Boating stories from this weekend - share yours

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boating stories from this weekend - share yours

I wouldn't get too worked up 2broke . . . I have been boating for over 30 years, and have owned my own boats for almost 25. I just put together a 14 foot Aluminum in October with a 5 horse OB, smallest power boat I have ever been on or owned, and I launched it the next day . . . Fever is fever. IMHO a guy that can wait shouldn't buy one in the first place . . . :)

studlymandingo

Commander

I wouldn't get too worked up 2broke . . . I have been boating for over 30 years, and have owned my own boats for almost 25. I just put together a 14 foot Aluminum in October with a 5 horse OB, smallest power boat I have ever been on or owned, and I launched it the next day . . . Fever is fever. IMHO a guy that can wait shouldn't buy one in the first place . . . :)

Amen Brother Q!!!​

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have a good Memorial Day weekend story, but I do have a good pic taken with my camera phone at Lake Pleasant in AZ. At least the boat still has the cover on to protect it from the elements.

SunkBoat.jpg

wickedcool16

Cadet

My comment was not directed specifically at anyone, but at the general boating public. Yes I too work all week more hours than I care to think about. But I am or rather was considerate and conscientious enough to plan ahead when I got my new used boat. I make sure even now that when I go boating, I don’t delay YOU when want to go out. I make sure that before I get to the ramp, my boat is prepped and ready to go so all I have to do is have who ever is with me back me down the ramp and I am in the water in less than 5 mins. Once I am in the water I clear the loading dock and the ramp and give room to my fellow boaters so they can launch in a timely manner and not have to wait for me to clear the area. I then stand off from the dock about 100 yards so there is room at the dock, while I wait to pick up at the dock who ever drove the truck. I don’t leave my boat tied to the dock with my drunk buddies or wife and kids sitting there eating up room while I go park and or retrieve the truck, because I took the time to train them how to drive the truck and trailer before hand on a less busy day. I don’t wait until I get to the ramp on the weekends or busiest days of the year to take the boat out for the first time. I check it well in advance so I don’t delay anyone else. It really chaps my butt at the lack of consideration of other people.

I am sure I am not the only one who has had the things happen to them. Maybe I am the one being over sensitive, but I just think that if more boaters were considerate and planned ahead. It would prevent a lot of the problems at the boat ramps that we see as well as shorten or wait time to get out and enjoy our boats.

Ok, sorry getting off my soap box now...
This message is not to offend anyone, just inform....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

One thing that annoys me is people who "fog" their motors for winter storage, then the first time they start it in the spring is when they launch it.

If you are not familiar with starting a fogged motor, it spews enormous amounts of white oil smoke for up to 10 minutes or more. Eveyone is subject to the mess and stink. The motor also runs crappy due to the plugs being all oil fouled. And a thick gooo comes out the exhaust ports making a huge oil slick on the water. So lots of starting, restarting and starting some more. Often these people are so intent on getting the motor up and running, they forget to move their trailer off the ramp unless you ask them to.

I believe if you fog your motor, start it at home first and run the oil out of it before dragging it down to the dock. I fog my own motor, and I make sure its up and running in my driveway before I drag it to the dock.

And anyone who starts their boat at the dock for the first time in the season has a screw loose.

studlymandingo

Commander

I start mine in the driveway EVERY time I take her out. Eliminates some potential surprises at the ramp, and it starts with just a bump of the key when I'm in the water.​

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

I start mine in the driveway EVERY time I take her out. Eliminates some potential surprises at the ramp, and it starts with just a bump of the key when I'm in the water.​

And then you get jealous looks from other boaters because your boat starts so easily :D

Well, at least I do... ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree with the stud man, Mark and the Wicked one . . . all good. It just sounded like you were attacking the excitement that leads guys to the ramp on busy days. The reason these days are busy is that with work schedules and kid schedules you either go or don't use your boat much.

I have repeated this a couple of times, but when I bought our first boat the wife and I went to a busy launch ramp WITHOUT the boat . . . One of the best things I ever did. It was pretty easy to figure out who to learn lessons from; good ones and bad ones. What an eye opener :eek: These days we are off the ramp so fast I don't even know what all goes on there anymore. When it is time to go home etc., I will not wait in line at a ramp. I'll get a slip and come back and get her in the dark or the wee hours before I'll wait in line to retrieve . . .

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I went out on Sunday.............fishing.

Was suprised at the amount of boats out.........maybe the gas prices are keeping people at the dock.

My son caught 5 stippers............I didn't catch any!!!

Was a good time............

DarkeMaster

Seaman

I spent the weekend picking up my stripped down classic 1960 Mariah I just bought off Craigslist and working on it in the driveway. Adding (rebuilding) an old 1975 Chrysler 55HP motor, cleaning and scrubbing and dreaming about fishing off the coast. The weather here in California was beautiful this weekend and I just kept wishing I was on the water with a pole in my hand instead.

I found that I kept gravitating over to the helm (that has no controls, no seat and no instruments) visualizing all the sweet gear I am installing to make this little beauty seaworthy again. (sigh).

iboatPic.jpg

I am not one for speed. I don't drink EVER and I just love the ocean and the calm and adventure it provides (and let us not forget about the BIG fish). So this little baby will never be a speed demon, but she should reliably get me where I need to go (and back !!!). Just a few more weekends from now I'll be posting about my maiden voyage (I am not in a hurry though and will be taking every safety precaution EVERY trip).....I just hope my maiden voyage in my new (old) beauty is not fraught with all the same dismal and life threatening stuff I am reading about here...I certainly do not expect every trip to be perfect, but some of these stories about this last weekend are almost enough to scare a newby away from boating forever. I hope I see some good ones soon or I might be too discouraged to go out !!

This will be my first ocean boat (for fishing), I have a relatively new, low hour Searay openbow for lake and skiing (my Wife' boat, :rolleyes:...). She won't let me take it anywhere near saltwater..So I am building this one for me. I just can't wait to try this new (old) boat out for the first time (however, I'll be doing that in the local Delta) where it is not too crowded and the water is calm and help is close by.

So thanks for scaring the holy bejeezus out of me guys :)... I will be looking for some encouragement and some positive adventure stories over the next few days (that do not include drunks, danger and dismemberment) so I don't get so freaked out that I have to sell all of my boats and stay a knockkneed, freaked out, landlubber forever.

I already have several friends who refuse any future offers to go fishing. They keep trying to discourage me from going out on the ocean with scary stories, warnings and cautious tales...One friend says he is from the Jaws generation and refuses to go anywhere near the ocean and I should be too...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey Darkemaster!

That is one cool cuddy cabin. Love those old styles. How big is it? 17ft? 18ft?

Looks like you have a little work to do... polish gel coat, new windshield, etc. Click on the links below in my signature and you may find some things that might help you out with the gel coat and windshield in the project link.

Best of luck restoring that old girl.

Mark

Drrockter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat sits in the driveway on Memorial Weekend to avoid all the "fun", both on the water and the highway. I usually go out the following weekend and have the lake all to my self.

QFT this was me. I took mine out the weekend before. Noone around. Good times.

studlymandingo

Commander

So thanks for scaring the holy bejeezus out of me guys :)... I will be looking for some encouragement and some positive adventure stories over the next few days (that do not include drunks, danger and dismemberment) so I don't get so freaked out that I have to sell all of my boats and stay a knockkneed, freaked out, landlubber forever.

I already have several friends who refuse any future offers to go fishing. They keep trying to discourage me from going out on the ocean with scary stories, warnings and cautious tales...One friend says he is from the Jaws generation and refuses to go anywhere near the ocean and I should be too...

Don't sweat it too much bro, as with anything else, the bad seems to get repeated much more than the good. I personally had a great time on Memorial Day, loaded up a few friends and the dog and went for a cruise into the Gulf of Mexico. We stopped at several islands and played ball with the Golden Retriever (Grady), fished a couple of hot spots and got some dinner, then watched the sunset over the Gulf. Came home later and washed her off, out, and flushed the motor. Went to bed with a full belly and a smile on my face.​

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On Memorial Day weekend I promised myself that I would do no work on the "vacation" house. I dragged the boys up and down the creek with their wakeboards and my wife with her skis.

Towards mid afternoon the traffic got too bad for horseing around and I went on a wildlife cruise. Otters, eagles, herons and such didn't disappoint.

The new hydraulic steering--while not as quick a ratio--seems to work well.

Now I back at the cottage for the weekend, back to drywall.

Siding needs to be done but the deerflies are fierce and I fear them.

Jinx

craig240DA

Seaman

We were out for 2 hours this last weekend and being brand new boaters we were amazed we heard 3 Coast Guard channel 16 calls go out in such a short amount of time.

We are just North of Tampa near Anclote Island. The first call was a boat adrift at the Dunedin causeway with someone reported in the water. It was too far for us to help but interesting to hear all the chatter. Then a few minutes later we heard someone on 16 reporting a fight on the Sandbar right in front of us just North of Anclote. We got to see the responding Pinellas County Sheriff Boats go right by us at top speed with lights and sirens. On our way back in we heard the last call, a flipped pontoon boat at Durney Key with people in the water.

Very active 2 hours!

DarkeMaster

Seaman

Hey Studlyman,

Thanks for the story. wish I coulda been with ya. I love the Gulf of Mexico, I just recently got back from Belize and the BVI. Next time you go, get me one of those sunsets....

Mark,

Man after my own heart. I love the old styles too. When I saw her I instantly fell in love with her. She is 17ft (but 17ft of style). Funny you should provide those links of yours. I did a Google search and found your stuff by chance. I did not know you were on this board. Needless to say, the links are in my favorites. I may have some questions for you later....

And yes there is still a lot to do..Tashasdaddy hooked me up with an eBay auction for a new set of controls for my 1975 Chrysler 55HP that I put on her. I found some seats on Craigslist (Captain & Helm) that I am putting in her and just added a new wiring harness I made this week and some electronics. I still have to order steering but I hope to take her out (in rough shape) to see how she rides in a couple more weeks when I get her mechanically sound.

Another thing, anyone seen one of these boats before? I was told by the guy who sold it to me that it is a 1960 Mariah. I talked to Stewart over at Seafox (the company that bought Mariah when it went bankrupt) and he told me that the company (Mariah) only made boats from 1989 to 2002. Somehow that does not seem right to me, but I guess he would know. I do believe it is a 1960, but a 1960 what? The Mariah on the side may just be a name somebody gave her. There is no tag or ID of any kind anywhere on her..So I am stumped. It has CF numbers so I hope California DMV will enlighten me when I get the title back.

Thanks everybody for all the great input and encouragement. When I get her done I look forward to seeing some of you on the water.. maybe we can all swap boat pics and lie to each other about our great boating adventures...Just remember I don't believe any fish story without a picture and at least two cooberating witnesses..

craig240DA

Seaman

Hey Mark42

just read your project, really a sweet boat! Thanks for writing it up. Enjoy!

DarkeMaster

Seaman

Mark42,

Great project. I love that MFG of yours. She looks awesome now. I don;t think I have enough gelcoat left to do what you did though. I am definitely replacing the windshield using your project as a reference..I'll let you know the results. Where did you get the material you used for your canvas?