Uh-Oh- Water pump installation off to a shaky start?

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Uh-Oh- Water pump installation off to a shaky start?

Alright fellas... I got her up! Finally :) I just pulled that bolt thing out!

Now I just cant get the lower unit off. I got all 7 bolts out... minus the two that broke off but they aint holding it in. It has dropped down about an inch but I cant get it to budge from there.

On the first step, I pulled that pin out and it said to push the thing in toward the powerhead. I did that. Could that still be locking it or what?

This is the thing im talking about...

step1.jpg

The lower unit is basically sitting just like this... but I have it tilted. You can see the inch gap in there.

almost1.jpg

gss036

Commander

Neal, I feel sorry for you, I just went through the same thing w/my Honda. "COBALT" drill bits are a must and slow drilling and patience. I went through all the above.
When you are sure you have all the bolts out, you might have to put some heat at the seperation point and maybe even use "wood"/plastic wedges to seperate it. You really don't want to break the aluminum housing.
PB Blaster is a good product, if you don't have some, get it, best penetrating oil on the market as far as I am concerned.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fellas we cannot get this thing to BUDGE! Its dropping about an inch and that is it. I have it in neutral. The pin is out and we push it to disengage it and then try working the lower unit off... Its not working so well. We cant get it to move and it still feels like the thing is stuck up top. I can even see it still hooked in.

That whole bar is supposed to come out right? It is curved at the top of it. The bar im referring to is the gear shifter rod. Does it sound like its just not dis-engaging? Does anyone have any pictures of what this dis-engage/engage thingy looks like. We can only see it through a little hole and I dont know enough to pull the carbs and all that out to take a look.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

gss036

Commander

If you have been running in saltwater for many years, there is the possibility that the drive shaft splines are stuck in the engine because of rust or salt buildup. Can you see if it is moving?
Maybe it's time for wedges. Put something under the lower end to support it so it does not fall to the ground if and when it comes loose.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yah im not sure if its been in saltwater or not. When you say drive shaft splines im not 100% sure what your talking about. Me and a buddy have been working on it for a few hours. Its just not moving down at all. I honestly think its not dis-engaging and allowing the gear shift thing to come down. When we pull on the bottom to try and pull it down it is still moving the shift parts up top near the engine so I think it might just no be popping off right?

gyoung

Seaman Apprentice

Neal

First put some bolts back in and screw up a bit to relieve the tension on the shift rod.

Then remove the blue linkage to the shift rod lever.

Then get the two linkages from the remote cables out of the way. I just undo the clip that holds them down that is just after the black plastic adjustment wheels. Be careful not to turn them and throw the adjustment out. The linkages can now be lifted out of the way by lifting the cables so the shift lever can be pushed in far enough to disengage.

Gently turn the shift lever clockwise as you push it in. You can tell when it is disengaged as it will turn freely.

Then undo the bolts and drop the lower unit.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to be sure what your talking about when you say the blue linkage... is this it?

question.jpg

gyoung

Seaman Apprentice

Neal,

Yes. Remove that and the lever can rotate freely. I have to get the 2 control rods that are in behind the lever out of the way so it the lever will push far enough in to disengage. You may want to try without moving them first to see if it will disengage.

I see you have the correct pin removed on the axle to allow you to push in.

Good luck.

Edit: The shift lever will rotate freely (after it has disengaged).

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks bud! Ill give it a shot in the AM and let you know what the outcome is!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

What gyoung said is absolutely correct. Follow the advice...It can take some doing to get it to come loose. Just have patience. Taking the throttle and shift cable loose as suggested is almost a must to really move the lever in and turn it......

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

in your post that you circled the "blue linkage"?remove that cotter pin ,the idea ,if you dont understand ,is to push that linkage as though sliding it through the guides,on the far side is a pin that slips through the shift shaft hole,by pushing and turning a bit you should accomplish disconnection of the shift shaft,if you feel pressure that wont allow you to move that linkage back and forth with ease it is probably still connected,in the picture it dont look like you pushed it over enough to allow for the pin to dislodge,but the picture is just a picture,the stainless washer should be over more toward the collar the linkage slides through and the hole the pin you took out should be unseen ,it is possible that having pulled the lower down with some force ,it might not be easy to slide the linkage over you may need to pull the lower unit back up a bit,

gyoung

Seaman Apprentice

NealLauderman said:
Thanks bud! Ill give it a shot in the AM and let you know what the outcome is!

Neal,

How are you making out?

You seem to be getting posts that are not showing up for me?

gyoung

It's working. I didn't notice Page 2. Sorry.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Guys!

I got it! GYoung... your advice was excellent. I took the pin out and pushed it hard as I could and the lower unit just popped right off! Thanks a ton. Go figure... afterwards it started raining so I aborted the project for the day :p

I have to work the two screws out that busted in the upper part then I can install it all. The water pump/ impeller looked new already and didnt need to be replaced but since I had the parts I did it anyways!

I will post more later. Might take it down to the machine shop tomorrow and let them weld nuts onto the end so we can just pull the bolts out easy.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I don't know if you or anyone else mentioned it yet, I didn't notice if they did,........

I would probably get some new bolts for that Lower unit and start fresh with ones that have non-rounded heads for easier removal next time. If it were me I would get OMC (Bombardier) replacements from your local marina since they will have the exact thread patten. They can be pricey, but to me its worth the peace of mind.

Oh and don't over-torque them when you put them in. I did and snapped the last bolt and had to start over....luckily I had enough bolt to grab with some vice grips. I would also suggest using gasket sealer on the bolts that you put back in.....I think the manual might say to do that as well but I cant remember.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Soak the bolts good overnight and you might get lucky tomorrow. And the impellers usually do look good. It's the "Set" they take on the rubber vanes that's sometimes a problem....Nice job on getting her loose....
fing11.gif

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yah hopefully if tomorrow goes well we can get her back together. Being stupid I still haven't done a compression test. For all I know I could have wasted all my time LOL!

Pony, thats a good idea. I need to get some anyways... I might as well get new ones!

Is there any good tips to putting it back on? I heard that getting the big shifter rod back in right is a real pain. Is that the case?

Pony

Rear Admiral

Make sure the shifter where you disconnected it and the lower unit are both in the same gear.

Grease the drive shaft splines......but NOT the very top of it. Doing so can cause it not to seat fully.

Use all new gaskets

Make sure the water tube is connected to the pump housing before you slide everything back up. If it wont go you might have to turn the flywheel a little by hand as you seat the drive shaft. (take spark plugs out)

Use gasket sealer on the bolts.

I am sure others have some great tips as well.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,

I will keep that in mind as we put it back together. I am currently still trying to get the two bolts out that we broke :( They are being a real big pain. There is still a bit of them hanging out so I have tried lots of heat and wd-40 and what not. I am still not able to get them to move.

Today on my lunch break I ran to Advanced Auto Parts and picked up some PB Buster! I am sure hoping that works. Figure ill soak it when I get home and let it sit about 15 minutes and then soak it again and wait 15 more. Then I will go ahead and give it another go. If everything works right I will get them off :)

Anyone else have any ideas? I am thinking if this doesn't work im just gonna bring it to a machine shop and let them weld a nut onto the end of it or do whatever they would like.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You can grab the shift rod with long reach needle nose pliers here. Makes it alot easier to position when lining it up...

ShiftRodAccess-1.jpg