Model number angst apology

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Model number angst apology

Can someone also tell me how to get the flywheel off so that I can replace the wiring there? Sure looks like I'm in for an uphill battle LoL. :/

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here's some test for the points, & cdi, it's on 2 pages.

http://www.boatpartstore.com/page28.asp

you need a harmonic balancer puller, with #8 strength 1/4 X20 bolts to go into the flywheel, the softer bolts will strip of in the fly wheel. get the puller level so it gives an even pull. get it tight then a good rap on the center bolts, and it should "POP" off. if not leave tension on it and pb blaster, liquid wrench soak. do not hammer on the flywheel!!

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=28;gtid=1210765

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm in for some fun aren't I? LMAO I'm going to have to wait until I can afford the puller though :-(

There are new pics on the website. Ran out of space on the cam though so no hull pictures yet. I'll take them ASAP though!

Thanks for all your advice, it really is appreciated.

I wish I still had the tools that I had in England. Dang hard work starting from scratch again :)

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree the engine does look pretty clean but, the wiring is pretty shot too. I'm hoping that there is a short causing the lack of spark. Fingers crossed!

tashasdaddy

there is laingsoutboard.com and also seawaymarine.com that carry older parts. along with iboats. also Napa Auto Parts has a 640 page outboard parts manual. find a bigger store.

tashasdaddy

also found this CD manual, at a reasonable price ebay #230100038219

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll check those out! I'm hoping it's not something major like the powerpack or the project may come grinding to a halt. At $232 it is WAY out of my reach. Let's hope that it's a short circuit huh? :)

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I rewired the entire engine today. The wires where in a real mess. Still no spark. Points look ok. Wires are ok now. I ordered the manual. Not sure what to try next. The wires that come out of the powerpack were in really bad shape and all I could do was wrap them with insulating tape. I fear that they have been shorting out on each other and may have fried the powerpack or, some other part. Any ideas? Have you ever heard of anybody dissasembling a powerpack?

I also added some acknowledgments to the website today.

I have more pictures of the boat that I am hoping to add tomorrow. It's been a very long day!

tashasdaddy

the power pack from what i understand is a circuit board type thing. no body calls for a core or have i ever heard of a rebuilt one. spent the day with my nephew's 2 jet ski's. one looks like a carb rebuild. the other has possible 1 of 4 things wrong, still more trouble shooting. time for a beer. looking for the boat pictures, from what i could see looks like a good project. keep the small enough, you can see the progress.

that was extremely nice of you to add the credits. but most of us get the pleasure from helping others, and hearing back they are enjoying there boat. we love ours, a boating family is a happy family, and the boat always brings them home.(most of the time) email me at tashasdaddy@comcast.net i'll send you picture of my family of boats.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Having a beer too. Too tired to do anything but chill in front of the tv LoL. The powerpacks are sealed with some kind of resin but I am thinking Dremel! I am pretty good with electronics ( better than with engines anyway :) ). Good luck with th skis. I haven't given up on the boat OR the motor yet. I'm looking forward to reading the manual!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Correct, the amplifier is potted in epoxy. I tried to take one apart one time. No Way!!. But one thing for sure, if it ain't broke now it will be when you go digging in there.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you think there is any way to use a Dremel type tool to gain access? I'll try everything else to try get a spark first but, as a last attempt, it's just gonna have to get Dremmelled! LoL. The cheapest I have seen a new one is over $200 and I just don't have that much. Somehow, some way, I'm gonna be on the water this season :) If I have to use paddles then so be it ;-)

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oops, I think I made the sig a bit too big :/

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That should be better. Sorry about that. I'm a bbcode virgin :)

tashasdaddy

looking at the avatar, that will make a good combo, you can use milk crates for seats, till you can buy new.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To ccnstlr :- Centre, Alabama

To tashasdaddy :- Not sure whether I should thank you for the tip or send you a chocolate teapot for yer cheek LMAO. If I ever manage to get an engine that works I can make my own seats LoL :).

I've updated the website. Take a look and let me know what you think.

tashasdaddy

i think that boat is in better condition than it looks. a good washing, save the trim that does on the edge, it can be glue back on. looks like it has the cable pulley steering. keep that for vintage. by the way i've test run more boats than i can count on a milk crate. as kids those were our seats, the boat just had one bench seat and and open back. email me at tashasdaddy@comcast.net will send you picts of some of my projects.