14 ft lowell

Status
Not open for further replies.

howden

Cadet
anyone know what the passenger/weight limit rating is for a 14ft aluminum boat. it currently has a 6hp on it but i'm wondering if it could handle a bigger motor, thanks geoff

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 14 ft lowell

Lowell or Lowe? (Lowe is a mainstream manufacturer, but there are hundreds if not thousands.) There should be a capacity tag on the boat someplace. Too many variables to say. Cartopper models usually have smaller capacities than more deluxe models. Cartoppers frequently don't have bilge drains. Also, boats with 20" transoms usually have larger capacities than those with 15" transoms.

Generally speaking that 6 will be OK on any 14 footer, three adults. I would think 20Hp would be minimum max on even the lightest fourteeen.

This might be moved down to "Boat Topics and Questions".

howden

Cadet

just looked, it is a Lowell, and it has a 15 inch transom, how can one tell if it is a cartopper or not. The bilge drain seems to be normal size. Could not find a coast guard capacity tag.thanks geoff

CATransplant

Admiral

anyone know what the passenger/weight limit rating is for a 14ft aluminum boat. it currently has a 6hp on it but i'm wondering if it could handle a bigger motor, thanks geoff

Hi. I know of a Lowell company that built aluminum boats in the early 60's in Spokane, WA.

What's the beam (width) of this boat, and what is the hull shape? It's probably before the time boats had to have plates telling you what the max hp was.

If it's the typical semi-V hull, around 60" wide or so, it's probably good for about 25 hp. If it's a rounded hull, like the old Alumacrafts, it's probably right for about 15 hp.

If it's narrower than 60", then the hp goes down.

I once had an older Lund 14' boat that was actually rated for 50hp, but it had a beam of 72" and was very deep, with a full 20" transom.

One other question? Is the transom cut away for the 15" engine height, or is the transom just straight across?

howden

Cadet

hi- the width is 60 inches, it is a v-hull, and the transom is cut away to measure 15 inches.thanks

CATransplant

Admiral

hi- the width is 60 inches, it is a v-hull, and the transom is cut away to measure 15 inches.thanks

OK. So it's a deep v-hull, based on the cut away transom. I don't know for sure what the rated hp is, but you'll be safe with a 25 hp motor on it or even a 35.

As for the capacity, you'll be hard-pressed to put more than three people in that boat, so I'd consider that the capacity, or maybe 4 if a couple of them are kids. A deep-V hull like that won't have any problem with three.

It was probably made in the early 60's, since that's the only period where I can find a Lowell company making tinnies. That means that 25 and 35 hp motors were pretty common, and bigger ones were less popular.

A 25 will plane that boat right out and probably run at between 25-30 mph at full throttle. It will also slow down enough to troll with that boat. I'd think that would be the ideal outboard for your nice old aluminum boat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boat Forum

James Greasley

Recruit

Hi. I know of a Lowell company that built aluminum boats in the early 60's in Spokane, WA.

What's the beam (width) of this boat, and what is the hull shape? It's probably before the time boats had to have plates telling you what the max hp was.

If it's the typical semi-V hull, around 60" wide or so, it's probably good for about 25 hp. If it's a rounded hull, like the old Alumacrafts, it's probably right for about 15 hp.

If it's narrower than 60", then the hp goes down.

I once had an older Lund 14' boat that was actually rated for 50hp, but it had a beam of 72" and was very deep, with a full 20" transom.

One other question? Is the transom cut away for the 15" engine height, or is the transom just straight across?

I have one of Lowell Aluminum Boat it's a 12 ft one. Does any one know the value of the boat? It is very good shape.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

$100-600 just for the hull. in my area. 12 ' is a small boat, basically for small lakes, 2 people.

I have just purchased a Lowell Boat 16 ft with a johnson 48 spl driving it. Am cleaning it up now.... Title was lost and had to recreate some info... think was around 1962?

Raymonde Boatman

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.