Decarbing for those who need info

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Decarbing for those who need info

Good info Rick, this explains things very well, with one exception. It doesn't explain why not to use the schraeder valve on the primer on the carbed motors, I know the ficht's valve is only for fuel pressure testing, but isn't the valve on the carbed motors made for fogging and deacrbing? I have been using the schraeder valve on the primer for fogging and decarbing for years and never had a problem. Is it just that the decarb works better through the carbs themselves or is it actually bad to run decarb through the valve? The reason I have always done it this way is because they make engine tuner with the valve fitting on it, so I just assumed that you could use the valve, maybe I won't this season. Just wanted to know the reason why. Thanks alot, Mike.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I have always felt that it's better to shoot it right into the carbs. But that's just me. Then I know it's going where it's supposed to. Maybe the valve is just as good. but I feel safer my way..

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

O.K., I kind of figured it was a personal preference kind of thing. I just got a little nervous when the article said, " Do Not Attempt in any case to inject tuner/cleaner through the shraeder valve", I though it may hurt something, but I gues not. I have actually used the tuner a couple of times spraying directly through the carbs and it actually seems more effective, I guess I'll start fogging and decarbing directly through the carbs. Thanks alot, Mike.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I would think that if using the Shreader valve was injurious to the valve or engine, then Bomby would discontinue putting the Shreader vlv connection on the fog and tuner can. I use the vlv myself. But like Rick.....that's just me. :D

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Evinrude mechanic told me the valve by-passes the carbs and just goes to the cylinders. So your cleaning the carbon from the pistons/ cylinders and not cleaning the carbs when using the valve. <br />I guess the purpose of decarbing is to clean the pistons/cylinders, correct?<br />Just trying to learn.....

angus63

Captain

decarb fluid is a very hungry little solvent that loves to munch on plastic and rubber. Schrader valve eliminates possible overspray worries.

angus63

Captain

Fogging is a different reason. Only the last carb (cyl) you spray into before shutting down really retains enough oil to be effective. The others are burning off the oil while you're squirting the last one. The valve allows even distribution and all of the cyl's are still "wet" with oil when you shut down and pray for an early spring.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The person who wrote the decarb article did not believe that the Schraeder valve in carbureted motors delivered enough Engine Tuner to the cylinders. It is injected right behind the carbs thru the small hoses and brass nipples. An easy way to make things work better is to use one can thru the valve, and at the same time spray in each cylinder with a different can. It works better with 2 people. That way you can really soak the cylinders while the motor is running.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

OK. I was wrong to suggest spraying in the cylinders, unless you don't have the schraeder valve to decarb. Sorry for the misinformation...