Boating the Upper Chesapeake

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

I am planning on doing both. The only thing that I am worrying about is that I am getting there Sat. and not knowing the area I am afraid to got to North East in the boat.

Yes, North East is Sat. Night. I looked it up the other day. I would consider taking the boat is I can play follow the leader. I was hoping to get down before vacation but thing are just too hectic.
We'll be down there for both shows and we always anchor out, so if we can get our schedule right we can lead you in to Northeast no problem. I'll be launching out of Rogue Harbor, which is right by Turkey Point on the Elk river. Let me know where you are coming out of and we'll meet up and caravan in.
It was a nice day. I hadn't been to Cara Cove since 2003!
Of course, I went the long way around from HdG and idled in just past the second point on the south side to set anchor in 4' depth. I was right in front of those 2 huge brick homes that appear to be on the same manicured lot. After awhile I jumped in with my inflatable PFD just to check it (see my other post), then cleaned the waterline stain on "Winter Dream".
SuperNova and family stopped by for awhile but it was a little too rough to stay safely rafted, so they went over to the sandbar at the southern mouth so the kids could swim.
Good to see you again Stan! The 'new' V20 is sweet!
Thanks, it was good seeing you too, wish we could've hung out longer, but you're right, it was too rough. It was nice over on the western shore, though and we spent the rest of the day there just opposite Cara Cove. We didn't leave until about 7:30. Wonderful day. All in all we had a great week down there and look forward to the Fourth. Be bringing the Nova down then and I will have a radio on board, so that might make things easier. Got home about 11:30 last night...had to stop at my Uncle's place and force down some of those horrible Maryland Blue crabs he caught earlier that day....it was torture......managed to demolish a bushel between 4 of us though.....mostly 7 and 8 inchers....very heavy, too :):p.

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know most people have posted a picture of their boat on here. Its just I can never remember what they look like when I am out on the water. Nor can I remember their names to Hail on Channel 16.

I would like to start to teach my younger daughter to water ski in the evenings after work. I am thinking Lake Clarke might be the best place to do it but I have not been there yet. Maybe in the next few weeks we can meet someone that knows the lake and can show me the area? I live in Cockeysville and It only about an hour from me according to GPS

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

john3931 I'm also launching from rogue harbor. If u let me or supernova what your plans are i'm sure we can meet up somewhere

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would like to start to teach my younger daughter to water ski in the evenings after work. I am thinking Lake Clarke might be the best place to do it but I have not been there yet.

While Clarke is great on the weekday evenings....not much point in you driving past Conowingo to get there :p

If you check out the Lower Susquehanna thread that's where we've been discussing who's going out on Clarke/Conowingo, etc.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I know most people have posted a picture of their boat on here. Its just I can never remember what they look like when I am out on the water. Nor can I remember their names to Hail on Channel 16
Gotta write down descriptions of the boats, the names of the boats, and the names of the skippers. Take the list out on the boat with you the next time you go out...that's what I used to do. Sometimes you even have to write down the channels they usually monitor and their favorite hangout spots. Arks likes Sand Island, Skargo likes Cara Cove, I like the cove across from Cara Cove, Lloyds Creek on the Sassafrass and George's Point up on the Bohemia. See who is where doing what and try to link up. Good luck with it...so far I've only seen Arks and Lime4x4 in my travels.

skargo

Banned

I want to go to Still pond again next weekend.

skargo

Banned

I know most people have posted a picture of their boat on here. Its just I can never remember what they look like when I am out on the water. Nor can I remember their names to Hail on Channel 16.

I would like to start to teach my younger daughter to water ski in the evenings after work. I am thinking Lake Clarke might be the best place to do it but I have not been there yet. Maybe in the next few weeks we can meet someone that knows the lake and can show me the area? I live in Cockeysville and It only about an hour from me according to GPS

Why not teach her in the upper bay, way more options. Ask Ark about the spot near Sand Island, the water is almost always calm over there.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i'm usually in the bohemia,northeast river, Loyd's creek and i follow supernova over to harve de grace. let him hit bottom first...lol

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anybody going out Tuesday??? Hoping to drop in at Perryville (maybe DE city, but I don't have a permit yet) and making it to the Chesapeake inn for dinner. Maybe meet up with some friends near NE. hopefully just a cruise on a nice evening.

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im telling ya you dont need a permit lol. when do you plan on dropping in. were right in de city and wouldnt mind a cruise

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Why not teach her in the upper bay, way more options. Ask Ark about the spot near Sand Island, the water is almost always calm over there.
I'm beginning to think that your definition of "calm" and my definition of "calm" are two different things. lol

Better bet for learning to ski is in the Bohemia on the upstream side of the Rt 213 bridge near George Point. Just make sure it's high tide, although with your boat you probably won't have any problems.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

While Clarke is great on the weekday evenings....not much point in you driving past Conowingo to get there :p

If you check out the Lower Susquehanna thread that's where we've been discussing who's going out on Clarke/Conowingo, etc.
Just what are you trying to pull here??? Go fish somewhere else..:mad: :D

skargo

Banned

I'm beginning to think that your definition of "calm" and my definition of "calm" are two different things. lol

Better bet for learning to ski is in the Bohemia on the upstream side of the Rt 213 bridge near George Point. Just make sure it's high tide, although with your boat you probably won't have any problems.
HUH? I go out ALL the time and it is VERY calm sometimes. You need to get out down here more!

Near Turkey point,
5159_223329455651_554955651_7332510_4530799_n.jpg

By Elk neck,
5159_223329465651_554955651_7332512_7326327_n.jpg

Looking up towards the NE river
5159_223329480651_554955651_7332514_5746393_n.jpg

Across the flats looking toward APG,
5159_223329500651_554955651_7332517_4976915_n.jpg

Hell this was from this past Sunday at 11pm,
35805_10150214675570652_554955651_12939121_4905776_n.jpg

p.s. does anyone know what this ship is? Probably the biggest thing besides barges I've seen at HDG.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im telling ya you dont need a permit lol. when do you plan on dropping in. were right in de city and wouldnt mind a cruise

I'm telling you if someone is going to get nabbed it will be me!!! I just got a love letter from DEDOT about running an ezpass toll, but just one way. the transponder has been in the truck since I got the thing. Anyway now it looks like we will be hanging in the NE, with friends at Seneca point, and maybe hitting the Wellwood. Trust me if I have to go too much longer without getting to the Chesapeake inn, I will be dropping in at DE city as it is pretty easy to get to from 95, and the canal has always been a nice cruise for us.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Skargo,
apparently that big little ship is a small cruise ship that does local tours. I took friends out from work to Hart-Miller yesterday and they said these people came in to our restaurant and told them about it, I'll have to get more details and get back to you.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i swear I saw that same ship down in the severn river on firday morning.
It was right near the navy school there.

I remember I read what it said on the side, But I don't remember what it said.
It had 1 or 2 smoke stacks comming out the back.
down in annapolis that thing looked small comapred to the tankers lined up at the bay bridge.

and it is only calm at the sand islands if there is no wind. it is very open right there, so any wind will foil your plans.
just go skiing up in the river. near garret island

skargo

Banned

Hey Skargo,
apparently that big little ship is a small cruise ship that does local tours. I took friends out from work to Hart-Miller yesterday and they said these people came in to our restaurant and told them about it, I'll have to get more details and get back to you.
Cool, it was neat to see it there.
i swear I saw that same ship down in the severn river on firday morning.
It was right near the navy school there.

I remember I read what it said on the side, But I don't remember what it said.
It had 1 or 2 smoke stacks comming out the back.
down in annapolis that thing looked small comapred to the tankers lined up at the bay bridge.

and it is only calm at the sand islands if there is no wind. it is very open right there, so any wind will foil your plans.
just go skiing up in the river. near garret island
I am talking when you go past Sand Island and make a right, it is almost always calm there.
Hell, when it's windy it gets rough by Garret Island too.

My point is it's calm and flat many times all over the upper bay, yet it's rough sometimes too!
;)

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gotta write down descriptions of the boats, the names of the boats, and the names of the skippers. Take the list out on the boat with you the next time you go out...that's what I used to do. Sometimes you even have to write down the channels they usually monitor and their favorite hangout spots. Arks likes Sand Island, Skargo likes Cara Cove, I like the cove across from Cara Cove, Lloyds Creek on the Sassafrass and George's Point up on the Bohemia. See who is where doing what and try to link up. Good luck with it...so far I've only seen Arks and Lime4x4 in my travels.

Great idea and have thought of writting this all down. Its just I am never that organized LOL. Plus with a family I never know what direction I am heading in next. But I am going to do what you say and write it all down. I grew up on the upper bay and have done a ton of water skiing there. But to be honest I am more worried that ever with boat traffic there on weekends.

This weekend a friend was towing his 5 year old daughter on skis. Some $%^$^$ was driving his go fast boat like 100 yds behind her and of course she fell and when we all trurned around and yelled at him his comment was like she fell its not my fault. What the heck? I dont understand why boats will follow so close to boats towing skiers???? I once had a boat hook his lower unit over my ski line and was pulling me backwards right off carpenters point.

Ok Ok I am done ranting sorry.

I loved skiiing in Furnace Bay right off sand island but it is very shallow there and I am not sure how much grass is in there. It looks like there is a solom course still there though so someone must ski there.

Oh a different know I will be going to the Peter Frampton Concert at Peir 6 this Thursday if anyone eles is going let me know.

Josh in Pa

Cadet

This is my post here, but I've been following this thread for a while. I started at the beginning and read it at work during lunch, and going through the seasons on the bay reminds me of Michener's Chesapeake. What a great thread. Does anyone know anything about the chesapeake city fireworks on july 2? I've never been to fireworks on the boat, and was thinking about these if they are suitable. Thanks,
Josh

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

ok, scott is talking about swan creek.
The only thing I don't like about swan creek is that it is really shallow.
Most of it is 4 ft deep. So if you fall off your skis, you might hit your head.
But it is usually calm over there.