MD-80

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Pulled the drive today, clunking noise on 4.3 OMC Now

Red

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

seahorse5 said:
You do not have to buy the parts catalog. Just go to http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Introduction.htm

click on engine diagrams

click on the drop down box that says PRODUCTS and choose stern drive, click GO

Click on the year, then the model number, then the part section that you wish to view

Seahorse is the man when it comes to BRP products, and the above link is a great resource.

However I printed out a copy of one of the diagrams and the resolution is nowhere near as clear as in the parts catalog. If you're going to be doing alot of work on your boat yourself and want clear pics by your side as you go, it may still be worth seeing if you can find a copy of the Parts Catalog on eBay for $10-$15 dollars. If you won't be doing that much yourself, save your money.

If you do get a copy of the parts cataolg, note that the above link from Seahorse has up-to-date notes that won't be in the original Parts Catalog. I'm transcribing them into my Catalog right now. Thanks Seahorse!

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

Does anybody have a good idea on how to remove the gimble bearing outer race and seal. I have a bearing puller that has the feet facing out but you still need something in the center to push on. Do you think I could use something like a steel rod and push that up against the fly wheel coupler and then push on the steel rod?

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

It shouldn't be that hard to insert the gimble bearing and seal should it? I have put bearings on before but not the gimble bearing in a boat. In the manual it says to coat the metal casing on the seal behind the gimble bearing with gasket sealer, don't you think that most if not all the gasket seal will be rubbed of when seating it?

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

I guess this thread got a little to long to get anymore questions answered. Well I appreciate the ones that were.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

MD-80 I gave you the information on where to get the original parts catalog, service manual and owners manual. Not reprints from e-bay nor after market. Just a reminder but for someone that seems determined to "do it right" these manuals are a must. See my link above, call em up!

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

About 5 jerks with a slide hammer and my gimbal bearing came right out. A lot of auto parts stores have them to rent for cheap. You need one with fingers that will grab the bearing race and can be locked in that position.
The bearing was fairly easy to install. Mine is too old to have grease zerks so I had to remove the bearing from the housing and grease it through the little holes in the side. I'm not familiar with OMC. I made sure the bearing was straight in the housing and then drove it in with a large seal driver that we had in our shop. Slipped the alignment tool through it and into the coupler and was ready to go.
Your situation could have been MUCH worse, and would have been if you hadn't caught it. I'm sure you'll have several bucks in the project but look on the bright side, when you're done you'll know the condition of your drive, you should still have some season left to enjoy, there's always next year and with good maintienance you shouldn't have these problems for a long time, if ever.
Good luck.

KaGee

Admiral

I don't have a gimbal, but my buddy does and he has a slide hammer for it's removal.

Sorry you feel that way MD80.

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't mean to write that post in a way that made it sound like I was dissapointed. I am very appreciative of the help evey one has given me. It's just nicer to hear it from people that have acutually done it that simply reading it from a manual.
I havn't been a able to figure out if I need to pull the gimble bearing housing out to get the seal behind it out yet. As soon as my parts get here though it should be pretty easy to tell.

KaGee

Admiral

Getting an old seal out is not the issue... you can do whatever necessary... that seal is not going to be re-used. It's getting the new one in without tearing it up!

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

UpDate

I just got the outdrive back from the shop. I had a shop reomove the input shaft and replace the seal around that. I think I have everything I need to go ahead and put this thing back together. I do have a question about gimble bearing alignment. I know it shouldn't be that off but I want to check it while I have the drive pulled. I have heard from one mechanic that I use the alignment tool to move the gimble bearing around in the housing and from another mechanic that I adjust the engine mounts which one is it?

If anybody can think of anything I might miss when I put this thing back togther please let me know. I haven't filled the frive with gear fluid yet either. That damn plug that I accidently pulled out was a SOB to get back in.

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

I got the alignment tool I ordered in the mail today so wish me luck putting this stuff back together.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't worry about replacing the seal behind the gimble bearing.

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

Damn I already pulled the old one so I guess I need to put in the new one.