GT150 JOHNSON

FARQUART

Cadet
I went to change the lower unit gear lube in my Johnson and found the lube to be milky. I went to my dealer and bought a new prop seal thinking water must be coming past that. After removing the prop there shows no sign of oil on that seal. I pulled lower unit (which is a pain) and did not see anything that looked oily around or under water pump. Is there somthing I'm missing. Any advise will be greatly welcomed.<br /><br />thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: GT150 JOHNSON

Most likely you will not see anything. When the motor is running the gearcase creates a vacuum and can suck water in. As long as the unit is off, have the dealer pressure and vacuum test it after you (or him)replace all the seals and o rings. Resealing is too easy to not do it all including the shift shaft seal (o ring).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

An afterthought -- don't forget to reset the shift rod height after it's resealed.

FARQUART

Cadet

Thanks DHADLEY for the info. Now if I could rack your brain one more time, I reinstalled lower unit but I did not adjust the shift rod. How do I do that?<br /><br />thanks again!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thats done just before you reinstall it. Very critical to gear life. If you had a dealer check pressure and vacuum, he should automatically set it for you. Just make sure you didn't turn the shift rod in or out after it was set.