Finished My Boat Makeover!

redfury

Commander
Re: Finished My Boat Makeover!

gorgeous! That's all I have to say about the boat. After seeing the end results of some of these projects, I have to say that I've got even more confidence that I'll end up with the same end result when I get around to doing the painting on my boat...things like this really get me revved up!

Willyclay

Captain

Great work! The reflection of the trailer fender on the side of the boat sold me on Imron. Also, that's the best transom plate/motor mount plate I've ever seen. Did you make that yourself from diamond-plate stock or did it come with the boat?

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great work! The reflection of the trailer fender on the side of the boat sold me on Imron. Also, that's the best transom plate/motor mount plate I've ever seen. Did you make that yourself from diamond-plate stock or did it come with the boat?

I made the diamond plate. Its really hard to cut. But I didnt have to cut much. My father works at big shop that runs rocket engines and jet plane engines, so they use diamond plate for some of their test stands. I asked him if he had some laying around and he brought that to me and it was perfect. I trimmed a little bit of it and cut out a spot for my drain plug and bolted it up ( i put some marine kaulking around the edges of it as well).

Cory

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Quick question...If you had the gun and an air compressor that could keep up, why didn't you opt to spray the hull?

I've seen brushed hulls and rolled, but sprayed has always been supierior (not saying that this is your case at all though). Just curious. You have Zero brush marks?

i386

Captain

Looks great. You should be proud!

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick question...If you had the gun and an air compressor that could keep up, why didn't you opt to spray the hull?

I've seen brushed hulls and rolled, but sprayed has always been supierior (not saying that this is your case at all though). Just curious. You have Zero brush marks?

I pondered the option of spraying the hull. I've sprayed numerous times on cars before, so this particular boat would have been a piece of cake.

I decided to experiment. I had read a few articles online and talked to some people from interlux that said that quality paint jobs can be had by brushing. So I figured I would give it a try. I put on the primer first and saw how smoothly it went on. Then after the first coat, I realized that this was going to turn out great.

Andy - I have ZERO brush marks anywhere on the boat. My eyesight is very good, and I am considered by many to be very "maticulous". I used a couple very fine brushes to do the base coats. Like the $5 ones at Home Depot.

Cory

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Nice. I might give it try one day just to see how it works.

I can imagine the paint going smooth on the hullsides but how was applying it to the interior of the boat and the console. These have all the little angles and turns which I would think would be hard to paint with a brush. What was your experience in these areas?

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice. I might give it try one day just to see how it works.

I can imagine the paint going smooth on the hullsides but how was applying it to the interior of the boat and the console. These have all the little angles and turns which I would think would be hard to paint with a brush. What was your experience in these areas?

It did take a little bit more concentration and time for the interior (not so much the gunnels or transom...but the console itself). I found it best to use a 1/2 inch fine tip brush with a nice angle on it. This helped put paint where I wanted it. Dont forget to mask things off as needed...that will help. Just take your time in these kinds of areas. The sides of the boat can be done in no time depending on the size of your boat.

Cory