Cost of wisdom tooth removal

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class
My teen needs two wisdom teeth removed. They are saying $400 / $450 per tooth. I was wondering if this is in line?

Thanks

Jeff

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cost of wisdom tooth removal

Ya got a pair of vise grips?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Is this before there are problems with the tooth (as in abcessed) or is this a preventive move?

If not going under with anethesia, it sounds high.

Price will be higher if the roots are wrapped around the jaw or nearby teeth, etc.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

Find A Old Military Doc. He Will Take Em Out. May Be A Little Rough. But There Good. Mine Ya Pay That Day Walk In Sevice In And Out In 20 Min. The Way I Like It.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Had mine done at the local dental college, mid size university program. Ran less than that for all four wisdom plus 2 others that I broke off playing hockey. My lowers were wrapped around the jaw bone. I only had local anesthetics and it took several trips to do it (2 at a time). The attending actually performed the surgery so I wasn't to worried about it. Also, I didn't use my insurance for the procedure. It was cheaper not to.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Find A Old Military Doc. He Will Take Em Out. May Be A Little Rough. But There Good. Mine Ya Pay That Day Walk In Sevice In And Out In 20 Min. The Way I Like It.

I think thats who my parents took me to when I was a kid that guy was about 80 I think and still used the hammer and chisel to "loosen" the tooth.:eek: he also used really dull needles but hey he was cheap. only charged about $20/tooth. it was less painful to get a filling without novicane than the shot.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The days of a $20.00 extraction or an $11.00 filling are long gone.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Its been about 4 years or so ago that I had 5 pulled, 4 which were wisdom. I had "verset" which is an amnesia type drug where you don't feel anything and you kinda go to sleep but your really still awake. It required an anthesioligist and my total bill was 1650 or so.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I think you're talking about Versed, which is a first cousin to Valium and used extensively in dentistry. Frequently given with Fentanyl. The requirement of an anesthesiologist depends on the state. It's not a requirement here.

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

I just had a surgical extraction of a molar including a bone graft. All I can say is Valium and Laughing Gas with multiple numbing injections barely did anything for me. It was a 2 1/2 hour pain filled procedure. I think a couple shots of Tequila would have done a better job for me. The worse part was when they told me not to smoke or "drink" for a week after. :eek::eek:

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wisdom teeth are not abcessed, they are just coming in. Just general anethesia.

Roots are fine this is just preventive.

We paid $83 to get the quote of $400 / $450 per tooth. Other place in town also charges for quote - we're wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Jeff

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would say let them come in and keep them as long as possible.
I am nearing 50 and still have the lowers, although they are mostly fillings.
The only reason the uppers were pulled was making a choice of capping them or pulling them.

gss036

Commander

If you are really concerned and want them out go across the border to Canada. It will be considerably cheaper.
I am "almost mid 60's and still have all of mine intact, never has a problem.
Price wise, in the states that sounds about right. That is the only way they can make inexcess of $250K annually.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

(if you're still reading this)

Sounds exorbitant to me, but probably very dependent on where you live and whether there might be complications. I had one done 2 years ago and a couple of months ago got a quote for another one that needs to be done. No complications, general anesthesia: under $125 in both cases. Surprisingly simple & pain free procedure for the one I had done. First was done in Raleigh NC, quote for second one is from a small town in rural NC.

I would say let them come in and keep them as long as possible.
I am nearing 50 and still have the lowers, although they are mostly fillings.
The only reason the uppers were pulled was making a choice of capping them or pulling them.

I'd suggest the opposite unless he's got a really big mouth (from the perspective of room for teeth, lol). He might get lucky like jeeperman, but even so he might end up paying more in the long run since there's a higher chance of cavities/ fillings since it's often harder to clean wisdom teeth because of lack of room. Worse, he might end up with crowding (overlap) of front teeth if everything gets pushed forward to make room for the wisdom teeth. Thats what happened to me; I really wish I had mine pulled when I was a teenager before the crowding occurred.

Last edited:

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had mine removed about 12 years ago and it was brutal... General anesthesia but when I woke up I was in a lot of pain.. They told me to "take tylenol".. rat bastids... wasn't long before I was reeling in pain and had to go back for pain medicine.. It was so bad I was unable to sleep for days.. Then I got "dry socket" and the pain continued for weeks.. It was a horrible experience and I'd put it off if you can.

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the comments. I think I am really being overcharged, but I made the appointment. It would be nice to just leave them in, but I just spent $4200 on braces, and I don't want to mess that work up.

Jeff

freddyray21

Commander

seems high to me. I had 14 removed for about that price. Local with sedation dentistry.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Thanks for all the comments. I think I am really being overcharged, but I made the appointment. It would be nice to just leave them in, but I just spent $4200 on braces, and I don't want to mess that work up.

Jeff

Not bad. My son charges $5200.