Newbie seeks first boat advice

Kimper

Cadet
Re: Newbie seeks first boat advice

Kelly,
I want to waterski, and maybe learn to wakeboard! Wife wants to cruise, sun, and go to lakeside restraunts and stuff. The dogs can stay home if need be!

For the dogs I am already considering in the back of my mind using a cargo net to make them like a sling in the bow so they don't fly around. Those weiner dogs have short legs ya know! We will see.. the dogs are a secondary consideration (plus they aren't putting any money in!)

Matt S

Seaman

Just for comparison I've gone out on the lake together with my brother, a bunch of people, and his 5500lbs (dry) Sky Supreme with the ford 351 fuel injected. After 2 days of solid tubing and wake boarding his 53 gallons is close to empty...my 23 gallons had a little over 1/4 tank left (using the 19" pitch prop). We were always out of the water together doing something so I feel it was fairly equal in load.

Of course I can't stuff 6 people in my little 18 footer..but considering his boat has twice the weight, twice the horsepower, we kept twice the people in his ;).

And really, his boat pounded just the same as mine, no less. He's got a fairly flat transom; very little - if any - deadrise. So just comparing size for ride may not be very accurate....except for fuel economy. At some point everybody has to slow down unless you're in the 10,000lbs displacement range. I suggest sitting on your dock with drink of choice when the lake is whitecapping and see who's boat is doing what.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kimper, yeah, it is fairly complicated isn't it! That's why you get the advice to rent for a while or buy used at leastuntil you really figure out what you want/need.

OK, now I'm going to solve all your problems by telling you exactly what you need!
You need a 19' open bow runabout with a 4.3L 220hp Volvo or Mercruiser power. (The 190 hp would work if it's a lighter, more shallow hull like the Stingray.) You want a captains seat with a flip-up bolster at least for the driver, no need for the passanger bolster. For your 1st boat experience i'd say middle or entry level used boat (see below for required condition). Glastron, Stingray examples of entry, Larson, Four Winns, Maxum examples of mid. Many others in both, but you get the idea.

Wake tower is worth about $1,000 extra IF you know you want one. Otherwise, aftermarket tower $1000 and very nice. Walk-thru transom nice, but certainly not needed. You Do want a swim platform, integrated one looks nicer, but same general function - most will have one I'd say in the boats you'll be looking at. Boat covers (made of Sunbrella or like) are expensive. $700 for cockpit, $400 for bow cover approx. IF they have them in great shape, that's a big savings vs. having new ones made. If you're trailering only you may want a trailering cover instead/also.

Look for a used, 2000-2002 model year. Try and spend below $15k. I did a search for these (not your area only, just FYI). Here's a few that fit the bill just fine. FourWinns middle/slightly above quality, then Stingray faster per hp and glastron cheaper brand. As you can see you can have plenty left of the $20k budget for operating cost, gas, etc. Keep in mind, these are ASKING price - expect to pay 10% less AT LEAST.

Also, if you look for a while you can find one that looks and runs VERY close to new in that age range. Do NOT compromise on crappy condition at all. Have a mechanic go over the engine/drive before paying. However, overall great condition usually means a well-kept engine as well. No rips/tears in upholstery, clean, orderly, nice looking gelcoat shine, etc. Also, a seller proud to show you his boat is a good sign!

http://www.ablboats.com/details.asp?ListingID=72286

http://www.ablboats.com/details.asp?ListingID=73486

http://www.ablboats.com/details.asp?ListingID=74658

Well, that's about all that I can think of. Oh...one more thing...OF COURSE I realoly don't know exactly what you want/need! This is, of course one person's opinion based on what you've said are your needs/wants/budget.

P.S. The dogs! They'll be fine except on very hot days. Get them little soft beds that fit under the console area for shade. Get a good dog PFD (yeah, silly, but important if they get near the sides. i though our dog would hate having one on, but he could care less.). Really rough or long days leave them home is all.

Kimper

Cadet

Great advice you guys!
If I buy from an individual as opposed to dealership what is the protocol as far as test drives and stuff? I found this one in my home town: http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/1/89412521.htm

Do you ride out to the lake with the owner and drive it around? Do you pretty much always need to get a certified marine inspector? That particular boat is still under extended warranty!

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, I'm in too deep on this thread...better than work though....

First step is go see the boat and ask about maintenance, upkeep, storage, etc. Then, if it's already on the water a test-drive maybe if interested. Often, if it's not on the water folks want to seem a certain level of interest before a test drive - deposit contingent on test drive and mechanic inspection. Don't be afraid to "offend" with a low-ball offer, they want to sell the boat! ALWAYS make offer contingent on mechanical inspection.

With a runabout that's fairly new, MY opinion is you do not need a high-priced boat inspector to look at it. You can feel arounf for soft spots on the floor, check the general condition (should be nearly new looking). However DO have a mechanic check the engine, etc prior to purchase. If it were me I'd shop the lake you're on for a marina that you'd have service the boat once owned and have them inspect prior to purchase. Ask others with boats on the lake for recommendations.

That 21' boat you noted is a lot more boat than you were earlier considering. It looks sweet though! You're topping off your budget on that one (maybe go for like 18k or so) and much more gas guzzler than smaller boat, of course. Less likely you'll be anxious to upgrade in a few years though. Extended warrany nice also...depends on how much left on it.

Also check Craigslist for boats. private sellers, usually pretty anxious to sell.

Kimper

Cadet

So much good information!

Check out this one http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/369282348.html

Not exactly sure which engine it is to look up gas usage. Looks pretty sweet if it doesn't take too much gas...

Wow Craigslist was a great tip!

This looked good too http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/371465842.html

Would you guys always test drive a boat offered up For sale by owner? Seems to be some logistical problems with this since alot of these boats are pretty far from water..

Oh yeah about those dogs and the PFDs.. Remember to my wife they are her children...
doxfloatersyt4.jpg

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey, NOW you're getting somewhere! Either of those last two will do you fine. The Glastron should FLY with that V8 power. The other would be fine also, just not as fast. Yes, the v8 will suck up more gas. So negotiate a bit on price and you;ve got $$$ to spare on your $20k budget!

Just look at those two boats....makes you wonder why anyone buys new! they really look nice!!!!! And there's plenty more where those came from in the 19-20' bowrider world.

As far as the test drive, it's a fairly mojor purchase. As I said before, IF you've put a deposit on the boat so the seller knows you're very serious about buying he should get it to the water for you. It's a BOAT!!!!! They run in water....seller needs to get it there. Different boats have different handling feel, not necessarily "better" or "worse" but just like automobiles, different drivers prefer different ride feels.

As stated before, have the mechanic YOU would be using check the engine over. Costs $300 or whatever - and you know you have a sound engine. Again, this is after you've agreed you want the boat and have a deal done contingent on test ride and inspection by mechanic. If the seller has a problem with the contingent on mechenic then run away!

I think I need to go buy a boat or something........

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Either of those boat look like a great buy. Much more in line with what you indiated you'd be using the boat for. I would have hated to see you get that big ski boat for crusing around.

MikDee

Banned

A lot of good info here, posted by people with experience, you can't go wrong, but tmh sums it all up nicely for you, and you've got the right idea now. Personally I would say, it's all good! except don't consider the gas hog ski boat, unless you're into tournament skiing, and a small wake, with never ending consistant, strong pulling power, is your goal and a few more negatives about that are: an inboard motor with a deep propshaft, rudder, & prop, that you can't get to for repairs or maintenance, a fixed down angle prop, not the most efficient for speed, & economy, these boats are really built for one purpose, skiing, & wakeboarding, not the best for fishing, or room to move around on, or cruising, they're usually heavy, and ride deep, and hard, without the usual deep vee (softer riding) type bottom. Good Luck in your quest, one more item IMO if your boat is 18' or less, and you carry a light load, you could probably get away with a 3.0 motor, best combo for speed, & economy, otherwise the 4.3 V6 FI 200hp or more is a good choice.

Kimper

Cadet

Thanks so much TMH and others!! I am in hunting mode now. Should look at some this weekend. I will keep you guys posted on the progress!

Kimper

Cadet

The V8 Glastron add poster was unreachable so I checked out these 2 today
The top contenders!

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/370366114.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/371465842.html

That Interceptor is certainly more boat than tmh recommended, but it is sexy and perfectly clean (a rare combination)! There wasn't so much as a scratch on it. It is owned by a guy who has owned alot of boats and knows how to care for them. He says the boat was used pretty frequently and never sat around for long periods. The guy lives right at the lake. This boat is also probably eligible for the extended warranty. He is going to check on Monday. The original warranty expired this month. This guys boat is listed for exactly NADA average retail price. I plan on offering him 16,500 on Monday after I hear about the eligibility for extended warranty.

The second boat is nice, and is right on target with tmh's recomendation. It was owned by a first time boater, and has a few minor dings, and it sat in water at a marina for a year and has some scaley buildup on the outboatd part of the I/O. He did have the hull cleaned or refinished or something so it was nice and clean. It has sat in storage for nearly a year with half tank of gas and fuel stabilizer. He has all service records from original dealership.

Both guys were more than happy to go on a lake test if I made an offer and neither balked at a mechanic engine inspection before the sale. I suspect that both boats are in pretty good shape and would be fine.. But that interceptor for just 3k more (asking) is where I am leaning for sure. It is a really cool boat.

What do you guys think!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I would lean strongly toward the V8 boat myself. The only advantage for this 187 example would be in storage. If you have to squeeze the boat into an extremely tight garage, etc, then the slightly smaller size of the 187, plus single axle trailer, would make that a little easier for this 187. But otherwise I think the Interceptor is the winner here.

Kelly

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Both look like great boats.....but maybe someone else can chime in on the worries of buying a boat that has been sitting for a year or so unused. My guess is there are things to watch out for with that one.

That V8 Interceptor looks great! Yeah, it should really move if that's part of what you want. It fits the "like new" criteria and is in your price range. An extended warranty is also nice of course. Just double check why he's selling it.

Now you're making real progress. Just remember, 'there's more where that one came from" to keep from overpaying too much.

Kimper

Cadet

only advantage for this 187 example would be in storage. If you have to squeeze the boat into an extremely tight garage, etc, then the slightly smaller size of the 187

Storage is not a problem. I will have a boat house on the water!

Both look like great boats.....but maybe someone else can chime in on the worries of buying a boat that has been sitting for a year or so unused. My guess is there are things to watch out for with that one.

That was my thought too tmh.
That V8 Interceptor looks great! Yeah, it should really move if that's part of what you want. It fits the "like new" criteria and is in your price range. An extended warranty is also nice of course. Just double check why he's selling it.

Yep, it looks basically new. Are there any special things I should be sure to check? I mean all I did was walk all around it, feel the hull, hop in and open up some compartments, look at the engine and ask him the standard questions. It looks really nice.. I was planning on making him an offer tomorrow contingent on a lake test and check over by a mechanic.
Now you're making real progress. Just remember, 'there's more where that one came from" to keep from overpaying too much.

I am trying to be cool about it, but im pretty excited. That is a hell of a boat, and looks like more fun than I was anticipating :)
He has it listed at almost exactly the NADA average retail value.

MikDee

Banned

That Interceptor sure is seductive, but it is basically built for speed, and style. I don't know you're requirements, it's built like a car it has front, & back seats, that you basically sit in, and don't move around much, yes it has a bowrider, but not much open space in the middle. Personally I like to get as much "walk around" open cockpit room for the size boat I choose, otherwise I feel cramped, especially once you put more then a few people on the boat, or plan to fish, or ski, but that's your call. The 5.0 engine is a good choice for economy in a V8, especially if the boats sleek, and not too heavy like this. Finally I would be concerned about why he is selling it? But, it could be like I said, he outgrew the "sports car style" novelty of it. It does seem like a sweet deal though. Good Luck, Mike

Kimper

Cadet

That Interceptor sure is seductive, but it is basically built for speed, and style. I don't know you're requirements, it's built like a car it has front, & back seats, that you basically sit in, and don't move around much, yes it has a bowrider, but not much open space in the middle. Personally I like to get as much "walk around" open cockpit room for the size boat I choose, otherwise I feel cramped, especially once you put more then a few people on the boat, or plan to fish, or ski, but that's your call. The 5.0 engine is a good choice for economy in a V8, especially if the boats sleek, and not too heavy like this. Finally I would be concerned about why he is selling it? But, it could be like I said, he outgrew the "sports car style" novelty of it. It does seem like a sweet deal though. Good Luck, Mike

Yep, Mike you nailed the guys reason for selling the boat. Or at least that's what he told me! He wants a larger cabin boat so they can stay out longer/overnight.
I called the dealership he bought it from and they told me they would do a full boat/engine check for $150 and if it was ok warranty it for $1200 for 12 months.
I am lake testing it on Wednesday. I will keep you guys posted!

MikDee

Banned

I love that boat!, I also love a brand new Corvette!, or Viper! but everyday practical? Not,,, even if I could afford it,,,LOL Good Luck in your quest!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

That Interceptor has the same cockpit layout, space, and seating as 3/4 of the bowriders on the water today. It may not be ideal for fishing. But plenty of boaters find it practical enough for cruising and watersports. Corvette it is not.

Kelly

Kimper

Cadet

Heh, I drive a two seater sports car everyday to work the grocery store etc and love it.
As Kelly said it has basically the same amount of space and storage as the 187 Caravelle I was looking at. Also, strangely enough its gas mileage at similiar speeds is actually better than the V6 190hp in the Caravelle 187 (per boattest.com). Must be the shape of the hull/weight?
I think for a couple with no kids who want to ski and a guy that always loves speed it will be just fine.
Taking her on the water tomorrow.. more to come.

MikDee

Banned

That Interceptor has the same cockpit layout, space, and seating as 3/4 of the bowriders on the water today. It may not be ideal for fishing. But plenty of boaters find it practical enough for cruising and watersports. Corvette it is not.

Kelly

Not really! My boat, and a lot of them out there that are outboard bowriders have a lot more cockpit space, and I don't feel as claustrophobic in them. It's a shame that there aren't many being made new anymore, mostly I/O's.