General Comparison of the Three Engine Types

gcais

Cadet
I'm going to buy a boat this fall and will use it 90% on large lakes to ski, fish, tour, pull, etc. It'll be between 18 and 23 feet, maybe new or maybe used. My question relates to engine style and make. I'm confused as to the "best" type of engine to use, assuming money isn't a problem. Best to me means efficiency, ease of maintenance, reliability, etc. I have no experience and no prejudices for or against one style or make over another. Are there any references that would make comparisons? David Pascoe makes gives an interesting comparison but he's only one and I'm wondering if there are others I could check. Thanks for your help. Gcais

enforcer30

Seaman Apprentice
Re: General Comparison of the Three Engine Types

They all have positives and negatives. What type of fishing are you planing to do? If you are going into shallower water a outboard is a bit easier to use it typically will not draft as deep. Inboards are typically used for a purpose built ski boat. I/O's are a good all around boat they draft deeper than a outboard but still can be trimmed up if need be. What climate are you in. If you are in a freeze zone i.e. MN WI Inboards and I/O's need more work than outboards to get them ready for winter. If I were buying a 20 plus foot boat I would probably go with a I/O. 18-19 ft. I would go with a outboard probably a 4 stroke for ease of maintainance.

Just my 2 cents. Barry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving this to the Boat Topics and Questions (Not Engines) forum. This is a general opinion of all engines, so it shouldn't be in just the IO forum.

gcais

Cadet

Thanks for the input. I live in southern BC next to several large lakes, it does freeze in this area and I would be pulling the boat out of the water during the cold. Thanks for the reply. Gcais

gcais

Cadet

I've been reading all the responses to my, and those of others, questions re. the comparative qualities of different engines and I am just amazed at two things; how much information is available in this forum and how readily everyone gives it up. I thank each one of you for your generosity re. time, knowledge and experience. It's very helpful. Gcais.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Well, keep in mind that those comparative qualities can be subjective. Somebody may have had a terrible experience with one type. Or simply finds one type more attractive or more familiar. They all work though.

Kelly

Kachadurian

Seaman Apprentice

. I would go with a outboard probably a 4 stroke for ease of maintainance.

Is this a mistatement? 2 stroke OBs are much easier to maintain. No oil changes, fog the cylinders in the winter and you're done.

Am I missing something?

Tom

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

2 stroke outboard. they four strokes have been around, but to me they haven't proven themselves like the 2 strokes. i have several that are 50+ years old.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Is this a mistatement? 2 stroke OBs are much easier to maintain. No oil changes, fog the cylinders in the winter and you're done.

Am I missing something?

Tom
I'm running 200 Hp 2 stroke and my best friend is running a 225 Hp 4 stroke. All and all it really doesn?t make much of a difference either way. I spend just as much time refilling the oil tank as he does with his 20 minute, once a year oil change. Winterization is the same for both. Throw stabilizer in the tank and forget about it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

2 stroke outboard. they four strokes have been around, but to me they haven't proven themselves like the 2 strokes. i have several that are 50+ years old.

I have to ask, what your definition of proven? A 50 year old outboard could have 100 hours on it and a 5 year old outboard could have 4500 hours on it. Which would you consider the proven machine?

Can't speak for the lower HP motors, but there are lots and lots of large 4 strokes running around with in excess of 2000 hours of operation and still going strong. If you can get 2000 hours out of a large 2 stroke your doing pretty darn good.

Don’t get me wrong, I run a 2 stroke and will most likely repower with 2 stroke for performance reasons, but everyone that I know that went 4 stroke have nothing but good things to say about them. These are guys that regularly put 200-300 hours a year on a motor so it's not like these motors are not getting a workout.

reelfishin

Captain

I've always thought about the three like this:
On an OB, if the motor fails or the drive leaks, you don't sink. (On an IB, if the shaft seal fails, you take on water, if the boots fail on an IO you take on water).

On an IO or IB, you have to deal with the risers, manifolds, and be more concerned about proper winterizing the motor.
An IO is however usually a bit better on fuel than the average outboard 2 stroke, they have more torque for pulling, and parts are more normalized and automotive like. They also run on pump gas, no mixing of fuel/oil or no worrying about an oil injection pump failing.

An inboard is a fixed drive, so there's no tilt and trim, no raising the drive to run shallow areas and are generally harder to load and trailer.

Myself, I have never been a fan of 2 stroke motors, but on the water I sort of prefer them lately simply since you do not have the concern of a boot or gasket failing. IO repairs can be a bit more involved when it comes to the final drive and boots, while an outboard can be a challenge to work on as well due to their compact design. Outboards are also lighter, take up less room inside the boat, and can be replaced with far less work if the need arises.
If I were ocean bound, with no concern of shallow water and was after economy and simplicity, I'd go IB, if I was more concerned with towing a skier and wanted some fuel economy, I may consider an IO, but for all around use, I seem to prefer an OB. Most of my motors are older, and have held up well. If I were to be buying something new, I'd probably look at the new Evinrude Etec. 4 stoke is nice but it adds weight and is a good deal harder to work on. Keep in mind you have a timing belt, more complicated cylinder heads, and oil to change and maintain. On a two stroke, all of that is eliminated and with todays technology, they've made the newer 2 stokes both quiet, and reliable. Not to mention the lack of smoke and rough idle that was always part of a 2 stroke.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you can go new BRP has offered a seven year warranty during some periods for their outboards.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Advantages of outboard power:
10. Engine doesn't take up space better utilized for livewell/baitwell/fishing gear/beer.
9. Doesn't require a contortionist to work on the engine.
8. Low power-to-weight ratio.
7. Repower? Easy.
6. Winterize? No need.
5. Park on the beach? Spur of the moment prop change? Shallow water or stumpfield? no problem - engine tilts completely out of the water.
4. No bellows.
3. Trim meter broke? Who cares!
2. Dead battery? You did save that little rope with the handle that comes with all outboards, right?

And the number one advantage of outboard power:
1. Everyone can see how big it is.

gcais

Cadet

Again, thanks for the great information. I was not aware that 2 stroke engines had made good changes to their performance. That, among other examples of my ignorance, is why I ask the question. Gcais