The bad news keeps growing...

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today, I was sifting through pictures I had taken, trying to get a view of my cylinder head and I stumbled upon this one:

hgasket3.jpg

I noticed the crack below the #2 cylinder on the block. Went outside to see it in real life and sure enough, its a crack...

Just *&$%*&# great...

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A USED, UNCRACKED 3.0?

mkpj1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: The bad news keeps growing...

I don't see it? where is it? By the casting stamp? How did water get into the cylinders? It's all the way into the water jacket through the cylinder??? Probably could just weld there if it's just to the jacket? How are the cylinder walls?

Ken

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

External on the block, just underneath the #2 cylinder. Crack is about 1" below the block deck. Its not internal, but with all the other problems including a #1 piston that looks like a bomb went off on it, I just need to get the thing replaced.

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check on Craigslist in Knoxville boats section. Or even post a boat ad yourself, WTB

Our local marine repair had a used engine for a decent price. Maybe yours can give you some ideas on where to ask around. Good luck!!

mkpj1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are the cylinder walls in bad shape...ie....big gouges? why not pull the engine and have it cleaned and honed and just rebuild? would be a whole lot cheaper than a remanfactured and you would know what you have a far as parts and work. Break it down and have everything checked. Then if something is fragged, replace it if possible or in the worst case scenario, get another engine.

Sorry if i missed an earlier post where this was already determined but i would calm down, drink a few beers, pull that motor and break it down to see whats what.

Good Luck.

Ken

ziggy

Admiral

IF it's an external only crack, ya might try glueing (marine tex, jb weld, epoxy) it back together. sounds like some folks here have luck with that.......good manchinest can probably weld it up for ya........the question is, is it only and external crack, or is it internaly cracked too i'd think..........

Flyin1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is a company on ebay called michiganmotors. They have a few NEW 3.0L motors there. I found em just searching mercruiser 3.0 on ebay. I would try craigslist too. G'luck!

atomictaco

Cadet

Today, I was sifting through pictures I had taken, trying to get a view of my cylinder head and I stumbled upon this one:

hgasket3.jpg

I noticed the crack below the #2 cylinder on the block. Went outside to see it in real life and sure enough, its a crack...

Just *&$%*&# great...

You might have it checked out and if it is only in the cooling jacket you can drill the ends, v out the crack and JB Weld it. My 3.0 is cracked as well but the previous owner made a temp fix and I will be doing this fix after boating season. From what I have read in several forums many have good success with this repair.

You might also try calling Donnie's Marine and Auto in Andersonville. I just picked up my boat from him Monday and he is very reasonable. He may know where you can get what you need for reasonable. His number is 494-7900.

Robj

Lieutenant

I think you need to replace the block. There are enough problems with it that warrant its replacement. Why throw lots of $$$ at a block with a crack in it, possible problems between cylinders and with a bad piston. Even if you JB weld it, it is probably only a temporary fix. If the engine was in the boat and the only problem with it was the crack, then JB weld it. But that is not the case here. Get a new block and fix it right. Just my $.02.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you need to replace the block. There are enough problems with it that warrant its replacement. Why throw lots of $$$ at a block with a crack in it, possible problems between cylinders and with a bad piston. Even if you JB weld it, it is probably only a temporary fix. If the engine was in the boat and the only problem with it was the crack, then JB weld it. But that is not the case here. Get a new block and fix it right. Just my $.02.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Agreed.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, SOME good news, I had my manifold/riser pressure checked and it came back showing no leaks.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

...got the head back today and it was definitely cracked...

The crack ran all the way through the #2 exhaust valve area.

Dante04SRT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

That's really NOT good news per se'

If you replace/rebuild the engine you still need to replace the manifold/riser. Don't use one that was pressure checked. Pressure checks only tell you if it's not leaking....they usually don't tell you when it will start leaking.....

Well, SOME good news, I had my manifold/riser pressure checked and it came back showing no leaks.