Evinrude tilt/trim sticking

fishguru

Recruit
My Evinrude 115 hp. Model # E115FPXSSR Serial # G04735917 tilt/trim seems to be sticking. It doesn't work from either the trottle switch or switch on the engine but if I tap the trim motor with a rubber mallet it starts working. Any suggestions on what the problem is?<br />Thanks in advance!<br />Todd

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude tilt/trim sticking

Poor electrical connections, relays, the pump motor, or trim unit complete, itself.

fishguru

Recruit

I already replaced the resitors. Is there a way to pinpoint exactly where the bad connection is or if it is in the trim motor itself?<br />Thanks for your help so far!

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Take the voltage reading at the terminal(s) directly on the motor itself. <br /><br />If full voltage is present when actvated, yet no motor action till motor is tapped, suspect motor.<br /><br />If less than full battery voltage is present it still could be a shorting motor internally bringing the voltage down although it could be blowing any fuses. (bad motor, or dragging mechanicals within unit)<br /><br />Also if less than full battery voltage is present while activated trace backwards towards battery till full volatges are seen and suspect the last part that created the voltage drop.<br /><br />Although, first check motor housing ground to battery negative post (when energised)for any grounding differential that could also influance the issue.

sloper450

Cadet

Had exact same problem (Cept I used a broom handle). I talked with local electric motor shop that rebuilds them. Was told the brush's are getting stuck. Eventually I would have to replace motor or have it rebuilt. Still tapping with broom handle.

fishguru

Recruit

Thanks for all your replies so far. I checked voltage and there doesn't seem to be a drop anywhere. Now here's the weird thing, after I tap it a few times and get it going and cycle it a few times it works great. If I let it sit an hour or so it stops working until I tap it again and cycle again. <br />Any ideas?<br />Thanks again for all the help!<br />Todd