'71 johnson 100hp won't start (new batt, starter, sel)

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice
please help!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />i just bought a 1971 johnson 100hp seahorse engine. i bought a new battery, installed it, and the boat immeadiately turned over (and over and over and over). that was the last time it did. the starter would not do any think but click - sometimes it would spin but not engage. weak battery right? charged battery overnight - no help. took starter apart, cleaned all connections, lightly oiled - no help. bought rebuilt starter - now were getting somewhere - starter will engage but acts like it doesn't have enough power to turn. weak battery right? charged battery overnight - no help. bought new selanoid, new rubber "band", cleaned all connections - no help. GET THIS - if i pull out all the plugs; it turns over perfect (turns over w/one plug also, but no more). doesn't matter which cylinder one plug is in. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO.<br /><br />PLEASE HELP,<br /><br />mason third

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: '71 johnson 100hp won't start (new batt, starter, sel)

Try this;<br /> Remove all the plugs.Borrow a compression gauge if you don't have one. You can also rent them at auto parts stores.<br />While you have the plugs out,give each cylinder a shot of WD40 directly into the cylinders,and turn it over on the muffs for 10-20 seconds. If the compression test shows compression equal or with 10% of each other,<br />install the regapped (or new) plugs and give it a try.<br />It could have been sitting so long, that any<br />fuel in the jugs could've turned-into a hard coating of varnish.<br />And it wouldn't hurt to decarb the entire engine once it starts. But have new plugs on hand afterwards. I fear you'll need them.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

You may want to inspect the condition of the lower unit lube also.

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info. now i know my engine has good compression. the numbers read as follows : 1: 130<br /> 2: 125<br /> 3: 131<br /> 4: 125<br /><br />the lube looked good, the plugs are new.<br />-one further bit- my engine doesn't have a safety to keep it from starting in gear - so to test out the drive i cranked it (w/out plugs) in forward, reverse, and nuetral. all spun the prop like they were supposed to.

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

AHA!<br /><br />I FOUND A REPLY FROM AUG 2000 FROM Capt DHD.<br />He suggested (to "nicko") to do a drop load test. I am getting about a reading of 6.5-7 volts @ the starter, about 10 - 10.5 volts @ the battery. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET A "STARTING SYSTEM" WIRING DIAGRAM TO HELP TROUBLESHOOT THIS THING????ANY REPLY WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS<br /><br />MASON THIRD

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Mason III. You can probably find this one without a diagram. Since you have replaced the starter and the solenoid your hot side connections are probably good. I'd bet a fifth of 12 year old scotch that the ground cable from the battery is trying to work through corrosion where it is bolted to the block. Been there, done that. . .'sept I was lucky enough to find it before buying parts I didn't need.<br /><br />Good luck, and let us know.<br />JB
smile.gif

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

JB<br /><br />YOU CAN SEND THE SCOTCH TO:<br /><br />P.O. BOX 1001<br />GREENSBORO, GA 30642<br /><br />- I ALREADY CHECKED THAT (IT LOOKED GOOD, BUT I WENT AHEAD AND USED A WIRE BRUSH TO CLEAN ALL PARTS THEN REASSEMBLED)<br /><br />P.S. THAT IS NOT MY REAL ADDRESS<br /><br />THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO.<br /><br />MASON THIRD<br /><br />(THIRD IS MY LAST NAME BY THE WAY)

Easttxhunter

Cadet

Here is a lil info on checking your system first do a load test on your battey. you will need a carbon pile type load tester. Put a load of half the cold crankng amps and see what voltage your battery is at. It should not go below 10.5 volts if so replace battery. Then Do a load test on your starter it should not draw over 200 amps also i see that you said your getting 7.5 volts at starter? Do a voltage drop test on positive and negative cables. If either one is over .5 volts check for bad connection corrision or bad cables.

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Easttxhunter,<br /><br />i am a little confused however, about the "test the positive & negative terminals @ the starter." how do i do that? and when you said neither should be over .5 volts - over .5 total ... or .5 different ... or .5 over 10 to 10.5?<br /><br />once again, thanks<br /><br />mason

Easttxhunter

Cadet

When doing a volt drop test take the pos or neg cable and put one end of the volt meter to the battery connection and the other end to the soleniod or starter where ever the cable ends. Make sure your on the same cable and your volt meter is set to small voltage scale. Turn the moter over with the key and take a reading. The voltage drop should be .5 volts or less on each cable. If your are getting 1.0 or more volts this will cause havoc on your electrical system. Puts strain on battery starter wiring etc.... Lok for bad terminals corrsion ect... if you have more than . 5 hopes that helps it is not really complicated just take your time and narrow the problem down Good luck e-mail if you have any Questions I will try to answer them Blaine

slug0

Recruit

What Easttxhunter,means is you have 10.5 volts at the batt. you should have 10.0 volts at the starter. that would be .5 volt drop. If you only have 7.5 at starter that would be a 3 volt drop.probly a bad cable or conn.

markcv

Cadet

You might be able to get a wiring diagram from www.outboardparts.com <br />Is there anyway to start or pull over this beast the old fashion way. With a rope.<br />That would see if you have a electrical problem or another problem. I knows it sounds stupid, but once I had a motor that was putting so much gas in the cylinders that it had a hard time rolling over with the plugs in. Could not compress a liquid. Try the rope and see what happen.<br /><br />markcv

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the suggestion markcv,<br /><br />how hard should it be to crank w/the pull start? I was able to get it to turn over, but it wasn't anywhere near like cranking a lawnmower. the only boat engine i ever cranked by hand before was a 5hp engine. i don't think if there was that much resistance that i would be able to crank this engine manually. is that normal?<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />mason

markcv4

Cadet

Mason<br /><br /> Well she will crank harder than your lawn mower. But in the same sence it should crank easy enough for you to start it. In other words, with a good hard pull you should be able to get it rolling a little. If you are struggling just to pull it over than something is wrong. I think you are talking about with the plugs in the engine. If so, how hard does it pull with them out. <br />Remember when you remove the plugs the compression that you have is able to come out of the holes the plugs were in. With the plugs in, the compression has to come out the exaust. Maybe you problem is there. I take it you bought this motor and it has never run for you? <br />Let me know how you make out.<br /><br />markcv

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

markcv<br /><br />i had actually thought about that when 12footer suggested pulling the plugs and spraying w/ wd40 (thinking fuel solidfied or something). the motor turns over great w/the plugs out (using the starter). i got sidetracked w/my voltmeter and went to town measuring volts and load volts, etc... i still don't have a clue what is wrong w/this thing. the guy i bought it from got it from his father-in-law (who bought it new). he said he (the father-in-law) "got it tuned up at the end of summer." i assumed he winterized it. from a quick visual, it has new plugs, a new amplifier, several new gaskets, probably rebuilt carbuerators. anyway, i thought about the exhaust possibly being "plugged" in some capacity. can i shoot compressed air in the exhaust outlet (with the plugs removed)?<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />mason

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

markcv<br /><br />i had actually thought about that when 12footer suggested pulling the plugs and spraying w/ wd40 (thinking fuel solidfied or something). the motor turns over great w/the plugs out (using the starter). i got sidetracked w/my voltmeter and went to town measuring volts and load volts, etc... i still don't have a clue what is wrong w/this thing. the guy i bought it from got it from his father-in-law (who bought it new). he said he (the father-in-law) "got it tuned up at the end of summer." i assumed he winterized it. from a quick visual, it has new plugs, a new amplifier, several new gaskets, probably rebuilt carbuerators. anyway, i thought about the exhaust possibly being "plugged" in some capacity. can i shoot compressed air in the exhaust outlet (with the plugs removed)?<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />mason

Howard Allen

Seaman Apprentice

HI;<br />I am having the same problem with my 1969 28HP Evinrude. I just bought the motor and hooked a battery up and all I got was a couple of clicks. I took the starter motor apare and it was obvious no one had used if for years! It was all gummed up and rusted. I cleaned all the rust up. Fortunately the armature was in good shape and the brushes seemed OK. After lubricating and reassembly the starter would turn fine, but would not turn the engine over with the plugs in. Plusgs out, would do fine. Still have not figure out the problem but would suggest you remove your starter and do the same thing I have, hopefully you will have better luck. I have not done a load test on it yet, but plan to follow the advice you were given. You should too, but make sure that starter is in reasonable shape to begin with! Let ME know if you figure it out - sounds like we are having the same luck!

thirdm

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply howard,<br /><br />if nothing else, i know that someone feels my pain!!!!!!!i have rebuilt starter that i just bought. i thought maybe it was screwed up so i took it off, got the old one and cleaned and sanded and lubed it. that didn't work so i reinstalled the rebuilt one. then i started cleaning every terminal and ground terminal in sight w/a stiff wire brush (i suggest you do that if you haven't already - J.B. Cromwell is giving out cases of 12 year old scotch if it doesn't work - see previous replies). anyway, i'll keep you posted.<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />mason

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

HEY!! That was a 5th, not a case! <br /><br />Mason, go back to Slug0's reply. If you have 10.5 volts at the battery, but only 7.5 at the starter you have a bad cable or connection, period. Nothing you can do to the motor will get it to start with only 7.5 volts available to the starter. <br /><br />Start at the battery. Measure the voltage to the negative terminal of the battery. Then go to the "hot" side of your solenoid, then to the output side of the solenoid, then to the starter terminal . . . all measured compared to the negative side of the battery. When you get the first big drop, to 7.5 volts, you will have just moved from your last good connection past the bad one.<br /><br />Should you get 10.5 volts at the starter when you measure it to the negative terminal of the battery (instead of to the block) then your negative cable from the battery to the block (as I originally suggested) is your culprit. You can prove that by measuring the voltage from the block to the negative terminal of your battery. If you measure over about .5 volts the cable or the connection is bad.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with J.B. that we have a voltage drop situation. Try running a jumper wire from the negative solenoid post dierectly to engine ground post.