pic of work so far

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: pic of work so far

its hard to see....how did the lamb work out....

the light playes optical illiusion on my puter

and did the sno go?

jcsercsa

Captain

Ok how do i get it to go to the big pic ??? the next pic is the slip joint , glued transom joint.jpg Ok I went to home depot and got the new stringer , the pvc boards for the two outer stringers and had to get a 2x12 that is pt pvc boards.jpg, now just make sure i get them cut right this time !!!! and I have to plane down the 2x12. and then get to dryig it !!! john OOOOOHHH yea and OOOPs if you need some one to take the maiden voige with you I am your man !!!!

fishnohio

Cadet

looking good John
i have a question for you?....wow big surprise lol...... are you going to use the 5/4 composite or pvc deck board's for your stringers? and if so will the fiberglass adhere to them properly because i was thinking of using the same thing for my stringers?.....thanks Jonh.....Mike

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lamb= lamination

and on photo bucket.....resize to 640x 420 ish .....message board size....

but its lookin good........:D

big thumbs up to ya

oops!

Supreme Mariner

oh ya ......and remember the old rule of thumb....measure 83.7 times and cut once..! :D

jcsercsa

Captain

looking good John
i have a question for you?....wow big surprise lol...... are you going to use the 5/4 composite or pvc deck board's for your stringers? and if so will the fiberglass adhere to them properly because i was thinking of using the same thing for my stringers?.....thanks Jonh.....Mike

Hay Mike you found meeeeee !!! lol yea I am going to use pvc deck boards, I read some where on here of someone else useing them and I never heard anything bad about them , the only thing i dont really like is the 2x12 pt, that I have to plane down to about a inch, they didnt have anything thiner and in that with that is also pt, I am not useing pt in the transom cause I have had the 2x12 for ten plus years sitting in my shed , and if i rember right i got them from my dad then , and it is kind of fitting to use them , seeing me and him bought a boat when i was a kid and it was some of the best times i rember of him !!!!!! So there going to suck up the polyureathene
Heres a question will the epoxy adhere to the polyureathene,on the transom, or should I just use the epoxy on it, ????? I know I said epoxy all the way with it , but I have this poly , I use on the floor, there is about a half a gallon left, so what do you guys think will it work ? will it stick ?? John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

epoxy will stick to poly....but not the other way round

redfury

Commander

This looks like an early 70's Glastron V156's, am I correct?

The only thing that I see that throws up a flag for me from all the( limited ) reading I've done on boat construction and use of wood is those 2x12's...I'd be more worried about the individual boards warping in that glue up based on what I can see in the grain of them. Are you laminating another layer of wood going cross grain also? I'm not sure if I completely understood what you were saying about the furniture grade plywood.

The reason I bring this up is that Plywood in inherently more stable than any regular strip or plank of wood due to cross grain layering. The problem with plywood is when the glue lets go ( delamination ).

You've made great progress with the boat so far though, I wish I had the gumption to get on mine this winter, but alas...no garage. It sits under a makeshift tarp that could technically work as a workspace, but it isn't safe enough for my liking.

What did you use exactly to grind up that glass with? I need to buy something, and I was thinking of an angle grinder with a vacuum attachment so I can reduce the dust problem ( and itching ). Is that was seems to work best?

If you've got a lot of photos you'd like to organize into a tutorial or just to show off, you might want to look at a free site like Flickr or Google or even the site I'm using in my link ( if it still exists :D )

oops!

Supreme Mariner

What did you use exactly to grind up that glass with? I need to buy something, and I was thinking of an angle grinder with a vacuum attachment so I can reduce the dust problem ( and itching ). Is that was seems to work best?

hey red fury.....yup share a project is still there.....

as for grinding.........tee hee....yer gonna love it.....:D
4 or 5 inch angle grinder...cheep one...the dust will kill it in a few days...after it does...take it back and get a new one.....
forget the bag to keep the dust down....just keep a running shop vac close by.......
ok ill save ya......also wear long sleeved underwear and winter long johns...do not wash your clothes in your wifes washer...take them to the laundry matt....

john will fill ya in on why....:D:D:D

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...I am going to use pvc deck boards...

What's the weight of that stuff? Also, any idea of it's expansion/contraction properties with temp changes? Just curious as I'm thinking about some things. Looking around the internet right now for this info.

redfury

Commander

4 or 5 inch angle grinder...cheep one...the dust will kill it in a few days...after it does...take it back and get a new one.....
forget the bag to keep the dust down....just keep a running shop vac close by.......
ok ill save ya......also wear long sleeved underwear and winter long johns...do not wash your clothes in your wifes washer...take them to the laundry matt....

Heh, well, you know us guys new to this stuff, always looking to find a way out of the mess... I'm actually going to buy a few Tyvek suits when I do my grinding so I can just toss them out, along with some cheap gloves and a good mask. I coughed up a few oz. of lung after I cut the tops of my stringers off. For some reason it dawned on me that all these particles flying around me in the glare of my shop light meant something....:D

jcsercsa

Captain

Ooohhhhh man the itching,cold shower!!! lol sweat shirt with hoodie ,works well also, I used my angle grinder with a 6 inch mason cutting disk , and man did it eat that glass, I cut the stringers and ground the glass off in about 4 hour , just becarefully !!!!!!!!!!!!!! still have some more to do but the worst is done !!!! thank God !!!! John

jcsercsa

Captain

What's the weight of that stuff? Also, any idea of it's expansion/contraction properties with temp changes? Just curious as I'm thinking about some things. Looking around the internet right now for this info.

hay Greg , from what i understand is it acts pertty much like wood, except the rot. if you find anything let me know thanks John ps its pertty heavy stuff

redfury

Commander

I'll go for that combo. If I could get away with it, I'd use one of our edgers from work, but they are too clumsy for this kind of work...a little 16 grit sandpaper would make quick work of it too, but I think I'll pass on attempting that. I'm going to go nuts once spring hits, that way I'm not out there bursting into flames :p

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hay Greg , from what i understand is it acts pertty much like wood, except the rot. if you find anything let me know thanks John ps its pertty heavy stuff

Do a Google search on PVC deckboard and the first link is Vekadeck. The stuff seems to have great all around qualities. I've searched many places around the web and have yet to find weight or expansion properties.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I coughed up a few oz. of lung after I cut the tops of my stringers off. For some reason it dawned on me that all these particles flying around me in the glare of my shop light meant something

AAARRRRRRUUUUUGGGGGGG!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

fiber glass dust in the lungs...does not ever break down...ever.....

you NEED a good resporator.....i use a dual cartridge full face mask...it has a rubber nose mouth cover. dust cannot get in.....thoes little doctor type masks wont work.......
i also use thoes cheep goggle style eye protection.....

pic7006.jpg

ill take better picks of them tonight and post them on my thread....

and the tyeveck suits are a must but your street clothes will still get dust in them.

ok...i gotta go do some more grinding...i kicked over the resin bucket..:eek:
its all gotta come out.....then the big layup...ill post more tonight

cheers guys....
avagoodone john:)
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

ohhh yea i didnt put that in there , I have a dual mask also !!!! and thats a really good look for you ooops , your wife sould be used to you looking like that !!!! hahahahahahahaha and be careful its a lot less work !!!!! and my hooded sweatshirt is going in the trash when i am done !!!! john

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don't use the plastic (composite) deck boards, they're heavy and week, plus many aren't made from PVC and some have wood mixed in. Use the PVC boards (used for trim), they're much lighter and easier to work with, don't expect any strength from them though, just use them as a non rotting shape to glass around. Typical polyester (there are PVC and ABS bonding versions) resin won't bond that well to PVC, so don't rely on it to, but since you only need it for the shape it won't matter that much.