hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

I started at the beginning several weeks ago. I was sure you would be in the water well before I finished. Either that or I would get tired of reading the 2 zillion posts. But I percevered as you have. The boat looks great!! And jcserca is right. The best pic is the one with the wake behind you. Can't wait to see the final stages of your build.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dreams really do come true!
Congratulations on a reel fine outcome.
Now, print out the thread and get it published. With the royalties extend her another 5 feet:)

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Three cheers for OOPS..hip hip horay..hip hip horay..hip hip horay:D
Way to go Oops.....love the windshield...the whole boat..everything...
Don't forget to give your woman some attention too....they can get jealous:rolleyes:
You are the shining star for the rest of us boat lovers to follow;)

scrawnyronny

Seaman Apprentice

OUTSTANDING. This has been a long time coming and I'm happy to see (via Iboats) it happening. I can only imagine how you feel. Congrats.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That windshield MAKES the side profile of the boat. Awesome job!

Do you have any more pictures of the heater? This has me very interested as it will allow us to ski much later/earlier in the year.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Oops.. as for your issue with the thermostat: (I'd posted this earlier, but I think it got overlooked)

How often are you going to use the heaters? Just when it's cold out? If you aren't going to be using them all that much, can you just put some sort of a shutoff valve (seacock type valve) on the heater hose where it comes out of the engine and where it goes back in? So, if you aren't using the heater, you can shut off all water circulation in the heater hoses.. then, your temp gauge should read correctly except when you are using the heater...

At least then you'd know the correct temperature most of the time.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks kid !
i saw it and thought it was a good suggestion.
but after i used the heaters on the first run....i think it will be on allmost all the time except during the afternoons.....lol.
im also going to add heated seats to it. so that will take some of the stress off that system.
the one thing about the motor.....it was running cold all during the test. no major heat build up at all.....bear in mind the water is cold right now and not the mid 70's that it will be in the summer on the other lake.

ill post a pic of the temp setup this evening....just so you all can have a look.

im heading to the shop to try and solve the nasty viberation problem.
it might be as simple as a bad prop hub.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

WTF!!!!! did you take the day off or something??? you post before 3am (eastern time) !!!!!!

lol
:D:D

jspano

Not to sure we can do much about the final weight except not to allow any fat chicks aboard.

hmmm! i might have to look at the weight of my finished restore and adopt this rule

oops!

Supreme Mariner

That is really great! Sorry to hear about so many problems, especially the weight issue (and I see you still have not added the seats and other materials like wells, wings and such that you spoke of in earlier posts. That will add an extra 400 lbs or so making the boat heavier and less fuel efficient and handle poorer). With all that extra space, and you fill it up with people, how low do you think it will sit in the water? What impact will it have on handling? What is the new center of gravity?

After reading this thread, its an admirable project, but I think the lesson to be learned is this:

If you want a bigger boat, just go buy one and be done with it.

lol.
the boat weighs more than i wanted.......but it is underweight for a 25 footer with the same or smaller power.

as far as adding the rest of the interior and coolers, gear, and such.....it will still be under weight for some 25 footers. dont forget .....even wake board boats are filled with water..some even add weights to the tower..loaded with people. and are heavyer than this boat will be when finished and loaded with football players and babes.
the extra weight will not adversly affect the handeling of the hull unless i seriously load one side of the boat.

FYI.......
after every new hull is produced from the manufacturers...it is tested for exactally what i am testing the hull for now.......vibrations, handeling, weight, weight dispersement.
imho....the hull passed with flying colors.
the mechanical problems are to be expected with a major job as this one.
and are just part of the process.

as far as the comment about buying a bigger boat....yes by all means do.
however building a boat is not for everyone. the people in this forum do there own repairs. from stringer transom jobs to full repowers.
we dont do it to make money or because we are forced to.....we do it because we want to. it is a concious decision to re-fit a boat. if we wanted a new boat we could just go buy one. (as i said on the first post of this thread)

i think the lessons we all learned on this thread are invaluable to any one that wants to fix or even buff thier boat.

i invite all comments to this thread....good and bad......that is how we debate and learn.....

by the way .....how did you get your self banned from iboats?....

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

WTF!!!!! did you take the day off or something??? you post before 3am (eastern time) !!!!!!

lol
:D:D

lol........the entire posts were completed at 4 eastern last night :D
and yes....i took a half day off to catch up with pm's and investigate the i/o forum.....tee hee :D

BF

Lieutenant

As one of the many lurkers who have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy following your adventure.. congratulations! Might I humbly suggest that an update of your avatar picture might be in order? I think a daylight, under-power photo would be more appropriate!

I love the lines of your "new" boat. Looks like something that a young Sean Connery should be driving around the mediterranean..

bear_69cuda

Commander

Beautiful boat oops!

Great lines. she looks so sleek dude.

congratulations!

I can't wait for the interior....

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

^^^^^ AGREE with bear ^^^^^

BobsGlasstream

Commander

oops!,
Congrats on the water trials. You have truly come a long ways.
The windows are very impressive, Great workmanship.
Once again congratulations on a great job.
Bob

ajarvis

Cadet

Congrats!!! I've followed the progress and am happy for you and everyone involved. Everyones posts have been a huge help to me and I'm sure so many others. Great job!! The longer wings really fill out the the boat. Good luck working out the details, and lets see the final theme!!:cool:...... all in good time I'm sure

Mike Robinson

AWESOME OOPS!

I bet you're looking forward to this summer!

Congratulations on sticking with the task at hand. You must be grinning from ear to ear!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thankyou for all the kind words and encouragement guys......i really appreceate it. ill say it again......without this forum this project never would have been attempted or completed.

i have pics of the heater hose "t" and the heater i will be posting soon.

right now im fighting with the bilge liner....at the end of the sea tryal for the big boat the b-liner started to crap out.......i thought it was just water in the dist cap......but its deeper than that......so im switching to electronic ign in it....

the idea is.....(once the b-liner is running) to swap the prop over to the b-liner.....try that and see if the vibration is transfered to the b-liner......if if is...i have a bad prop.!

if the prop is good.....ill swap the whole drive to the b-liner......then test that for vibration.

if thats good.......i really dont know what to do. ill be calling on bondo and the guys for help.

but im certain some where between the prop and the drive ill find the vibration problem in the big boat....so then i can move to the next step.

cheers
oops

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

let's hope its just the prop and nothing more. Good Luck oops

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOOOOHOOOOO

Great job Ward

You have inspired many of us and your project look amazing !!

Status
Not open for further replies.