Gun control in Australia c&p

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Whether you agree or not, it's an interesting lesson in history. Something to think about...

-----------------------------

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

-----------------------------

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:

. Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent

. Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent

. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

. In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past

12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our president, governors or other politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans.....before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'.

Without them, we are 'subjects'.

If you value your freedom, Please spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends

Not sure of all the facts, but it's interesting none the less. Maybe our Aussie friends can shed some light on this :p

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Gun control in Australia c&p

I don't see how you can argue that gun control kills people.

As the quote says, "When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns."

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Is it still illegal to sell whiskey and guns to Native Americans? ;)

waterinthefuel

Commander

Zmoz I worded that wrong. As my quote shows, I'm against gun control. I should have said, "I don't see how you can argue that gun control DOESN'T kill people."

Sorry about that, I totally agree with ya.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

The Aussies tell me those facts are not true for them.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I forgot where I read it, but in interviews with hardened criminals they consistently said that their biggest fear was an armed homeowner . . . ;)

Dunaruna

Admiral

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:

. Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent

. Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent

. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

. In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past

12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

Not sure of all the facts, but it's interesting none the less. Maybe our Aussie friends can shed some light on this :p

I'm refreshingly surprised to realise that facts still don't get in the way of a good story. The above article was part of a diatribe from Charlton Heaston in response to our new gun control laws. It was (and apparently still is) squarely aimed at you guys.

The new gun laws came into effect in 1996, the article was written in 1997. The first full accurate statistics comparing the different time periods was not compiled until 1998. Apparently, Chucky had a crystal ball.

The 1998 statistics were - (although accidental & suicide gun deaths were lower, they are not included in the following)

murder down 13.7%
Armed (gun) robbery down 12% (remember that sentence ?- "wooping 44%")
Armed assault down 4.2%

The article claimed that in Victoria homicides with firearms are up 300% - WOW! 300%! The actual figure should read DOWN by 19%.

All this happenned 11 years ago, the fact is, the figures dropped further and are now plateauing.

Here's another fact that the NRA don't bother to repeat. It's not illegal to own a firearm in Australia. Anybody can apply for a permit. I have a permit.

O/k, have at it.................................

sun_runner235

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are the cannons on my boat considered guns? If so, Shiver Mi Timbers..... :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am not sure about Heston's connection to this, but I will say I think he is pretty OK in my book. Anybody that swims upstream in Hollywood has my respect. Here's what Snopes had to say:

Aussie Gun Law thing

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Now that Australia has solved the gun problem I guess they'll be going after the cutlery next.

"Knives are used in more violent attacks than any other weapon, accounting for a third of all murders and attempted killings across Australia in the past year."

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=35153

Yep, if they were consistant, they should apply the same reasoning that they use to eschew guns. But I doubt they will. Knives are so abundant that it would bankrupt Oz to intitiate a 'buy back' program for them.:p

...besides, knives are romantic, guns are just mean.:eek:

Bigprairie1

Commander

I'm refreshingly surprised to realise that facts still don't get in the way of a good story. The above article was part of a diatribe from Charlton Heaston in response to our new gun control laws.
....yep, the facts always get in the way of a good story on this issue. Canada does not have much history of gun ownership and continues to have a general decline in that kind of related violent crime.
What I get a kick out of is with the decline in violent crime...home sales of security systems have never been better. What the?....ahhh, more good fear marketing....and whats even better is that it works every time.
Now, that said, the government blew about $2 billion bucks recently on a gun registration system.....what a ridiculous waste of money. It is on the verge of dying a political death thankfully.
There was never much of a problem with this stuff up here....but now were out $2 billion bucks.....I want my money back!!!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

The Aussies tell me those facts are not true for them.

that's cause the govt told them to say that...they had no way to defend their real opinion against the govt!

you see me, I'm armed......just a warning!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Now that Australia has solved the gun problem I guess they'll be going after the cutlery next.

"Knives are used in more violent attacks than any other weapon, accounting for a third of all murders and attempted killings across Australia in the past year."

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=35153

Noboby has ever claimed that the problem is 'solved' but (for us) it is a step in the right direction.

The cutlery comment is just rediculous.

waterinthefuel

Commander

What I find funny is that I believe it's in Switzerland all 18yo males must go into the military and learn how to use an assault rifle. They are then required (I think) to have at least one at their home. The violent crime rate in Switzerland is the lowest of any developed nation, AFAIK.

Looks like when you arm the citizenry criminals are scared.