Carb Replacement- Edelbrock- I did it!

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I am currently so frustrated with my boat that I am considering replacing the carb. <br /><br />The engine is a '92 MCM 350 Magnum with a Weber carb.<br /><br />I can't get past ~3200 RPM before it starts to bog. At least that what I think you would call it. I was just out on it and while my son was driving the boat I was looking down the carb. When the bog started it appeared that fuel was starting to come out in the secondaries just under the circle, not in the middle. Forgive my poor description. <br /><br />I have rebuilt the carb and cleaned it thoughly.<br />I have checked the fuel system by bypassing the tank and water separater with an outboard tank, checked for proper fuel pump pressure, replaced the plugs, cap, wire and rotor. I even tried an ignition module a friend let me borrow.<br /><br />Now I am considering replacing the carb.<br />I just read another post about an Edelbrock carb. I think they are very similar to the Weber. What about my manifold? <br /><br />I am looking for any input on this matter. I don't know what to do next!

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Re: Carb Replacement- Edelbrock- I did it!

More info: when I go to open WOT it didn't appear that there was enough vacum or air flow to open the air valves........just another thought.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Do the Edelbrock marine carbs come w/o the electric choke?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I don't want the electric choke............

ziggy

Admiral

FBT, here's my 2 cents again. keep it oem. i'm sure ya can make the new edlebrook run just great, but,,,,, yer already haveing the blues over gettin it to run right now. changeing to a new aftermarket carb that may, or may not be set up to yer system seems to me, to possibly just be adding to the problem. might fix it too, i don't know. engine mfg. set there engines to run as a complete system. so any aftermarket parts may not interface proper w/o fine tuneing it. rejeting, adj. etc. ya understand what i'm sayin here i hope. <br />i will say i've replaced a carb on a car once. was the best thing i ever spent money on for that car. made it run great. used a new oem datsun carb on a datsun. on that old carb i had the bottom of the venturis being eatin up by the throttle plates. so i knew what was wrong. if you must replace it go oem. just my opinion. <br />as for the weber carb. i know nothing about it. never seen one. but i would think the plates that are vac. controled over the secondarys needs to open prior to the sec. throttle plates. otherwise the sec. are choked off by that plate. i had a qjet that had themz plates at the top opening at the wrong time. i had a bog, and opening that plate sooner got rid of it. hang in there man, ya'll find yer blues. it's there somewhere. <br />ps, sorry, i'm a oem man. i just want my stuff to run the best it can and last as long as possible, and oem seems to do that for me. generally...........

FreeBeeTony

Captain

any more thoughts on the edelbrock carb?

RomanRegal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes,<br />I bought and installed the Edlebrock 600cfm on my 1987 Mercruiser 350 last year. Too much trouble with the Q-jet. This carb has performed wonderfully last year and this year. It was one of the best purchase I made.<br />Roman

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Edelbrock carb is a WFB Weber as used by Merc. It just has an Edelbrock name plate rivited on the front. I have one on my boat and it is easy to tune and performs well. It came jetted a little lean on the primary circuit and a little rich on the secondaries. I will have to re-jet now as it is a little lean on the secondaries with my new SBC 400 engine. I think you could probably rebuild yours fine as any wear should only effect the idle or off idle quality and not part throttle to WOT. A proper rebuild is a good soak in carb cleaner to remove varnish from internal passages. A small bucket of carb cleaner to soak it in is available at most parts houses. It always pays to have a book on re-building anything you are not intimately famillar with.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Roman, did you use the stock manifold? Did you get the 1409 with or without the electric choke?<br /><br />Oldseddie, I rebuilt the carb......took it apart twice.....cleaned it twice........don't know what else to do but replace it! Do you know of a book on carb rebuilding?

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FreeBeeTony,<br />my exp. with the edel. 1409 has been quite good.<br />I replaced the carb(roch 2brl) and intake on my omc and it made quite the improvement, enough to require a new prop.<br /><br />My bothers boat had a holley and had nothing but touble. Spent over 400 in rebuilds and tuning and still would not run right. replaced with the 1409 and after a Saturday of tuning it runs better than ever.<br /><br />Hope this helps...

FreeBeeTony

Captain

78, what type of tuning did your brother do? <br /><br />I am now thinking of re-jetting the secondaries.

salty87

Commander

i like my 1410, swapped out a holley 4 bbl. bolted right in place, only had to make a new fuel line and pcv port through adaptor plate. ran good out of the box. this was for a big block.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

salty, did you get it with or without the electric choke?

Ralph 123

Captain

OLDSEDDIE is right. It is the same carb used by Merc and referred to as the WFB (Weber Four Barrel). When made by Weber it is rated at 625 cfm by them and Merc but edelbrock rates it at 600 cfm. <br /><br />I use 2 of them and haven't had a single problem. Minimal tunning required. and I haven't had to touch them in about 4 seasons now. You can see them here:<br /><br />
cf8.JPG

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Looks like you have the electric choke......does it just require a 12v hook-up?

RomanRegal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes,<br />I got the model with the electric choke and scrapped the old in the manifold heat choke. You will need a 12 volt power source. Not from the coil. You will need an adapter if you use the stock manifold like I did. There are two adopters. One which has a large opening for all four barrels. This is not recommended by Edlebrock. There is an adopter that has has four separate holes for the barrels. The adapter adds about an inch or so to the height of the carb/flame arrestor. The adapter is need for the spead to square bore iddernces between the q-jet and the Edlebrock.<br />Roman

Bondo

Staff member

Tony,......<br />Why Don't you want the Ele. Choke,..???<br /><br />Personally,....... I think it's the Way to Go......<br /><br />I wish achris was around,,......<br />He's Very Familiar with the carbs we're dealing with.....<br /><br />Once I figured out that they're just old Carter AFBs........<br />And I could get Any,+ All the Parts I wanted,.....Inexpensively,... compared to If,+ When you can find Merc./Weber parts.......<br /><br />I Love Mine,...............

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Thanks bondo..........<br /><br />I think I am just going to replace it......<br /><br />I'm at my wits end...........don't know what else to do!<br /><br />What do you think? <br /><br />Do I need the adapter plate for the stock manifold? Could that be the problem in the first place being that I don't have the adapter installed now ?

salty87

Commander

FBT...electric choke....my holley was the same so it was pretty much plug and play