Easy replacement of Alpha I trim limit switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC_Regal

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all. I was just able to replace my trim limit switch and trim position sending unit with out much trouble and almost without any help. I just wanted to share this with others who may be faced with the same task.

The symptoms of a faulty trim limit switch are the up/out trim button not working while the trailer up works without a problem. The normal replacement procedure requires removal of the out drive and bellows and requires experience and special tools. I found this on another forum and would like to share and expand on that post.

Make sure you are in a spot where you can put the outdrive into the full down position. First isolate the wires at the connections inside the engine compartment. The trim limit and sender wires are paired black wires (resemble an electric light cord ). The trim limit switch connects to a purple and a double blue (these may have white stripes - mine did not) and the trim position sender usually connects to a black and a brown.

Turn outdrive to port and disconnect trim positon sender (TPS) and tape up to top of housing. Now put outdrive all the way down and to the starboard. You can now reach the bracket that holds the wires in place by running a socket extension between the bell housing and the gimbal ring, but you can't get a straight angle at the bolt. I used a 1/4 inch extension that I purchased at Lowes, part #10192, a Kobalt 6" wobble extension. With this I did not have to machine or grind down my 7/16 socket or extension. If you have a 1/4" universal, you could use it but you may have to grind (shorten) your socket to get it to fit. You could also machine a standard extension to make it thin enough that you could have a straight shot at the bolt and bracket (although-this approach might make it easier at the end). Remove the bolt and bracket and now you can pull the wires through ( that is after you attach string to the wires to fish the new ones)

I cut the bullet connections off the old wires before I pulled them through. Also it is helpful to label the strings so you know which wire is which. For the fishing strings I used heavy Weed wacker trimmer string and attached with electrical tape- it worked great. They were easy to pull through. The new wires were also easy to pull through one at a time. On the TPS, which has a male and female bullet connector, I bent the male connector back before taping it to the fishing wire. This decreased the diameter and it was easy to pull through. Leave enough wire so you can position the bracket and the gromet halves for replacement. I used a small amount of electrical tape to hold the wires together which helped hold the gromet halves together and then pulled the wires as far in as possible which set the gromets into the hole in the hull. With some patience, fiddling and luck I was able to get the bolt back through the bracket and threaded. I then tightened it down, installed and calibrated the units per the directions and that was it. Calibrating was the only time I needed any help.

Cost: $92 for the trim limit and trim sending 9 you have to purchase as a pair and $5.50 for the wobble extension. It took less than three hrs. and much of that was spent climbing in and out of the boat.

Hope this helps

brodie6

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Easy replacement of Alpha I trim limit switch

I have the same problem so thank you for taking the time to instruct us of the fix. I have found that using the trailer up button is alot easier than trying to fix the problem. Is there any reason why I should not be using the trailer up button?

rdm190

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same problem so thank you for taking the time to instruct us of the fix. I have found that using the trailer up button is alot easier than trying to fix the problem. Is there any reason why I should not be using the trailer up button?

If you trim up too far while motoring, kaboom goes your u-joints.

Both my limit switch and my sender were busted when I bought my boat. I was able to repair the sender, but the limit switch wires fell apart in my hand. I decided not to tackle the limit switch until the winter. My solution is this. I jumped the two pins on the pump so I can still use the "trim up" selector on my stalk and not have to hold the "trailer" button. I measured the travel on my trim RAM's as per Merc specs and dialed in my gauge so that the "red zone" on the dial is a no-no. This allows me to keep my trim within Merc specs. There is no saftey with this system though, if some tool were to just hold the button while motoring along things would get dicy.

-Ryan

SC_Regal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

rdm is correct, you can damage the u -joints by running with the outdrive trimmed to far out. my trim position sender was bad so I had no gauge to go by, just feel.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had same proplem and replaced my senders. I pulled outdrive and fished the wires. My clamp down nut was the only hard thing to get too. I dont know how you hit the proper angle for the bolt with the outdrive on but way to go I might either try your way next time or sell the boat, lol. Great advice!

Bondo

Staff member

rdm is correct, you can damage the u -joints by running with the outdrive trimmed to far out. my trim position sender was bad so I had no gauge to go by, just feel.

I see almost No Need for Either of them,......

I can tell if it's trimmed Too High by Feel,+ Sound,....

My "Seat of the Pants" gauge Never Fails...............;)

icdoo

Cadet

Turn outdrive to port and disconnect trim positon sender (TPS) and tape up to top of housing. Now put outdrive all the way down and to the starboard. You can now reach the bracket that holds the wires in place by running a socket extension between the bell housing and the gimbal ring, but you can't get a straight angle at the bolt. I used a 1/4 inch extension that I purchased at Lowes, part #10192, a Kobalt 6" wobble extension. With this I did not have to machine or grind down my 7/16 socket or extension. If you have a 1/4" universal, you could use it but you may have to grind (shorten) your socket to get it to fit. You could also machine a standard extension to make it thin enough that you could have a straight shot at the bolt and bracket (although-this approach might make it easier at the end). Remove the bolt and bracket and now you can pull the wires through ( that is after you attach string to the wires to fish the new ones)

I purchased a SNAP-ON wobbel extension, as we don't have LOWES in Toronto yet. I was not able to fit it any which way onto the bolt holding the bracket. Did you have to machine the shaft of the extension down to get it to fit between housing and ginbel ring? What about Perfect Seal did you apply it to the bolts? Will loctite work? Any input or pictures would be great.

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was told by local boat mechanic those harnesses weren't even available anymore, so I carefully cut out the old wires, replaced with new ones, sealed the rubber back up like crazy inside and out with weatherstrip adhesive and then bolted it all back up in there good and tight. Had I known they were still available before I messed with all of that I would have bought the real part. I agree, the bolts, especially the top one was a pain to get to. I bent a perfectly good 7/16 in a vice to make it reach in there. I tried using 1/4 ratchet with a flex socket and it was just too much of a pain. I was sitting there at the last, wondering if a stick of dynamite would get that bolt out, when I reached in there with my finger and noticed the bolt was really loose, loose enough to finish unscrewing with my fingers. Now I can save that stick of dynamite for something else.

aggiedave98

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my '88 Invader the "up" only worked with the trailer button. so I just used that. Once my shift cable went out, I replaced the trim sender/limit switches on the sterndrive and the bellows.

BUT regardless of that, I never knew it was bad to run it with the drive all the way up. In the driveway, starting it in the water, and pullling onto the trailer, I had it up for the 7 years I had the boat without ever having any ujoint problems.

My only point in mentioning is that while maybe not good for the boat, you don't need to be extremely worried if you did something non-ideal.

hope that helps.

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I stuck the open end head in the vice and beat right above where it was held in the vice with a hammer to about a 45 degree angle. Was able to finally get to that top bolt (the hard one to get to) this way. Putting it back on was also a snap.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You bent a wrench to get it to fit?

I have drawers full of "Special" wrenches, sockets, screwdrives, prybars, etc. made especially for working on and repairing marine engines and drives.
And that is for the stuff that the manufactures DO NOT have special tools made for.

icdoo

Cadet

I have drawers full of "Special" wrenches, sockets, screwdrives, prybars, etc. made especially for working on and repairing marine engines and drives.
And that is for the stuff that the manufactures DO NOT have special tools made for.

So what tool are you using to complete this job without removing anything other than the limit switches. Do you have a picture as I am going to make my own tools once I analyze everyone's ideas

tommays

Admiral

:confused: it really is NOT that hard to just pull the drive and bell housing :D to change them

Tommays

icdoo

Cadet

I tired today, I was able to remove the bottom bolt where the wires go through the hull, but not the top one. I could not get it out with any tool. I removed the hinge pin and pulled the drive down abit but still could not get at the bolt. What is the next step. I read the instructions but am still not too clear.

Don S

icdoo
Your best bet would be to start a new thread with your question. I see a couple of problems you are going to have. First of all, in 98, Mercruiser didn't use the 2.5L engine, only the 3.0L, second, you have an Alpha I GEN II drive. The transomshield, and drive are different from an Alpha I (Pre 91).
While it all sounds easy, for a newbe to Outdrive repairs, best to stick with the manual till you understand the processes and what is needed to do the job. In my opinion, many of these "EASY" fixes are harder to do and takes longer than doing it by the book.

icdoo

Cadet

Seems another problem I had was that my signature said 98 insted of 88. It is a 2.5l alpha one

gsarosy

Recruit

How do you jump the switches in the boat ? Will the trim switch now bring the drive up and down ?

Don S

Start a new thread with your questions gsarosy. Or your question will be buried at the end of a 2007 post and unseen in no time.

acerussi

Recruit

I was thrilled when I found this post at the idea of not having to remove the bell housing to change the sender and limit switches. I followed this post to the T and agree that it was effortless until it came time to put that bolt back in. I would say the whole task, minus the bolt, took an hour or so...it took me 2 + hours just to get that damn retaining bolt seated again. In hindsight, and the reason I am posting this, is to suggest that once you have the retaining clip up on the transom, that you push that piece in with the flat end of a crow bar or long screwdriver to make sure the grommets are seated as far in as possible in order to catch the bolt thread. I found that simply pulling them in from the engine compartment didn't exert enough pressure to fully seat them and hence kept the retaining clip a hair too far out to catch the thread. After pushing them in with the crowbar, I had the bolt in within 10 or so minutes. Hope that little tip helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.