Father and son/daughter project.

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Father and son/daughter project.

All ready have 3 picked out, The Fiddlers Green and The Sailors Prayer and Amazing Grace. Then I want to buried at sea in USN tradition in the pacific. Everybody keeps telling my girlfriend to buy some life insurence on me. I tell her they won't sell you none, I've already had one heart attack.....ANIMAL :D P.S. Thanks WW2.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

....Then I want to buried at sea in USN tradition in the pacific. .....

You drive one of those little death traps with an oversized motor on it and your remains will never make it to the Pacific. You might as well drape a flag over the hydroplane when you take off. They tell me that if the water is deep enough, you won't gas up and float to the surface.:eek:;):D

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

can you LEGALLY use these on a lake? How do you (if at all) get them a registration number?

Might seem like a dumb question, but I am very curious....

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

They look like a lot of fun. May be a good winter project for the Kenmyfamily !!!!

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as I know there are no size limits on what you call a boat as long as you can ride in it or on it. Every state has a way to get registration for home made boats. I would start with your local fish and game office or the tag office. As far as I know if its radio controled you don't have to tag it but if you drive it you do. And welcome aboard there kenmyfam and newbie4life if you plan to build one. Be sure to join the site with all the info on the seafleas {muskokaseaflea.ca}. If we get enough of us doing this they will take notice. There are even people out there that want to start races for these little pocket rockets. I think I'm going to build one at half scale {2 foot wide x 4 foot long and use 2 32cc McCulloch weed eater motors in it because thats what I have to power it with}. That should make the game rangers happy on a no wake,10 hp lake....ANIMAL :D

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok Tinlizzy,WW2 and all the rest of you guys that were interested in this, give us some feed back and let us know how you are doing on your fleas....ANIMAL :D

waterinthefuel

Commander

Animal, I'm certainly interested and I went and looked at the website extensively last night. My questions are how much does it cost, how long does it take to build, what materials are needed and where could they be found.

Other than that, very cool!

I downloaded all the plans for each boat and organized them into folders if anyone would be interested I could send one or all of them, just let me know your email address.

My dad has some old Popular Mechanics books from the 60's and hull designs very very similar to those on that website are in there. Those designs are basically from the early 60's. Still very cool!

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

I need to finish up reassembling a car, assemble a 440 for another car and do some body work on a truck bed so I have the space in the workshop to build my flea. I'll probably start on the flea by the end of the year.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Which one are you looking at? I've printed out the plans for the Minimost, which includes a full scale drawing of one of the braces inside. It looks like the simplest design.

MikDee

Banned

I remember reading about these boats in Popular Mechanics in the 60's, and being fascinated by their ingenious simplistic design. The "MiniMax" is a hydro but there's hardly anything to it? Personally I was real interested in the Glen L design "TNT".

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

The basic design is susposed to take about 3 sheets of 1/4 inch ply-wood. My design will take maybe 5 or 6 sheets But I plan to do a lot of braceing that their plans don't call for. As far as how long to build it, I don't know. Some people can put one together in less than a day. And others take a year. I've been working on mine for about 2 months now and haven't touched a saw yet. I'm still in the planning stage right now but I'm about ready to start. It depends on how good you are with wood and how much money you have. As far as cost? It depends on what you want to do with it. They were designed for about 10 hp and I plan to start with a 35 hp motor and go up from there so I'm putting more wood in mine. If you guys join the forum over there it will answer a lot of your questions. I go by ANIMAL there also. We talk about the Glen-L designs and pickle forks and all kinds of stuff. One guy has a 3 point hydro with over 100 hp on the back and its only 10 feet long. Come on over and join the fun. I'm there when I'm not here. The only thing that looks like a seaflea on mine is the bottom. The rest I redesigned from the transom to the bow. It looks more like a race boat than the flea does. I've got pictures Posted on the forum but you have to join to access the forum.....ANIMAL :D

waterinthefuel

Commander

But not just ANY plywood animal, they said to use fir or spruce. Where in the same hell do I get either of those? LOL