Boating the Upper Chesapeake

skargo

Banned
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Point taken, but as far as I was aware, your Dodge is more Scott powered at this point than Cummins-powered. Meaning, it ain't exactly stock anymore. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the cummins...best diesel on the market for mid-size trucks if you ask me.......the real problem is the sheet metal they wrap it in.....it says "Dodge" lol j/k by the way....my bread and butter and all that.....
Oh I agree on the sheet metal. I ran a body shop at a Dodge dealer for years. My truck is a rust bucket, but it adds to it's sleeper image :D
I've had this one for 8 years now, another 2 and I'll buy another, 3 year old Dodge. The newer styles don't seem to have the rust issues, especially in the doors.

skargo

Banned

i have a handheld vhf, so maybe it can just not brodcast that far.
I was hailing on 16, and 9.
Maybe, that's probably 10 miles or so away. I need to test my radio sometime. I called for radio checks on 16 and got no reply.

Where are the Sand islands located.?
It's about 3 miles south of Havre de Grace, along the HDG channel, right across from the fishing battery. It's due west of Turkey Point.

Attachments

• sand island.jpg
    sand island.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 0

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scott, How is Cara Cove? Can you get in shallow like SI? is there enough beach for the kids to play? Is there another achorage on the NE river maybe alittle further north? I have a friend at Bay Boat Works and he was talking about a place and I thought it was north of Charlestown, but it could have been Cara Cove.

skargo

Banned

Scott, How is Cara Cove? Can you get in shallow like SI? is there enough beach for the kids to play? Is there another achorage on the NE river maybe alittle further north? I have a friend at Bay Boat Works and he was talking about a place and I thought it was north of Charlestown, but it could have been Cara Cove.
We stay to the middle of Cara, typically reads 7-8' where we anchor. We swim with sport style PFD's. We go there out of habit, abd there's usually max 6-8' boats anchored there. Yesterday we were 1 of 3.

Charlestown is almost due west from Cara. They have a sand beach. Not sure how close you can get via boat though, I've never went over there. Their ramp is right next to the beach.

There looks to be other beaches, I know the christian camp has a nice setup.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

well now you can't anchor right next to a boat ramp...
people will think you drove 10 ft and stopped.

as far as the sand islands go, there are two green circles on the chart, which represent the islands. they are a mile off shore from the mouth of swan creek. the channel goes right thru the two islands.

skargo

Banned

well now you can't anchor right next to a boat ramp...
people will think you drove 10 ft and stopped.

as far as the sand islands go, there are two green circles on the chart, which represent the islands. they are a mile off shore from the mouth of swan creek. the channel goes right thru the two islands.
They are actually 2 white circles, which I circled on the chart I attached above. :D

Henry Shearon

Recruit

My wife and I spend a week in the Upper Chesapeake last summer... wonderful, beautiful place! We'll definitely be back at some point- don't know if we'll make it this summer again though. Next summer for sure!

We were out all day Saturday.. my brother and sister in law came and we had a blast.. we even did some tubing and skiing..

unfortunately water started to leak into my bilge..

We were out Sunday, but only for 2-3 hours.. that's why we didn't meet up with you Scott. We weren't taking a lot of water on, but at the time i didn't know what the cause was so i didn't want to go too far or stay out for too long..

the water was only coming in when the motor was in the trailer position so i suspected there was a hole in one of the bellows.

I took this picture today..

hole.jpg

I'm going to have Tome's take care of it.. It works out because this weekend is mother's day anyway so we didn't plan on using the boat...

skargo

Banned

Yep, that'll let her leak. Glad you caught it. We'll all see each other a lot this year I'm sure.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hey Bill - Cara Cove is nice but doesn't really have a beach.

The place your friend was talking about is North of Charlestown Marina. If you look at a map, it is right beside where the Amtrack railroad tracks run along the water.

I snapped some pics when I was out tonight and will post them Thursday night for you along with more info on the area.

I idled about 20 feet or so from the beach and read 3.5 feet on the depth finder. I have seen lots of boats right at the beach before.

It's always a popular spot during the summer. Not uncommon to see 3 or 4 big boats rafted together for the weekend.

I will post up more info on Thursday. (Can only do so much from a BlackBerry!)

SuperNova

Lieutenant

What about that sandbar on the Charlestown side, just below the public ramp? Seneca Point, I think.. We stayed in a vacation rental (the very first house south of that sandbar) once and I remember there were A LOT of boats/people hanging out at that sandbar. Nobody stayed overnight from what I remember......any info?

skargo

Banned

I actually saw a bunch of boats rafted up where Brandon mentioned this past Sunday.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Well looks like I'm gonna be a two-boat owner again. Going this afternoon to pick up a 1987 Wellcraft V-20 Steplift Cuddy Cabin with a 1987 Mercury Black Max 150 outboard all sitting on a 2005 Loadrite galvanized roller trailer- Needs seats and other minor stuff.....been sitting covered and winterized for a couple of years, but comes with a boatload (pun intended) of extras that have all been stored properly and are in nice shape. The boat itself has been buffed and detailed, I'll try to get some pics when I get a chance. I'm stoked.
http://us.mc398.mail.yahoo.com/mc/s...cmd=msg.scan&pid=3&tnef=&fn=wellcraft+002.JPG

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, a lot of folks are up here. :D We just bought a house on the upper Elk this fall and I've been thrashing on by 'ol boat trying to get her ready for the water by mid May. Sounds like there are lots of places to run to once I get a little confidence the the boat. Any suggestions aside from Chesapeake City on the east side of the state park?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Well looks like I'm gonna be a two-boat owner again. Going this afternoon to pick up a 1987 Wellcraft V-20 Steplift Cuddy Cabin with a 1987 Mercury Black Max 150....
Great news Stan! I guess you got some positive feedback from the 'pros', right?
Now the only problem will be which boat to haul down here!

Sounds like there are lots of places to run to once I get a little confidence the the boat. Any suggestions aside from Chesapeake City on the east side of the state park?
Hello and WELCOME! Lots of good people around here, even that guy who likes to occasionally 'stir the pot'. :D:D
As far as places to go- it depends what you want. Do you like to ski/tube, swim, hang out with others (or all alone), cruise to a destination, cruise for sightseeing, travel to other towns/restaurants......I could go on.
One thing's for sure- there's PLENTY of variety when it comes to boating these parts!
Before you launch, get yourself a good depthfinder and nautical chart of the area.
Do you have any boating experience?
What kind of boat do you have?
Will you keep it in the water or trailer it?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i just got a slip for my sailboat at the water street marina.
I launched it today, at the riverwalk marina in perryville. And i just tied it to a slip there till I'm ready to take it to water street. Boy was that boat had to back up into the slip.
the wind was blowing me all around.
the boat goes fine forward, but is nearly impossible to reverse.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, that was quick! I thought you'd be all summer getting her ready to launch.
Congratulations Cap'n Bowman!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

i just got a slip for my sailboat at the water street marina.
I launched it today, at the riverwalk marina in perryville. And i just tied it to a slip there till I'm ready to take it to water street. Boy was that boat had to back up into the slip.
the wind was blowing me all around.
the boat goes fine forward, but is nearly impossible to reverse.
Cool. I always wanted to learn how to sail, so I'm envious.....Congratulations!!

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is great, bowman. I hope I get to see the boat when on vacation.