WOT question...

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: WOT question...

i would go 21.
if you got 5000 rpm outta a 19. i would say you are a little underpropped.
if manufactures specs call for 42-4500
5000 seems to me to be a bit exessive. my wallet would be telling me to go 21 and even try a 23.
hold at 4500 WOT and your engine will want to stay in the boat a bit longer.
if you go with a wider prop it will help your hole shot.
go to a prop shop and if the guy knows his business he will have the perfect suggestion as to the type of prop and shape.

texanaustinite

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finally tried a 21-P prop. Same conditions as before - just me and a full tank of gas. WOT results... 47mph @ 4800RPM. Acceleration was not bad - about the same as the 19-P.

I was able to borrow it from a local prop shop while they're fixing my 19 due an to unfortunate run in with an unmarked sand bar. Is it worth going for a 21, or stick wit the 19? Should I bother trying a 23?

QC

Supreme Mariner

As long as you were not super duper light during your test (low fuel, alone, no ice chest, no stuff) then you would probably be OK with a 21. If you were heavy or typical, then absolutely you should at least try a 21. Might be worth 2 MPH which in this game is a lot. Kewl :)

Hmmmmm . . . a gain of 2 MPH . . . :)

I would not try the 23 as your ambient air temp was lower than you'll see in mid-summer and that'll hurt performance some. Also, you alone is lighter than you run normally right? If so, I think with the family, tubing, ice chest etc. that you'll be just right. Good job and thanks for the follow-up!!

texanaustinite

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks QC. I think I'll stick with the 19... for more rea$on$ than you stated.:D