Bayliner ourdrive help please .........

Bui73168

Cadet
my out drive it really hot when it running , just where the upper gear . Does it suppose to hot like that . i did change new oil already but it still the same.
i'm new at this and i don't what to do
Anyone can give me some help please
the ourdrive it ......270---OR----275
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bayliner ourdrive help please .........

we need more info on the drive package, Merc, volvo penta or omc. the brand "Bayliner" has nothing to do with your outdrive. and welcome to I-boats

Robj

Lieutenant

No gearbox is 100% efficient. There are losses that occur due to friction. These loses are converted to heat, which is dissipated through the drive and to the water. If the gearbox losses are 5% (just a guess), then 5% of engine horsepower say 140, is about 7 hp lost due to heat when the engine is under max load. Not sure what type of heat yours is generating, but some heat is normal. On my drive I don't notice any heat, but in theory and actual fact it is there. Excessive heat may be an indication of another problem though.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Bui73168

Cadet

It a VOVOL PENTAL AQ131
It just fell hot and you just can't put your hand in there , like for 3 min.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bayliner does not make outdrives, but the numbers 270 or 275 indicate a Volvo Penta drive, yea, they get warm, which is normal.
What kind of oil did you use in the drive, and what engine is pushing the drive.

Bui73168

Cadet

Don
which type oil do i need to put on there
last time i put 10 w 40

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Don
which type oil do i need to put on there
last time i put 10 w 40

Thats why its running hotter youre using way too thin a oil You CANT use motor oil in a gear case. you need 80-90W at least or whatever weight your drive specs out for

Don S

Thats why its running hotter youre using way too thin a oil You CANT use motor oil in a gear case. you need 80-90W at least or whatever weight your drive specs out for

Wrong Rob454, 10W40 is what the manual calls for for that drive.

The upper gear boxes do get warm, and after a long run under load they can be downright hot.
If it gets HOT on muffs, then it needs to be dissasembled and the bearings and gears inspected.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Ok I believe you. It jsut seems a little too thin for any real protection.
Rob

Don S

It jsut seems a little too thin for any real protection.

They have been using it on that type of drive for over 30 years with no problems. Just because it seems thin to you, isn't a very good reason to tell someone they CAN'T use it.