'85 OMC 3.0L/Stringer Jumps in/out of gear

OMCman

Recruit
Hi, This is my first time on this BB and you seem to know what you are talking about. I was wondering if you know if this WWW.funkopolis site is still in existance? Many people seem to reference it and I have ESA and distributor problems with my '85 OMC 3.0L/Stringer and need to find shift cable/switch adj. diagrams and instructions and info on converting to elect. ignition using ESA. My main problem is that the drive seems to jump in and out of gear at any RPMs above 2000. Very random, mainly under load and about every 100 yards or so. My Seloc service manual does not address these items. I would appreciate any guidance... Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '85 OMC 3.0L/Stringer Jumps in/out of gear

You have a dog type clutch used for shifting. Rather it's OMC, Cobra or Stringer, or Merc Alpha, when they jump out of gear that often, the gear and the clutch dogs are rounded and need replaced. Then you have to locate why they rounded. Shift cables out of adjustment, corrosion, whatever, so it doesn't happen again.<br />The funkopolis site is his old URL, his new one is below, but it is dedicated to the Cobra drives and nothing there about the stringers.<br /><br /> http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/index.html

KaGee

Admiral

Here's how to properly adjust the shift cable for your Stringer. Do it either in the water or in the drive with muffs.<br /><br />Go to the shift adapter box and disengage the cable coming from the helm. Start the engine and let it idle down. Idle should be around 650 RPMs. <br /><br />Now to check the cable adjustment...<br /><br />After the motor is properly idling, manually push the lever on the shift adapter assembly left. Very slowly, Listen for the forward gear to begin to engage. Stop! With a marker or pencil, mark the dial at the top of the lever. Now pull it down and do the same thing going into reverse gear. Mark the dial above the lever. You can shut off the engine now.<br /><br />Now look at the two marks on the dial and split the distance between the two, using the dial gauge as a reference. Place a mark on the dial at that center point. Push the lever to that center mark. Now place the cable back on the shift lever. Making sure your throttle is in neutral, check the alignment of the shift lever. <br /><br />If necessary, use the cable adjustment collar located at the shift adapter box to align the shift lever to the center mark you made.<br /><br />That adjusts the shift cable properly for neutral balance, just in case it's out of alignment.<br /><br />If the engine is idled up too high (over 700) then that could be the cause of your gear failure. That is one of, if not the biggest causes of premature clutch dog / gear failure in Stringers and Cobra drives.

OMCman

Recruit

Thanks guys. Do you think what I am calling a jumping in/out of gear (a slamming that shakes the whole boat)could be a Cavitation or prop hub slip? Or engine miss fire? Or do you think it is definitely lower gear failure? Remember it is only happening when up on plane at high RMP/speed. It does not do it comming out of the hole. Thanks for any additional thoughts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Slipping does not go bang.....<br />Your problem sounds like it's jumping in and out of gear to me. And of course it does it when on plane, that is when the most pressure is on the gears. You could also have a high speed miss that kind of makes it happen, but a slip or a miss doesn't shake the boat.

OMCman

Recruit

Thanks Guys...<br />Don, I guess we are narrowing things down to bad lower unit gears/clutch dogs? Still, any chance we could be looking at a bad or mis-adjusted (transom) shift cable? Lower unit oil pressure? Is it true that my '85 Stringer 400 uses oil pressure to assist the clutches engage? Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I hope to get the beast in the water in the next 2 weeks. Obviously I am trying not to think about the $1,000+ cost of rebuilding the lower unit. Yikes!

whywhyzed

Banned

Originally posted by OMCman:<br /> Is it true that my '85 Stringer 400 uses oil pressure to assist the clutches engage?
No, that system ended in 1981 - your 1985 is full mechanical shift.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by OMCman:<br /> Thanks Guys...<br />Still, any chance we could be looking at a bad or mis-adjusted (transom) shift cable?
How will you know unless you check it out??<br />
<br /> Lower unit oil pressure? Is it true that my '85 Stringer 400 uses oil pressure to assist the clutches engage?
No, '80 or '81 was the last year for hydraulic assist. Your's is a straight mechanical shift.<br /><br />We,ve already explained things above. Check your oil for shavings. Once the clutch dog teeth wear there is no return. To keep running your boat under these circumstances can only lead to worse and more costly troubles.