need truck bedliner info -& opinions

Cptkid570

Ensign
I'm going to be taking out the carpet that is stuck to the sides in my cockpit area. I'm debating on what to replace it with. I don't want to put carpet. Should I put a gelcoat over it? I've been reading about people using truck bedliner. Would something like that work well?<br /><br />Where do I buy the truck bedliner that sprays on? Do auto parts stores sell it? Is it pricey?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need truck bedliner info -& opinions

The good stuff costs, but it is miles ahead of carpet for sound deadening, cleaning and longevity.<br /><br />You probably want roll on.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

I've never been brave enough to do that myself, but, I have seen a boat done with REAL Rhinoliner (not the stuff you get that claims it's the same).<br />This guy just took his boat to a truck bed place and had it sprayed in.<br /> I LIKED WHAT I SAW.<br />For the price he paid, compared to carpet, If that's what you want...It's LOTS CHEAPER. <br />But, not sure how long I'd like it, so, I've just never done it.<br /><br />He Spent around $400.00 and his "not carpet job" was done by somebody elses labor.<br />I think I spent more than that on carpet and supplies on most boats...and that doesn't count any labor.<br /><br />Don't use a dark color.

Realgun

Commander

As I understand it the lighter colored stuff is fadeing and cracking no matter the brand. They will not spray anything but black or grey here for that reason. Otherwise they tell you your warantee is shorter.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It can work well, but one down side is how heavy it is, you can add a couple of hundred pounds pretty fast.

tashasdaddy

i hate carpet is a boat, it has no place there. holds moisture, causes mildew, rot, stink.

lagoon bandit

Seaman Apprentice

My $.02 for non-skid.... Apply a good layer of epoxy paint. Then completely cover the wet paint with play box sand. I do mean completely cover with an extra 1/4 inch of sand on top...let paint dry. Then sweep up the sand that did not stick and save incase you need more. Run a vacuum over it to make sure all the lose sand is gone. Then apply another layer of paint on top. If you want more non-skid then repeat..<br /><br />It is not the best but in my opinion for the time, money and effort it is worth it. Also it will last a long time.<br />Just to note this is how Mickey mouse dose SOME of his non-skid in the water park/rides

tashasdaddy

Lowes sells American Traditison non skid deck paint for $20 gallon. very thick and long lasting.

Cptkid570

Ensign

This won't be on the deck, it will be in the cockpit.. on the gunwhales (don't know if I spelled that right)...<br /><br />That non-skid deck paint sounds like it could be a real good option... Is it for boat decks or for decks as in the deck in the back of a house?

Cptkid570

Ensign

When you say epoxy paint.. is that a paint used to cover epoxy or is it a paint that has epoxy in it (sorry about the dumb question..I don't know paint stuff too well)

lagoon bandit

Seaman Apprentice

You know how you have latex, oil base paints well the will dry by them selfs. How ever with epoxy base paint you need a harder to have it dry. The paint itself seem to "stick" very well. epxy paint is strong and durable<br />I guess if you wanted to use a diffrent paint it would still work

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I'd go with carpet hands down. I get what guys are saying about carpet but it's obvious most buyers and manufacturers prefer it when you consider the fact that almost every new boat offered is carpeted. In fact, the more the boat costs the more carpet you generally see. Hose it off from time to time and make sure you dry your boat out before you cover it and you won't have a problem. It does hold moisture but once water gets under your floors - and it will - anything covering the top of the floors will tend to trap moisture inside. I'm not sure it's any worse than the alternatives where this is concerned. <br /><br />I just carpeted my 18' Lund, including an extra rear casting deck and the insides of the hull above the floors for less than $200.oo in materials so cost isn't a factor either. <br /><br />It's just personal preference I suppose but it's hard to beat carpet for comfort and appearance.<br /><br />If your boat is alumninum you have to consider the fact that it doesn't hold coatings very well even with the correct surface prep and materials made for just this purpose. I'm all for alternative materials but there's no economy in having to clean up this mess and do it again a year from now. I'm not so sure you'll get a good result or longevity from some of the alternatives mentioned on an aluminum or fiberglass boat. It's worth some consideration anyway. <br /><br />My humble opinion.

tashasdaddy

i think it gets down to the "bling" factor. looks or convenience. and what your are using the boat for. carpet and fish guts don't mix.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent point fishing boats (except for bass boats) dont have carpets.Any good fishing boat has no carpeting for ease of cleaning and durability.From the 17,000 Key West to the 225,000 Boston Whaler there is no carpeting on the deck.

studlymandingo

Commander

I have a black Rhino Liner in my Pickup...Very very very hot in the FL summer. I don't think it would be fun sitting in the boat on the water with the heat coming from all around. Much less walking around in bare feet...ouch. I think glassing over and using a non-skid (light-colored) paint would be the best way to go.

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a 18' Tiderunner that had the carpet /seats ripped out and the floor re-glassed. The guy I bought it from said he put sand in the paint and it is a very non-skid surface! He says its great for salmon blood and not falling out of the boat when you are leaning over the side for a fish. I'm not as big of fisherman so I plan on covering it with a rubberized deck paint to soften the non-skid for my bare feet. But other than that the surface looks great. Try a nonskid additive with a deck paint... I know I've seen them at the marine stores. Mine looks fine, I thought it came that way untill he told me.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

For what it is worth and being in the car business i have never seen a badliner retain its color for more than 2/3 years black included.