power trim haywire

jec1970

Cadet
i recently bought a pre-owned javelin fish & ski boat. i have used it twice and both times the power trim switch has gone haywire. sometimes, not all the time, when i turn the main power switch on the motor trims down and stays on in the down position. sometimes it doesn't. the only way to stop this is to switch my main off or (here is the haywire part) i flip my trim switch up. sometimes when i flip my trim switch up the main power light comes on. any clues?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: power trim haywire

And what engine are we talking about here?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

OK -- so what is this main power switch and main power light you are talking about? Is the main power switch a battery switch? If the trim system operates when that switch is turned on, the down trim relay is either stuck closed, the trim switch itself is bad, or there is a wiring problem. Swap the up and down relays and see if the problem no goes to the UP position. If it does, replace the relay. If it doesn't have any effect, its the switch or a wiring problem. I have no idea what the main power light is you mention.

jec1970

Cadet

the main power switch is the one that you have to have on for the lights, bilge, live wells, depth finder, radio, etc to work. it is a toggle switch on the front panel & it lights up in the on position.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a 90' Javelin F&S that has had similiar issues. The bow-mounted trim switch was taking on water and shorting out. The rubber cap had broken down. I believe you got some wires rubbing together.