same problem aagain

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class
well guys iam having the same problem again this season, <br /><br />when i first get to the boat it fire right up, no problem.<br /><br />drive about two miles, shut her down and start to fish for half an hour, starter spins real slow like the battery is dieing.<br /><br />last year we thought it was the carb. <br /><br />now a diffrent carb and the same thing, i change the madule that bolt to the risers, same thing.<br /><br />last year i drop my friend distributor in it same thing.<br /><br />she runs fine, just the starting thing.<br /><br />at 39000 rpm with a 17 prop i got 30 miles per with me only on board. did not want to push her wide out,<br /><br />i have a new iginition switch here ready to install, all battery cables are clean/new .<br /><br />last ??/could it be my starter. when gets hot it spins slowly??? batteries are new also. 1990 merc 5.7<br /><br />thanks for any info on this, <br /><br />ohh sopose i change out the fuel hose from metal to a ceritfy marine rubber gas hose and give it a try????? at least a try<br /><br />thanks again

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: same problem aagain

Don't change the metal fuel line to a rubber one!<br />First thing i would do is remove the starter and have it tested.<br />I have had them do the same thing when they get warm..

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you checked the brushes in you altenator? After the 1/2 hour of fishing, what does the volt meter read? If you have a good charge, it could be worn out starter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Before you take the starter off, measure the voltages while you are cranking.<br /><br />Attatch the ground of your meter to the battery negative post and measure the:<br /><br />1) battery voltage<br />2) voltage at the starter solenoid<br />3) voltage at the starter<br />4) voltage at the block<br /><br />By measuring #1 you establish a reference voltage and can then get the voltage drops for all the other points.<br /><br />By making these measurements, you can get connection problems out of the way.<br /><br /><br />It is possible that a starter will draw more current when it is hot. However, engines are usually easier to crank when they are warm too.<br /><br />Has this starter ever been submerged? If so, time for a new starter.

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok lots of info here guys thanks.<br /><br />well when i got the boat last year , the starter was so rusty, it would not turn so i took it to the starter guys to get it rebuilt.<br /><br />but ges what these guys never puts new brushes they only cleans them up, i happens to see it with my own eyes, i just pretend i did not see .<br /><br />you know what guys i will try all of the above , if no dice i just replace the starter. thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not sure if I would go out in a boat where I knew that the people that rebuilt my starter did not do a comlete and thorough job.<br /><br />Be glad you didn't end up in a bad situation.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bad battery, bad cables, loose cables, dirty connections, bad starter all cause problems like you are having. But balls of rust, even when cleaned up, do not work in boats. Replace any "Balls of Rust" you find and quit fighting the problem.

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea guys is after he rebuilt mines one day i was in the shop and saw the whole thing, any way, got that right don. the boat runs so nice why iam i messing around with that old starter. my cables are new so new starter will be going in this week..<br /><br />i will post the result.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Double check all your connections, too. Especially check the one at the block. Take it off, make sure the metal is clean and bolt it down tight.<br /><br />That is why I like making all the measurements. It can point to a weak link somewhere.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I bet you just have it timed to fast. Reduce the advance 4 to 6 degrees and see if it does not make a big difference. Do not go below below zero.

michael-lagrange

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont act like you didnt see it-- you paid for it, let it be known that you want a pro job done on your starter so i dont have to tow you back to the dock.

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the inputs guys. so what you saying boatis instead of timing at 8 gegree i must time it at 6 or 4 ???? if yes i will try that tonight, this is what i did today.<br /><br />please dont call me cheap, lol.<br /><br />the starter is the small ac delco tipe.<br /><br />my friend has one he bought a les than a year ago when put power to it, it sound rough, so he replace it, <br /><br />so i took it ,open both of them side by side and swap out the whole brushes ect to mines. put it in and one crank it start up .<br /><br />it crank twice better than before. took it for a short run come back to the dock shut it down and wait 30 min restart it crank real strong, and fire right up.<br /><br />but ges what i kinda notice the carb might have a slight dripping when shut down,<br /><br />will keep up to date tonight, after i set timing to about 6 degree, an take a good run.<br /><br />thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The timing is not going to make a difference starting if your starter is working properly. <br /><br />Time the engine based on your fuel octane, nothing else.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why change the timing if it's working?????????<br />You had a starter problem, not a timing problem.<br /><br />You fixed up another starter that may or may not work for more than a few trips, but it now works like you expected it to. Don't just change timing for no reason.

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh want to ask this a long time, my engine 1989 5.7L what is the right octane fuel to use in this boat, from i got it i only use 87 octane, what you think guys, using the wrong octane cause hidrolock??

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I seen a lot of boats and car timed to fast do exactly what bolo is doing. When cold start just fine and sounds normal. Hot sound like battery is on it last leg and hardly turns over. What happening is when hot and time too fast the plug fires and since the piston is not to TOP DEAD CENTER tries to turn backward fighting the starter. My 1980 OMC 3.0L engine will do this, my 57 Chevy did it and my 74 Blaser did it.<br /><br />Takes less than 5 minutes with a timing light and one wrench to find out and does not cost a thing.<br /><br />I think a lot of people read the timing marks wrong and when they adjust to what they think is 8 degrees BTDC it really 16 degrees.

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class

have to love this forum. boatis i think the timing was off a bit. the timing marker on mines is the one with the deep cut in that has the o i had it three notches before top dead center. i thing it sopose to be two notches from the o = 8degree let me know if iam right on this. <br /><br />well i have it dead on the tip of the second notch from zero now.<br /><br />did not get to give it a propper test, tonight just a little short ride.<br /><br />but when i got back i let it sits for a while. then try to start it, it start to go in the same stupid long crank so i stop.<br /><br />i came up with this idea last night so i decide now was the time to put it to the test, <br /><br />the black wire from the distributor that ground on the same stud with the module on the riser, i thought it might not getting the propper ground with the manifold stud.<br /><br />so i run a new ground from the negative side of the battery, and clamp it with the module and the distributor ground. ges what she fire right up and did not whine a bit. i shut it down again and wait for a while, man if it keeps startind like that. i will be very happy.<br /><br />so will a bad distributor/module cause my problem???<br /><br /><br />caunt wait to give it a good test run.

bolo789

Petty Officer 1st Class

i ment will a bad distributor/module grounds cause my simptom???

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I do not think a bad ground on distributor will cause your problem. It is either a bad starter, cable, solenoid causeing the starter to turn slow, or timed to fast causeing the engine to back when hot. If you Slowed the timing and it made no difference then go back to making sure the starter, cabels, solenoid, battery are all good.<br /><br />Another way to tell if it is fast timing is to just pull the High tension lead out of the top of the distributor when you have the problem. Ground to the block, make sure have no fumes. Try starter if it turns normal then it timing if still turns slow then it battery, cabels, connections, Solenoid, or starter.