QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lets Get the GAS Prices DOWN

Thanks. Good to know . . .

1976 Slickcraft

Seaman Apprentice

SgtMaj,
With all respect, it's a real good thing your not gonna be President.
Jesse

Monday gas was 327 tuesday 330 and today a jump of 20 cents since last night,regular =350.wuts sup with this? Was there a major oil refinery fire or terror attack I didnt hear about or was it the plan to take away tax breaks and penalize the ones making WINDFALL LIKE THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN BEFORE PROFITS ? SOMETHING SMELLS

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

If I knew anything about math, I would mention the 50 years for the world's population to triple, yet only 6 years for the price of oil to triple. In this case, I won't mention it.

6 years to triple relative to what? Percent of disposable income? No-false. Percent of median income? No-false. What then? Anyone can sling unqualified statements...

Maybe we should get upset about the price of water. After all , 16oz now costs $1.50 and 6 years ago you could get 1000 gallons for the same price...that's an 8,333% increase!! :rolleyes:

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

6 years to triple relative to what? Percent of disposable income? No-false. Percent of median income? No-false. What then? Anyone can sling unqualified statements...

Maybe we should get upset about the price of water. After all , 16oz now costs $1.50 and 6 years ago you could get 1000 gallons for the same price...that's an 8,333% increase!! :rolleyes:

You need to "qualify" your statement there buddy. Sounds like your comparing a 16oz bottle of water to a 1000 gallons of city water. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

PEOPLE STILL TALKING and KEEP Defending the GAS PRICES. WHY!!!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

You need to "qualify" your statement there buddy. Sounds like your comparing a 16oz bottle of water to a 1000 gallons of city water. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Ayuh...exactly my point...

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

PEOPLE STILL TALKING and KEEP Defending the GAS PRICES. WHY!!!

I'm not defending the gas prices, I don't like them anymore than you do. I'm defending the theory of pricing in a capitalist system. It just happens to include gas. Do you want the government controlling the prices of whatever industry you're in? I don't...

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

The country would be broke . . .

And I must be missing something, but if we "arbitrarily" pump 4,000,000 barrels a day into the strategic reserve, where does it go? And if you stop pumping it in where does the source that burns it get that 4,000,000 barrels? Or do we just pump it in endlessly and forget we have it? Oh, oh, and what do you think that word strategic means?

Check Strategic Petroleum Reserve for answers to some of your questions. SgtMjr, however, does have some of the statistics wrong. But we all know that 94% of all quoted statistics are made up on the spot.

mscher

Lieutenant

As someone in the fuel business, I find these figures to be lacking in reality. They are indeed listed on at DOE web site, but even the DOE has a dislcaimer that these figures may not reflect "economics dynamics" for a refinery.

"http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/summary2007.html"

Crude oil can be "traded" several times (and several companies) between oil well and gas tank. Provided it is the quality oil companies need, they really don't care where it comes from, they simply want the "price". They will run their tankers across the street to a competitor in a heart beat, to save a penny a gallon.

Here in the mid-west, BP trades with Marathon, Marathon trades with Citgo, Citgo trades with Valero. Pilot buys from Marathon. Love's buys from BP.

It does makes some people feel a little better to blame the "evil arabs" and OPEC, for the high fuel prices, but alas, it is not 1974. Oil comes from nearly everywhere and the world markets are making it quite expensive.

I received this from a friend. In tune with where to buy gas and some stats, more stats.. eek

e-mail:
I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil. These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell.......................... 205,742,000 barrels, Chevron/Texaco.........144,332,000 barrels . Exxon/Mobil..............130,082,000 barrels, Marathon/Speedway..117,740,000 barrels, Amoco 62,231,000 barrels

Citgo Gas. comes from South America.

Here are some large companies that DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil: Sunoco................ 0 barrels, Conoco................ 0 barrels, Sinclair................ 0 barrels, BP/Phillips.......... 0 barrels, Hess................... 0 barrels, ARC0. .................. 0 barrels. Also: Pilot, Flying J, Love's, RaceTrac, Valero(Shamrock).

All of this information is available from the Department of Energyand each is required to state where they get their oil and how muchthey are importing.

aspeck

Staff member

Thanks for the link mscher. I don't like the high price of gas either, but I do like the free market system. Sometimes it "works for you" and sometimes it "works against you." But in the end, it is the best system available, and the way to mess it up is to allow the government to come in and regulate it. There are all sorts of forces that go into the price of fuel, and as long as we keep buying, it will be sold (unless the gov. would say that is not allowed).

This afternoon I put $92 worth of gas into my SUV. I hated that, but I sure love the comfort of my SUV. However, we are using the wife's car much more than before because of the fuel mileage. When a pulled into the gas pumps there was a lady whining on the other side. Apparently it is what we people like to do. On the other hand, the market was up 228 points today ... I made much more on the market today than I spent on gas ...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is too much political mythology here. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.