Boating the Upper Chesapeake

skargo

Banned
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

If I had a 5 hour business lunch, I would have to go right to my anger management seminar.

Not if you had lunch with us Bill.
I mean, do you really think I would give up a day of boating for a voluntary, loosely ran business lunch if I didn't enjoy it 100% and get a ton of knowledge out of it?
The people there are normal everyday people like me, who invest in Real Estate and want to avoid the sleazeballs that permeate this business. We have these meetings every 2-3 weeks and I look forward to them and learn something from every one I go to.

Now if I worked for someone, and had to go to a mandatory business lunch, in a suit, and tie, I'd be Mr Crankypants for sure!

spv22

Cadet

Im new to the bay Made 2 trips last year and 3 so far this year. ive been putting in at elk neck state park boat launch. Im from southern lancaster county, pa. Im still not 100% on locations around the bay, been to the nauti goose. and charlestown & chesapeake city. I was under the impression that the point at the end of elk neck was Turkey Point? is this correct? if that is not the name what is that point called? how far is it from there to jelly fish joels? Thanks for any input sorry so long.

Also how bout some locations to get fuel along the way. and is it just me or do most of the marinas stop pumping fuel after 5?

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

Im new to the bay Made 2 trips last year and 3 so far this year. ive been putting in at elk neck state park boat launch. Im from southern lancaster county, pa. Im still not 100% on locations around the bay, been to the nauti goose. and charlestown & chesapeake city. I was under the impression that the point at the end of elk neck was Turkey Point? is this correct? if that is not the name what is that point called? how far is it from there to jelly fish joels? Thanks for any input sorry so long.

Also how bout some locations to get fuel along the way. and is it just me or do most of the marinas stop pumping fuel after 5?

SPV22,
You are correct (or we're both wrong), but the point at elk neck is called Turkey Point. (where the Susquehana and the Elk come together.) It's approx. 16 miles from Turkey Point to Fairlee Creek. As for fuel, there are a number of marinas on the Sassafras River (on your port side as you head south) that will be happy to take your money, there's also Worton Creek Marina (also to port) just past Still Pond, but before you get to Fairlee Creek, and you can always get gas at Great Oak Landing Marina while your at JFJ. I can't be much help on the "times" question, b/c I usually fill up early in the morning.

Good luck and have fun.

skargo

Banned

You guys are right. The easy way to tell TP, is the lighthouse.
Here it is from land.
6020_246324355651_554955651_7931500_2129617_n.jpg

From the water,
7925_286747865651_554955651_8818949_945481_n.jpg

spv22

Cadet

hey thanks for the info guys, as i was referring to that as turkey point but then i noticed on the map down near baltimore a place called turkey point. kinda confusing.

skargo

Banned

hey thanks for the info guys, as i was referring to that as turkey point but then i noticed on the map down near baltimore a place called turkey point. kinda confusing.

Yep, there's another one down middle river way!

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

Just remember...no matter how many there are, the only one that counts is the one you're at...:D

aspeck

Staff member

Some year I really want to hook up with you guys and learn the Chesapeake. Heard there is great fishing there, and loads of fun. If I could only get the time ... gotta make it, but there are so many other things pulling at the calendar ...

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Some year I really want to hook up with you guys and learn the Chesapeake. Heard there is great fishing there, and loads of fun. If I could only get the time ... gotta make it, but there are so many other things pulling at the calendar ...

This wekend looks like a good one for boating. I'll have the Pontoon boat out at LLyod's Creek Saturday and maybe Sunday. May also hit Cabin John's cove and Hacks Point.

skargo

Banned

We'll be out this weekend for sure, looks like beautiful weather.

I just found out the Ragin on the River powerboat races are canceled this year. Bummer! I was looking forward to anchoring outside turn 2 again!

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

We'll be out at the sand island on Saturday. We will have some new to boating aquaphobics. I have been working for two summers to get her on the boat so I am not going anywhere that we might hit more than small wake. But they are good friends and it should be worth it. Heard there is a poker run out of Chesapeake City to Kent Island on Saturday, for anybody that likes to see the big boats fly by. There is a new boat (38' cat)out of North east that will do 180+MPH, I saw it coming into NE a few weeks ago and it sounds great. I know I will never have the money to spend on something like that, but if someone else has the cash to do it, I can enjoy the view.

skargo

Banned

We'll be out at the sand island on Saturday. We will have some new to boating aquaphobics. I have been working for two summers to get her on the boat so I am not going anywhere that we might hit more than small wake. But they are good friends and it should be worth it. Heard there is a poker run out of Chesapeake City to Kent Island on Saturday, for anybody that likes to see the big boats fly by. There is a new boat (38' cat)out of North east that will do 180+MPH, I saw it coming into NE a few weeks ago and it sounds great. I know I will never have the money to spend on something like that, but if someone else has the cash to do it, I can enjoy the view.
I've seen that boat! It hit 182 coming back from the Chesapeake Inn, crazy!!!

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

WOW!!! That is CRAZY FAST!!!! I honestly don't know if I have what it takes to go that fast on the water. If you think about where they do the "Land Speed Records", and why (It's totally flat), and then compare that to the unpredictability of the surface of water....WOW. That must be an amazing experience.

skargo

Banned

CRAZY fast is right. A few years ago my ex boss's friend died on the bay. is GPS said somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 as well. His was a helicopter engine powered boat(rotary?) Took them 2 weeks to find the passenger's body :eek:

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been in a 23' Scarab at near 80MPH and that was scary enough. I did not see a canopy on the cockpit so they would never hear me screaming(like a little girl). Can you imagine NE to turkey point in 3 minutes or Kent Island in 20.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Holy Cow!!! 180 mph is crazy indeed. That would have cut my 3 hour ride into Washington D.C. today down to like under 30 minutes!!!

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Time to get the sail boat in the water. I picked up the replacement sticker and have the tags on the trailer current. I think Saturday is going to be the day. I have not had her in the water under sail for a couple years. Where is everyone heading on Saturday? I am going to be different and do a little sailing unless there is no wind at all. Then old red will be pulled out of the stable for some adventures. If you pass a boston whaler Harpoon dont forget to wave and slow down. LOL those power boat wakes are killer under sail.

Philster

Captain

I'm coming to the Chesapeake for a whole week!

But I'll be waayyyyy down at the bottom, in St. Charles, right on the bay next to Kiptopeke State Park.

Anyone have a 180 MPH boat and wanna blast down to the bottom and hang out?! :D

I actually live off the C&D canal and only hit the Chessie once or twice a year. Go figure!
:p

seasickforever

Recruit

Is there anybody on here who boats around the upper Bay area? We go down several times a summer and are looking for other people to meet up and raft up. I go to a lot of the popular haunts but always anchor by myself because I don't know the ettiquette for rafting with people I don't know. So I thought if I got to meet some people on one of the forums I could get some answers or some boating friends which would be better. Thanks.

Nice place! Good luck!