Newbie bowrider advice

jonw9

Cadet
I am looking into purchasing my first boat. I am thinking in the range of 18'. I will be my wife and I most of the time, with the occasional friends and family.

I am looking for something affordable, since I don't want to break the bank, and because next year I will want a bigger one! ;)

I was originally think Bayliner as an affordable option (17.5). It seems like a bare bones craft, no power steering, or trailer brakes.

I was also routed Glastron and Stingray boats. These seem like a step up in quality/options, with-out a huge leap in price. I would like to keep the cost as far south of $15 as possible ( not including tax and such)

We considered a jet boat (Sea-Doo) but the price seems higher for a 15' boat.

Also, there is a guy a work selling a 1998 Crownline 19' with a bunch of canvas options for $10k. It has 290 hours on it. I know hours can be deceiving, but I don't know what can be considered high hours, and what the typical "life-span" is. I was looking for a little insight besides "depends on the owner"

So I guess my questions is, if you were in my situation, with minimal knowledge to boat mechanics specifically, but handle following internet instructions, have about $15k to spend, what would you do?

Thanks for any responses, I hope to be hanging around more soon!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie bowrider advice

If you go used with that same money you could still get a really really nice boat and be able afford one with a nice V6 engine instead of the 3.0 4 cyl that's going to come on most sub $15k new boats.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the mid 80's thru late 90's bayliner, & glasstrons, have had a lot of rot problems. your obviously looking for inboard/outboard, (but, for service cost, i prefer outboards) a jet losses 30-40% of horsepower in the conversion from drive train to jet pump. 200hp engine, gives the equivilent of a 140 hp prop driven. the stringray, crown line, chaperell are all good boats. 5.0 or larger mercruiser or volvo. find out the last time the outdrive has been serviced (annually) bellows replaced, exhaust manifolds.

if you can search for a non-wood hull, there are now mfgrs, that are using total fiberglass boats, without the rot problem. snap in carpet. in my opinion carpet does not belong in a boat.

i have a 23' Chris Craft deckboat, 5.7 volvo. that we use for a family boat. it's total glass, came with the carpet, which has never been installed.

Attachments

• 9f_3.jpg
    9f_3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

290 hours on the Crownline is not that bad.As long as it was serviced properly that may be a good deal. What engine and drive does it have?

jonw9

Cadet

It just says 4.3L, and it includes a bimini and cover.

jonw9

Cadet

If you go used with that same money you could still get a really really nice boat and be able afford one with a nice V6 engine instead of the 3.0 4 cyl that's going to come on most sub $15k new boats.

I am not opposed to used, but I was uncertain about things like warranty and such. I figured new would be the "safer" route for me, as I said, I don't really have a lot of boat maintenance experience.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

For your first boat used is the way to go. Also you stated you would upgrade in a year or so.A new boat drops in value by thousands as soon as you pull off the lot.
The 4.3 will be WAY better than any 3.0 in the new boat.Big jump in power.
Check the Crownline over good,the Bimini tops and canvas are a good plus also.You will need those on hot sunny days..

tashasdaddy

on the 4.3, one thing to avoid, if it has the exhaust manifolds, like in the following pictures, run the other way FAST. they are no longer made, and left a lot of people from 1996 thru 2001, hung out to dry, they have finally come up with a kit to replace them but is extremely expensive.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=188571

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, there are a TON of boats in that size available that fall somewhere between new and 9 years old! Why not find some a few years old to look at? Maybe a 9 yr. old boat has too many ??? for you. A like new 3 or 4 yr. old 18' bowrider may get you a 4.3 engine and still save some $$$ over new! That's the route I'd go. Don't underestimate the importance of having enough power for the boat type you buy!

Remember, it's not a car....at 3-4 yrs. old the engine is just barely broken in! A well-maintained 4 yr old boat is often very hard to distinguish from new. Save a few thousand $$$ of early depreciation, then if you upgrade in a few years it will have cost very little as the resale value will not have dropped very much.

I did like the Glastrons at a recent boat show for a fairly low-priced boat. i don't know how many years back they were similar though. Stingray also seems OK if you want a faster hull that may not handle the chop as well.

Figure on a few hundred $$$ for any canvas you will need, so if it's already existing you save that money. Don't overpay for used, it's a buyers market most places right now and for what you are looking for there are plenty of sellers. Get a one or two month warranty as part of the deal if you can. This way you avoid the big mistake. If they won't agree to one, that tells you something right there.

Good luck.

cbavier

Lieutenant

If you buy used, have it surveyed by a licensed surveyer. You hire your surveyer not the seller at your cost. He will point out any problems or potential problems. After the survey is completed MAKE SURE you take it out on the water for a Sea Trial. Run it for an hour and then decide. Bayliners are made cheap and they sell cheap but they make a good entry level boat, or a good boat especially for first timers.

As already pointed out you want the 4.3 not the 3.0 and you definatly do want power steering and an Automatic Bilge Pump with two batteries. Full
gages with an hour meter and TRIM INDICATOR!

Bimini Top is nice and you will need Bow & Cockpit covers or Mooring Cover. A private Porta Potty is also a nice add on especially if you have children or ladies on board or you may be making several trips back to shore.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

So long as you are shopping used, then no need to limit yourself to the inexpensive brands. Crownline is very, very nice. Also look around for Bryant, Caravelle, Chaparral, Ebbtide, and Monterey. Condition of the particular boat offered will be more important than the brand.

Kelly Cook

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

If this is your first boat iw oudl also recommend a used boat. Especially if your going to go up to a biger boat in a few years. Likely you can break even with the purchase of a 5-10 year old boat if you sell it within a few years.
A new boat and forget about comming close to breaking even.
If your nevous about speed a 3.0 mercruiser is certainly fast enough, where as a similar boat with a v6 or v8 may be too much for you to get used to.
I find my 17.5 foot glastron with a 3.0 140hp mercuiser does around 45mph with a 17pitch prop. thats fast enough for a bowrider. imo

cbavier

Lieutenant

Jedimaster I agree with you wholeheartedly about the speed. It seems everyone wants to go faster and faster. My little Four Winns Horizon 190 .....V-6 185 Hp will run 38 MPH WOT at 4800RPM . That's plenty fast enough for me...for us.... even with four adults on board.
I usually get up on plane and then I retard the throttle to about 3/4 and just set back and cruise at about 27 or 28 mph. If I'm in a hurry, that is. Otherwise we just putt. It's better on the gas too, and the engine, if it's not being pushed to the limit all the time.

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not afraid to open it up WOT but I am very cautious 38 MPH on a lake seems like doing 80 in a car. I cannot imagine running on any inland lake 65 MPH...NO WAY! My car says it'll do 120 MPH but It never will see it with me driving it.

WE Boat on two of the largest inland lakes in Mich. One is 5100 acres and the largest is 20 almost 21,000 Acres.

jonw9

Cadet

I didn't say I would need to upgrade, I just know the upgrade bug will probably bite!

I didn't know too much about used boats. I started looking at used boats, and then I saw certain new models were the same price. I just felt that I would be more secure buying a new boat then a used one. I don't know what bellows are, or what to look for when shopping used.

I used the Crownline (actually 19') as an example because I walk by the flyer all the time at work, and the brand seemed highly rated. I may talk to the owner next week when I get some free time. The price listed is $10k or BO, so maybe he will come down, as NADA ranges from $8-9k not accounting for hours. Then I can look into the "bat wings" as well.

I will have to see what the motor on the boat we used last year was. I know it was an OMC cobra in a Four Winns, but I don't know the HP, that seemed pretty sufficient power.

I guess some other info may help.
I don't know how much bigger I would go. It will be trailered to the lakes on the weekends, since I don't have a place on the lake at this time. Mostly cruising with some tubing/kneeboarding thrown in. I am in MI, so it will be mostly inland fresh-water lakes. (I may consider the "Great" ones, if conditions are good.

I really appreciate all the responses, you really make a new member feel welcome.

EDIT: Cbavier, you are on Torch? I love it up there. My aunt has a place up there, so we would drop in there on occasion. I spent a week up there on Cedar lake (near Traverse City) last summer, that is where we caught the boat bug!

cbavier

Lieutenant

jonW9 where in Michigan are you? We are in Roscommon. Five miles east of North Higgins State park.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Crownline is a really nice boat. If it has a Volvo or Merc drive thats good.
If it says OMC or Cobra....Not good!!

jonw9

Cadet

Crownline is a really nice boat. If it has a Volvo or Merc drive thats good.
If it says OMC or Cobra....Not good!!

That is what I gathered, Crownline is kinda like a Caddy, Bayliner is kinda like a Kia.

I will talk to the guy at work and see if I can find more info. Does anybody know on Crownlines does the hour meter run on the key or the engine? Even though hour meters on tell how many hours are on the meter.

How many hours on a Merc. (w/o batwings) or a Volvo before major engine service is needed?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

See if you can get some pics of it to post.
We all love pics..:D :D

Some engines can go up into the thousands of hours if taken care of..

tashasdaddy

where you live the outdrive needs to be service every fall, freeze prevention, and the engine needs to be winterized, we don't worry with this in FLA. that's why i prefer outboards, much less maintainance, and owner service. the Bellows are the rubber boots around the drive shaft from engine to outdrive, shift cables etc. they keep you from sinking. imagine a rubber hose makes the boat float. these have to be inspected, for wear cracks, etc. the major maintainance is usually 4 to 6 years. stay away from the OMC outdrives as parts are not being made anymore. I've had a mercruiser, never again, thats why we now have the volvo.