First effort making candy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I never made candy before but I have a superabundance of pecans this year, so I started through my cookbooks. Everything calls for candy thermometers and refers to "soft ball stage", whatever the heck that is. I have no candy thermometer and I don't speak "ball stage", soft or hard.

But

My #2 daughter Emailed me a recipe for microwave peanut brittle that is quick and doesn't call for either of those. I substituted 2 cups of pecan halves for the 1-1/2 cup of peanuts. Oh, wow!:eek: This stuff is gooder'n bugs.

1-1/2 cups dry roasted peanuts (or 2 cups pecan halves or pieces)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
pinch of salt
1 TBS butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda

Grease a cookie sheet and set aside.

In a micro proof bowl, mix the nuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt.
Nuke for 6-7 minutes. (I did 6 min. in my 1KW MW). It will be VERY hot and bubbly.
Stir in butter and vanilla.
Nuke another 2-3 min. (2 min for 1KW)

Quickly stir in the baking soda until the mix is uniformly foamy.

Pour onto the cookie sheet. Spread as needed.

While it cools (about 15-25 min) get out a hammer and chisel to clean spoons and bowl. Dang, that stuff gets hard and sticks!:redface: After it is cool break it up and put it in an airtight container. I have a lot of fancy jars that once held candles. . . .perfect. :)

Anyone got other pecan recipes that don't call for an experienced candy maker? What would you say to adding a pinch or so of cinnamon?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Re: First effort making candy

The only one I know JB. No thermometer or ball stage to contend with.:D
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Pecan Supremes[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1 cup salted butter, softened[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 large eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 tsp. pure vanilla extract[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1 cup (4 oz.) chopped pecans[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1 cup (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2 cups all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1 tsp. baking soda[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/4 tsp. salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]3/4 cup quick oats[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]3/4 cup white sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]In a medium bowl combine flour, soda, salt and oats. Mix well with wire whisk and set aside. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]In a large bowl blend sugars with a electric mixer at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add eggs and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until fully combined. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Add the flour mixture, pecans and chocolate chips, and blend at low speed just until combined. Do not over mix. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto un-greased cookie sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart, Bake for 18-20 minutes. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Immediately transfer cookies with a spatula to a cool, flat surface.[/FONT]
Enjoy.
And no Dan, I ain't fixing any.;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Since when don't mods like breakin balls? :confused: ;)

rogerwa

Commander

What do men talk about on a boating forum when the women aren't looking?? Recipes.. Who' da thunk it.. :)

You know you could give that pecan brittle away for Christmas gifts. You wil be admired for your well roundedness. If in the market, its not a bad way to attract female attention.

Last year I was going to a Christmas party and my wife was going to join me later. She called and asked me to take care of bringing the appetizer. Well I surfed the internet for quick recipes while watching football and found a quick spinach dip using fresh spinach.

Well, I made it and brought it to the party and I kind of took liberty in adjusting the ingrdients and had the full expectation that people would give you that look when you tried it. Well, all my wifes friends loved it and couldn't get over the fact that I had done it all myself.

They still request my spinach dip and my wife could be no prouder.

tashasdaddy

this reminds me of when if was a kid. Granny had pecan trees, and a nutcracker similar to this one. it was mounted on a board across and old divided box. whole nuts on oneside, the other for the cracked nuts. we spent days cracking and shelling nuts, then getting them into the freezer.

now we pay a fortune for them preshelled.

Attachments

• digimarc.ms.jpg
    digimarc.ms.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 0

i386

Captain

^^^

I have very similar memories, but it looked like this one...

duke_nutsheller.jpg

Those pecans can really tear your fingers up!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

JB, I make several batches of these sugar/cinnamon frosted pecans every year. Everyone, including me, loves them. Prep time is about 10 min.

INGREDIENTS
1 egg white
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon water
1 pound(2 cups) pecan halves/pieces
1 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Grease one baking sheet(or not).

2. In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg white, vanilla, and water until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, salt, and cinnamon.

3. Add pecans to egg whites, stir to coat the nuts evenly. Remove the nuts, and toss them in the sugar mixture until coated. Spread the nuts out on the prepared baking sheet.

4. Bake at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.

oddjob

Commander

My mommy make the best. She sends me and the kids homemade candy every christmas. Chocolate fudge this year and peanut brittle last year. it gets better every year. Thats her gift to us.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My wife makes these "turtle" things that are quick, easy, and kids love 'em .... heck.... I love 'em!

spread out pretzels on a baking sheet and put 1 Rolo candy on top of each pretzel. Warm the whole thing in the oven and when the Rolos get soft, take them out of the oven and press a pecan half down on top squishing the whole thing together.

Doesn't get much better than that.

MikDee

Banned

Unless you Hate pecans, who'd wanna go ruin a good Rolo, or pretzel? Actually I like most nuts, especially cashews, (but not pecans, walnuts, or chestnuts), but roasted or not, just salt them, and keep them out of any candy, don't combine them with anything else, I'll eat, and enjoy each item seperately, yuch! when they're mixed with anything else.

Another item I don't like is pumpkin anything! except to carve them for halloween, to me it all taste's the same as allspice,,,, spice cake, or gingerbread, not anything I care for.

Doesn't anyone like coconut custard, lemon meringue, or cheescake, any more? must it be exploding with spice flavor? it's getting harder to find these standards in the stores around the holidays anymore.

JB

Ohhhhh. Cheesecake!

I lived for a couple of years in Arlington, VA about 2 blocks from a little bakery that had a store window full of trophys for making the world's best cheesecake. They called it that. . .The World's Best Cheesecake.

For that cheesecake I would kill, but it makes all other cheesecake I have tried seem like putty. If I could make that stuff I would weigh 350lb. (vs. 160).

tashasdaddy

i love pecan pie, with about 3 times the nuts, the recipes calls for.

also cream cheese with chopped pecans, mixed in, rolled into balls, in a large dish place balls, then cover with strawberry jello.

MikDee

Banned

My Fav from the The cheesecake factory is caramel, although my 2nd best is strawberry.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay...now STOP..... This is a family site and all this stuff is making me fat just reading about it!!!!!!! Getting fat is not good for the heart and I already had my fill of cardiac episodes this year.......

I did not even mention the drooling!!!!!!!! :p

Now on a healthy note.... chicken coated in pecans and pepper sure cooks up healthy.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow, all these recipes would sound great.

JB, a candy thermometer is easy to find in most grocery stores near the baking supplies. They show what temperature it takes to get to the different textures. It sounds complicated, but basically the different stages are just different temps.

I have to say Pecan brittle, sounds awesome. It sounds like your microwave recipe makes it really easy to make small batches.

Have a happy holiday.​

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Scoop,
Your bluegill avatar is making me hungry for some fish and chips.. :)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My wife made a Derby Pie yesterday. It's got pecans and bourbon so I just don't know how you can go wrong.

I am not joking when I say this thing will change your life for the better. This is, by far, the best thing I have ever ate, and I like eatin'.

If you make this and don't like it, send it to me (I'll pay the postage), and I'll dispose of it for you, no charge.

DERBY PIE

2 sticks margarine (or butter)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
Kentucky bourbon (about 1/3 cup? ?little less/little more- it?s up to you)
1 cup flour
12 oz chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans
2 frozen pie shells

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together margarine and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla & bourbon ? mix by hand. Stir in flour, then chocolate chips and pecans. Pour half of batter into each pie shell. Bake for 45-55 min. (check middle of pies for doneness with a knife-should be a little gooey). Can be served once cooled, or when warm (great with vanilla ice cream).

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Not really candy related. My mother makes a combo cake/pie like desert. It's called a death by chocolate cake.

You take a baked chocolate cake, brake it up into a bowl for the bottom layer, then add cool whip for the next layer, then chopped up heath candy bars for the next layer then chocolate pudding for the next layer, then again with the chocolate cake and repeat the other layers in a deep bowl. I believe I got that layering correct. Really good stuff, must be kept in the fridge.

Then there is a cream cheese desert that she make using crescent rolls for the bottom layer/crust, then Philadelphia cream cheese and then another layer of crescent rolls, topped off with glazed icing. Also very good, there is a little baking trick to that one that I don't know about.

D

DJ

Hey JB,

I've been watching my mail. I have not seen one jar of pecan brittle. ;-)

You know, you could sell that stuff. I'll bet there is a store, near the Hideout, that would take it on.