protecting your boat

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my boat is a 19 ft. cc seanymph. whenever im not fishing, i keep it in the garage under cover, but i notice when traveling around, all the beautiful newer boats just left outside to fill with rain, sleet or snow. anyone care to make a comment on this?

Homerr

Commander
Re: protecting your boat

Good One LadyFish!<br /><br />Yea, I see that all the time here too.<br />Makes you want to slap them upside the head.<br /><br />I keep thinking of the damage that will happen to those boats everytime I work on my project boat. It was a nice boat once, until the knuckle-head I bought it from left it out in the weather.<br /><br />His ignorance.. my gain.<br /><br />Maybe we should encourage those idiots that leave them out... Then we can get those nice fancy boats real cheap after they have rotted out and fix them (if you're willing)<br /><br />H.

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same gripe too when I drive by a boat without any protection over it. It's hard to believe that people cant even spend $20 on a cheap tarp when they own a $15-20K new boat. Blows my mind when I see a boat drowning during a rain storm...in the front yard!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'v asked owners of such boats why they do not cover it heres some of the answers<br /> "I can't be bothered with the hassle"<br /> "They want 150 bucks for a canvas cover" <br /> and my favorite " Its a Boat ..its made to get wet" <br /> IMO its a hassle to replace floors stringer and vinyl, It will cost alot more than a 150 bucks to fix floors stringers and seats, Boats are made to get wet on the outside.....

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fished this small tourney a few weeks back, admired the top boats, then watched a guy with a high end ranger drive that baby up on ground "sand and small rocks" at the weigh-in area "ouch" he didn't have a care in the world. When he left he just powered off the shore. What a sight to see as that 225 opti being hammered to get him off. Must be nice to have that kind of $$$ and little regard to what you have.<br /><br />JK

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just bought a boat a boat from a guy who claimed he did'nt know you had to witerize it.He bought it 3 years ago and had to replace the engine after his first season.Thank god for people with more money than brains. I bought the boat with less than 60hrs on the new engine.They also replaced risers and boot when the engine was out.I paid market value for the boat, but think I got a deal considering all the work recently done. That was one scarry bill he showed me!!<br /><br /> Jim

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I don't know how you guys feel, but I feel my boat is an expression of me. When tied at a slip the lines are new and are crossed, canvas up and in good condition, lines coiled. On the trailer it is straight, wiped down after each use with a towel, with a cover specific for trailering and storage, and the bow is always high to facilitate drainage.<br /><br />Equipment is the best I can afford and it ALL works. Maintainance exceeds factory spec's.<br /><br />How you handle your vessel not only impacts how you are viewed but inspires the young. Watched a guy in an old 36 Chris Craft putsy in during a rain storm while others raced in, show up at his slip and back it in with no hands on the wheel, stopping it dead center in a 25 knot crosswind. Thats impressive.

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

whew, glad to see its just not me that feels that way then. thought maybe i was being too fussy.thanks for the replys.....bob

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

These are the same people that will be bashin' on their boat brand in six or eight years because of the "cheap upholstery" or "bad stringer design" when it rots out. I think LadyFish hit the nail on the head!

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What gets me the most is those idiots that back the trailer on the boat ramp, pull out their boat out of the water, and then STOP in the middle of the ramp to pop the transom plug and to clean it while the rest of us are sitting in our trucks waiting to back our trailers up. Really common with jet skiers.

quadzilla

Cadet

Some advice in this area would be great.<br /><br />Along these lines, I've got a problem.<br />My new boat is ever so slightly too big to fit<br />in my garage. (I'm going to try and move some<br />things around to make it fit - but it will be <br />tight no matter what). So I need a nice cover<br />until things get cleaned up, plus I want to keep<br />it protected when we are on our vacation trips<br />away from home this summer.<br /><br />The boat can be seen here: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008961 <br /><br />I did some searching on covers and found a<br />following for Attwood's Dura/Vent line. They<br />seem reasonable priced and of good quality.<br />Other brands you would suggest? Care to help<br />with advice on the proper fit for my roughly 96"<br />beam on this boat?<br /><br />http://www.attwoodmarine.com/Products/products.asp?category=13&gtype=1&subtype=1&path=boatcovers&categoryname=Boat+Covers%2C+Bimini+Tops+and+Acc%2E&typename=Boat+Cover&headername=B oat+Covers%2C+Bimini+Tops+and+Acc%2E<br /><br />Sound like it would be a good idea to get one of<br />the pole/strap/stand devices that holds the<br />cover up off the boat. Do they last?<br /><br /><br />Any and all ideas are appreciated. I don't want<br />to be the guy who prematurely kills his boat.<br /><br />:)

WHITEBOYY32

Seaman Apprentice

some people have money to burn, literally !!!! if someone jumps off a bridge you dont follow them do ya? your keeping your boat inside right where it needs to be. also some of these people might not have a closed area to store their boat in, but i know where ur coming from, i see this all the time too. who cares though its their problem, right?

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your right paul, it is their problem allright, and they can certainly do as they please with their own boat. just hard to picture a new boat sitting outside without a cover to protect it a bit. kind of like putting a 100.00 saddle on a 10.00 horse.oh well, to each his own i guess.....bob