belts, plugs, pump, lube. Just a service, nothing to fix. Under 500?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Y has to be a 7 is all I can think of could
120 hp 64-72
140 hp 68-82
Which would fit given the location of his trim cylinder hoses.

Edit:
Narrowed it down to 1967-1969 outdrive model 1

Last edited:

redeyery

Cadet

hey jcf 350,

the motor says mercruiser on the valve cover and 120hp on the side of the head. Last owner says its a chrysler motor. V4. Its nice to see a motor you can actually get your hands into, unlike today modern motors. So I am hoping you know all th ins and outs of this motor, Im all ears........

Thannks

Attachments

• Copy of our boat.jpg
    Copy of our boat.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0