1973 Merc 402 40HP Questions

dickenscpa

Cadet
I bought this boat about 3 mos ago and I have a few questions. I've been reading here and doing a lot of searching prior to registering.

First off - my motor starts fine, oil in LU looks fine, will idle all day long and sounds pretty good. Replaced impeller, although it seemed fine and get a good stream and no overheating. Replaced plugs, compression test came out fine, cleaned the carbs, new gas tank and fuel line/bulb. Whenever I'm in forward gear at partial or WOT, I have to count to about 10 and give the bulb a little squeeze. It doesn't go flat, but I've seen some posts about it staying hard. Mine by no means stays hard. The tank is properly vented while running BTW. From my searches, I'm guessing fuel pump. I haven't taken it apart yet cause my rebuild kit hasn't got here yet, but that's my last hope.

One other question - I have the stock 1973 Mercontrols on this boat. On the top is a soft button appropriately labeled "Choke" so I know that. The main tall lever is throttle/For&Rev. The smaller flat lever is my warm up lever. When going into forward gear this one does want to go with it, but my searches here have taught me how to fix that. Thank You! What I can't figure out is on the front of the control box is a round knob. It turns easily but whether running or not, when I turn it I detect no changes. I bought a manual, but can't find anything in there that describes this knob. Anyone out there know what this is?

Thank you all for all this good info past and present!

joeveebee

Cadet
Re: 1973 Merc 402 40HP Questions

I believe that "knob" is actually a rubber cap that when removed, gives you a place to plug in a tachometer.
I had the same question a few years ago about mine and someone told me that is was for this purpose.
j-

dickenscpa

Cadet
Re: 1973 Merc 402 40HP Questions

I believe that "knob" is actually a rubber cap that when removed, gives you a place to plug in a tachometer.
I had the same question a few years ago about mine and someone told me that is was for this purpose.
j-

Thank you so much. When I searched "knob" nothing remotely close to what I wanted came up LOL!