63 Evinrude 40hp: engine wont idle

zerop3

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a boat with a 40hp Evinrude (model 40352D and serial E02386) on it. I had to take apart the carburetor to get the needle seat un stuck so that I could start it. I did not have a carburetor kit so I was not able to rebuild it. I put it all back together and was able to get it to start, but I can't get it to idle. I have purchased a manual for this motor and it does not tell me what to do to get it to idle. I plan on purchasing a rebuild kit for the carburetor and see if that will help. Does anyone have any other suggestions.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 63 Evinrude 40hp: engine wont idle

My manual indicates 63 has adjustable high and low speed jets.<br /> Initial settings high- 3/4 turn out from gently bottomed then adj. at speed warm to best speed.<br /> low speed initial setting out 1 turn from gently<br /> bottomed then adj. warm at idle.

zerop3

Seaman Apprentice

My book also showed the high and low jets, but at the time I was looking for an idle adjustment like a car would have. I did finally find this on the outside of the motor where the throttle cable goes into the motor. I have ordered a carb kit and plan on rebuilding it tomorrow. I have also purchased all new fuel lines and a new fuel line with primer buld for the tank. I am hoping the carb rebuild will solve most of my problems. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

zerop3

Seaman Apprentice

I havre rebuilt the carburetor and replaced all of the fuel lines it now starts and idles great. It has smooth acceleration through neutral while the boat was out of the water and sitting a barrel. I took the boat to the lake for the first time last night and under wot the boat would only move approx 10 mph (my speedo is broken). I did not try and pump the bulb while it was in motion as it did not act like it wasnt getting enough fuel. It felt as if their should have been more throttle left. Once I got it back home I noticed that the adjustment for the carbs butterfly didnt seem to be opening all of the way so I have adjusted it so that it will open all of the way. Is their any else that I should check on this motor to see why it was not performing correctly, I know I need to do a compression test to determine the condition of the motor, I will try and do this today if I have time. Thanks for all of the help.

zerop3

Seaman Apprentice

I have readjusted the throttle linkage and have taken boat back to the lake with no change in performance. I have not had a chance to test the compression yet. I read in another post to check the rubber hub for slippage. How do you check for slippage on the hub. Besides compession possibly being low is their anything else to check on this motor. I believe this motor should easily push the boat since the motor is the original one for the boat. I also have a 55hp chrysler that needs a fuel pump and impeller replacement and then I might try this motor on the boat. Any help is always greatly appreciated.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

for some reason you are probabley running on 1 cylinder . did you change plugs . did you check to see if both plugs wer firing .check compression. it takes more than fuel. papasage

zerop3

Seaman Apprentice

I did change the plugs before I took it out the first time. I am skeptical on whether it is firing on only one cylinder. The motor runs smooth with no noticeble miss or vibration. (nothing I wouldnt expect from a two cylinder). As soon as I can do a compression test I will post the results. I am expecting it to be low since the motor is old and I dont know the repair history on it.

jack bowman

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1965 33hp rude that was acting similarly.Turns out that I accidently changed the high sp adj on the carb when I was trying to refit the cover. <br /><br />The engine was 4 stroking from too much fuel and when I leaned it out the power came back

zerop3

Seaman Apprentice

Beats workin<br />This engine doesnt have a high speed jet that is adjustable. I am going to try and see this week if the motor is only running on one cylinder. I would think however that if a two cylinder motor was only running an one cylinder that it would be running ruff.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you only had one cylinder firing, it would be very obvious. These engines are rough sounding at idle even when running perfectly.<br /><br />You may need to get a better feel for performance. Borrow an small GPS or run alongside another boat with a GPS or good speedo and get an accurate mph reading.<br /><br />These engines only rev to maybe 4500 rpm, so they aren't high-winding like a Mercury. <br /><br />The prop has a shear pin, it either engages or it doesn't.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

what that motor has is a high speed jet that is a fixed size and the only adjustment is to get different sized jets according to elevation ... <br /><br />make sure it is clean, did you soak the metal parts in carb cleaner when you rebuilt it? blow em out with compressed air, my manual says NEVER use wire to clear em out, tho I THINK, repeat, I THINK Joe Reeves said you could gently use wire to clean em out .. hes one of the OMC Gurus on here that borders on God status, lol, I would take his hunches over most anybodys facts, if he sees your post hell prolly comment on it if you consistently get nowhere with it<br /><br />good luck!

zerop3

Seaman Apprentice

I did soak all the parts in a carb cleaner for several hours then I sprayed them with a spray carb cleaner in all of the passages to make sure that they were free of all restrictions. Then I washed them out with water to get rid of all of the solvent. I then used compressed air to dry up all of the water. I still need to do a compression test but my brother borrowed my tester several months ago and he has misplaced it. As soon as I get it back I plan on doing the test. This is the only thing that I can think of that will make the motor run the way it is. It really sounds good and runs really smooth it just doesnt seem like it reaches full power. Thanks for all of the help.