How do I buy investment stocks?

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't know much about the stock market, and have never bought stock before, but I got curious about it and want to give it a shot.

I've got a small amount of money to play with in the market.

I'm not really interested (yet) in the stock picking process, I really want the basics - who do I go to to buy stock?

So far, my requirements are:

- Must be online broker
- No "subscription" or monthly fee
- Low cost per trade

I don't anticipate being a high volume trader (put my money in a few stocks and let it sit) but if something interesting pops up, I want to be able to purchase it right away... or sell.

I have accounts at a couple of banks and they seem to offer this service but I don't know if there is a benefit with going with a bank of an actual online broker.

Thanks for your advice!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How do I buy investment stocks?

there are thousands out there. google stockbroker, then research what each offers, and their charges.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks, TD. That's what I've been doing, and I agree - there are THOUSANDS...and it's a little overwhelming.

I was hoping to get some personal recommendations, advice, experiences, and find out what's important in a broker to others.

That's what makes this place so great! :)

aspeck

Staff member

I use a full service broker for my personal stuff, but for my investment club we use TDAmeritrade. The service has been pretty good and the tools are decent. Could be a little more user friendly, but it is not bad - it was better before they improved it! HA!

It would fit your bill, but then most of them would. Can be linked to your bank account for easy transfer of funds between the two accounts.

End of year statements are not as good as the full service brokers, but they are good and easy to use and read.

PW2

Commander

Thanks, TD. That's what I've been doing, and I agree - there are THOUSANDS...and it's a little overwhelming.

I was hoping to get some personal recommendations, advice, experiences, and find out what's important in a broker to others.

That's what makes this place so great! :)

My advice would be to buy mutual funds, as opposed to stocks. They tend to be less risky than individual stocks. Most any online broker offers them. Research is a must, and I'm sure a Google search would be a reasonable place to start.

mscher

Lieutenant

I don't know much about the stock market, and have never bought stock before, but I got curious about it and want to give it a shot.

I've got a small amount of money to play with in the market.

I'm not really interested (yet) in the stock picking process, I really want the basics - who do I go to to buy stock?

As PW2 stated - MUTUAL FUNDS!

Do your research on mutual funds, how they work, costs, performance comparisons, types, etc, as there are plenty of them out there.

I believe your investment money will work better for you, just starting out, with MFs that buying and selling individual stocks.

For instance, if you want to get a piece of the action with Exxon, but don't want/cant pay the $85 per share, look for an "energy fund" that holds Exxon stock and others. "energy funds" are probably doing pretty good these days.

Happy hunting.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Buy low sell high. my #1 rule do research before buying.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

There are allot of good options out there to invest in. Just don't let anybody talk you into investing in Tyson Foods :(, although it is so low that it might be worth somebodies risk to invest in it. Went from a hair over $20 to lest then $13 a share :(.

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just remember the golden rule...... don't invest more than you're willing to lose.....

I've played in stocks and mutual funds for about 10 years now and it's not for the faint of heart, Just keep an eye on whatever you invest in and be willing to expect the "peaks and valley" along with it.

wncrjb

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

As the others have said, mutual funds would be your best bet given your desire not to try to become a stock picker which, btw, is a smart decision. I would talk to a few brokers and have them lay out what they can do for you and what their fee structure is. Also ask them how they would invest the amount of money that you have and why they would do it that way.

Once you settle on one, expect them to have you take a short "quiz." Basically what they are going to do is to determine your investment profile in terms of time frame and risk position. For example, you might be a long term, moderate risk investor or you might be a long term high risk investor or you might be .....

I invest in two basic ways - some of my investments are with a money manager who trades through a major brokerage firm. He tends to pick investments himself and mixes them up to gain the basic advantage found in mutual funds, which is divirsification. I also have an account with another major brokerage firm and my investment advisor there picks money managers rather than picking the investments himself. My guy places my money with funds that have proven to be above average over the years.

My next comment is purely opinion and you should seek your own advice on the matter. I am firmly convinced that we are in a recession as of now and that the cause of it is energy prices. Yes, the sub-prime lending market woes have been all over the news and are certainly a big factor, but I don't believe that situation is the root cause. Energy prices affect essentially everything that we do and the affect the price of everything that we buy. People are financially stressed because the major expense items for the average family tend to include gasoline, home energy, groceries, etc. and all of those things have gone up dramatically over the last five years. At the same time, wages and salaries have not increased at the same rate. All of this means that non-essential spending is way down and that isn't going to change any time soon, because the energy prices that drive everything else are going to continue to be a problem. Whatever your approach to investment, in my view this basic economic reality needs to factor into the investment strategy heavily.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Heard something interresting on the news this morn. regarding the state of the economy... we are officially now in a recession because the economy lost jobs...

Where did it lose jobs? Only in the manufacturing and home building sectors, and if you were to factor out the subprime mess and the time of year (seasonal layoffs)... we wouldn't be in a recession at all.

Kinda interresting I thought...

Not saying high fuel prices aren't playing a part (it sure is easier to make those house payments if you're not spending an extra $50/week filling up the tank).

Anyway, I think the economy will snap back out of it either way by the summer.

As far as stocks vs. mutual funds go, most mutual funds underperform the market, so choose wisely, but if you do, you can make a mint. I had my 401k in a fund that was producing 23-27% over the last 3 years... Meanwhile most of my co-workers were losing 3% on average because they picked different funds.

januarysails

Seaman Apprentice

I am in the investment world. If you do not know about stocks equity indexed annuitiesor investments go to a full service investment firm. DO NOT go to the seminars that offer FREE LUNCH. Most I have seen are pushing equity indexed annuities. VERY BAD......

I do agree with the others, mutual funds offer diversification with a smaller investment. Mutual fund managers buy and sell stocks, bonds and carry cash in very large pool. The term no load refers to the way you buy into that pool. The managers must get paid, so all mutual funds have an expense ratio (annual fee). You will never see a charge on your statement. The fee comes out of your return. There are three basic ways to purchase MF. 1) A class, "front load" 2) B class "back load" 3) C class "no load". The expense ratio differs from share class. One real example of ex ratio: A-.57%, B-1.34%, C-1.54%. All class eventually revert to A class. In my practice 99% of my clients use A class. For the long haul 6yrs or more you money exceeds the other classes. The others pay the broker 2 to 3 times the "salary". To see this in action, get a propectus from any fund then go to SEC.gov. Look for the "mutual fund cost calculator", enter the information and see for yourself.

Whew. Long one. The last thing you need to do ask questions. LOTS of questions! You will feel better and your advisor will feel better. Please be careful of the advisor who wants to charge you a "small annual fee" maybe even .5% "so he can do his best". You are paying the advisor by the funds you own.

Good luck.

As far as investment goes buying a real product such as an old muscle car can prove to be the best return . As far as investing in the "us doller" maybe buying gold or euros would be best. Dont forget the government money printing machines are running full speed and with the soon coming election of new people who think its their right because they win to spend even more money the us doller is a poor investment.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

You've gotten excellent advice to invest through mutual funds. I've never really had the time nor interest to become a stock-picker. I figure by the time I could research something and buy a certain stock, the experts would have beaten me to it and I'd lose any advantage. So I let the experts manage my money for me (i.e. mutual funds). Yeah, it costs me a little, but in the long run it pays off, I think.

Start really basic. If you aren't familiar with it, there are excellent primers at "www.morningstar.com" or "www.forbes.com" or any of the big fund families (vanguard, fidelity, T Rowe Price) that can help you. Read through a couple. Then I'd suggest reading through a general money-oriented magazine like Money, Kiplinger's, or a couple others. Consumer Reports also evaluates mutual funds at least once a year; I'd consider that a must-read, also. They have different slants, so spend an afternoon at the library and read a month or two of each.

With that background, you're almost ready to do some research. Another poster indicated that most funds do not do as well as 'the market.' There are reasons for that, the least of which is they have to cover their own expenses. Generally, certain fund managers have a better track record than others at picking stocks. Other funds say to forget stock picking and track a broad index. Both have their place. Everyone agrees that the worst thing to do is merely buy last year's star performer, because stellar performers rarely repeat.

Experts write that research shows that funds that are'no-load' (ie do not charge a sales commission) almost always do better than 'load' funds. They also tell you to diversify into different types of funds (stocks, bonds, styles, sectors, etc). Experts also have been saying that low fees are important.

All that said, how do you pick a fund? Here's what I do. Forbes rates each fund based on performance in both up and down markets, giving letter grades A - F, just like school. As far as I know, Forbes is the only one to rate this way -- the others just evaluate performance over a given time frame. Anyway, I go to "http://www.forbes.com/finance/screener/Screener.jhtml" and select only funds with greater than B up / greater than C down (ie to get ratings of A/B), having zero sales loads and an expense ration below 1.5%. I copy those off to a spreadsheet. Then I do the same thing to get B/A -rated funds. For myself, I eliminate funds that are closed to new investors, or focus on specific sectors (i.e. energy, health care, real estate, etc) because I want them to diversify for me. I put the two lists together, and ended up with a short list of about 30 funds to choose from. Then any fund fund I invest in must be also recommended by at least one other source (Money, Consumer Reports, or Kiplinger's). I can be relatively confident that any of them would be ok, although some might be a bit better than others, and some meet my own philosophy better that others. If your amount to invest is really tight, you might go even further with a target-retirement fund where the managers do all the diversification and balancing for you. One even met my screening criteria, as I recall.

HTH

why not just buy stock in a solid company and forget messin with a "financial planner" whos going to get his even if you dont "get yours"?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Research dividend stocks. The best long term way to buy is based on the idea that "investments" protect capital and pay a reasonable return on the money that you have already earned.

Historically, dividend stocks that have a price/earnings ratio (P/E) of 14 or less and pay consistent dividends over many years that are roughly equivalent to other types of investment with comparable risk are good places to start.

Generally, utility stocks, excluding communication stocks, fall within the group.

Take a look at some east coast utilities like Dominion (D), Consolidated Edison (ED), FPL Group (FPL), NStar (NST), Energy East (EAS). They are good examples of investments where over time, dividend yield has been good, safety good, and growth good.

I like to spread risk by buying relatively small quantities in 100 share blocks each of a large number of dividend stocks, buying to hold, and sticking to the rule of 14 or less P/E and 4% or greater dividend yield.

It takes a good amount of time and research to get reasonably good at this, but the rewards are fine. Eventually, you find that you are living on the dividends while others are still working. In the meantime your investment grows with the valuation so that your wealth base is expanding.

Click the thumbnail for a list stocks at current prices, that are close enough to bear watching. Just remember that the higher the yield, the greater the risk.

Attachments

• Book1 (3).jpg
    Book1 (3).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0

check outbob brinkers "MONEY TALK" radio program found on many am stations during the week ends.He gives solid proven advice.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

why not just buy stock in a solid company and forget messin with a "financial planner" whos going to get his even if you dont "get yours"?

Because if you pick your money manager well, he/she is likely to be better at picking investments than you are.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Why invest in stocks. If you want to throw your money away buy another boat. :D jk

I don't know anything about investing but, I sometimes listen to public radios market report and the guy on there says mutual funds are the way to go. Personally I own farm land, Certificates of deposits, some US government bonds, and I have some money invested in a locally owned wind farm.

That last one has yet to pay out but, it probley will in the next couple of years after they get the bugs worked out and the turbines spinning full time.